ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Petol prices - why no action this time? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/646004-petol-prices-why-no-action-this-time.html)

pslewis 07 November 2007 12:33 PM

You would all be bleeting and crying if a strike started to hit your freedom of movement :lol1:

Lets look at the facts:-

1. We all drive thristy cars - so, actually, we ARE WILLING to pay more than we have to to drive our chosen vehicle.

2. The world oil price is to blame - nowt to do with Taxes.

3 Want to HALF your fuel bill and still do the mileage you do? BUY A DIESEL!!

Simple choices really ....

And everyone go on strike ................. but wait until I've filled my cars up to the brim, then off you jolly well strike!! :D

SetoN 07 November 2007 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7391694)
You would all be bleeting and crying if a strike started to hit your freedom of movement :lol1:

1. We all drive thristy cars - so, actually, we ARE WILLING to pay more than we have to to drive our chosen vehicle.

I dont think were ranting about how much petrol our cars use :wonder:

The 'fact' is; the petrol price increase effects a 1.0 Corsa driver just as much as it effects a subaru owner.

SetoN

JohnD 07 November 2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7391694)

2. The world oil price is to blame - nowt to do with Taxes.

And everyone go on strike ................. but wait until I've filled my cars up to the brim, then off you jolly well strike!! :D

Pete - Behave! Your arguement is seriously flawed.
1) Yes, we do drive thirsty cars but everything is relative. Why should we accept the price of fuel any more than someone who drives a Micra!
2) World oil price is, of course PARTLY to blame. Approaching 70% of the price of fuel is TAX so you're happy with that are you?
3) Cost of diesel is higher (than NUL) the cost of the car is higher, consumption is lower, however, have you ever worked out what mileage you need to do to break even? Idiots who buy new diesels rarely work that one out! (could they work it out - probably not!)

Little bit of thought before spouting wouldn't go amiss?
JohnD

pslewis 07 November 2007 01:26 PM

I thought the complaints were about the extra costs each individual have to pay??

The MICRA driver is hit by a lesser degree because they use less fuel for the same milage covered - they are also limited as to the savings they can make.

Subaru Impeza Turbo drivers have CHOSEN to pay much more per mile than most other drivers ..... therefore, if the complaint is about the extra costs then we can all save a huge amount by buying - say - a Skoda Octavia Diesel.

But, if the thread is NOT about the extra cost of fuel then carry on ..... if it is, my points are valid.

pslewis 07 November 2007 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SetoN (Post 7391750)
The 'fact' is; the petrol price increase effects a 1.0 Corsa driver just as much as it effects a subaru owner.

SetoN

See my post above ....... the effect is NOT 'just as much' .... the Impreza Turbo driver is hit MUCH harder.

MPC-GTR 07 November 2007 01:45 PM

Filled up yesterday to find that V-power now costs 109.9p/litre when last week it was 106.9p/l and the week prior to that 103.9p/litre. I can't believe that oil prices are that unstable that petrol pump prices to to change so significantly in the space of 2 weeks. Even 95ron is 104.9p/litre now - An all time high without any apparent media fuss this time. I sympathise with the haulier companies and other companies who don't have the luxury of changing their prices to the consumer every week.

Del mar 07 November 2007 01:56 PM

Is it that our Spirit is broken ?

There is so much nonsense coming from all politicians that we have given up. I can no longer say "Boo to a goose" because he may be offended by it.

Banning of Christmas by local councils no longer shocks people, we have that many ridiculous ideas and schemes that we can not fight them all.

Similar to the Monks in Burma, with the last fuel blockades we gave it everything, and still nothing changes.

Del

SetoN 07 November 2007 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 7391818)
See my post above ....... the effect is NOT 'just as much' .... the Impreza Turbo driver is hit MUCH harder.

Case study

Impreza driver: does 22mpg, but only uses car weekends only. Gets to work using public transport.

Micra driver Does 45mpg, uses car 40 miles a day to and from work mon-friday and weekend social domestic and 'pleasure'. (there is no pleasure driving a micra i might note!)

Which driver would be hit harder by the increase in petrol price?

:p

JohnD 07 November 2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Del mar (Post 7391891)
Is it that our Spirit is broken ?

There is so much nonsense coming from all politicians that we have given up. I can no longer say "Boo to a goose" because he may be offended by it.

Banning of Christmas by local councils no longer shocks people, we have that many ridiculous ideas and schemes that we can not fight them all.

Similar to the Monks in Burma, with the last fuel blockades we gave it everything, and still nothing changes.

Del

To a large extent, this is true. The government know that they can (and do) simply ignore the comments of the people. The 10 Downing street petition website is a typical example. The public (not me!) voted them into power, they therefore have the veto to make decisions on our behalf, even if it goes against the wishes of the majority of the people.
JohnD

Paul3446 07 November 2007 05:42 PM

It only needs 3 people to act. One in each lane and drive along the motorway at 30 mph, that shold make them take notice. :thumb:

ghg 07 November 2007 05:50 PM

if i had to py for all my fuel id be on a bus nearly all the time :eek:

its so expensive :( the thing that really gets me is that the main part of the cost is tax so the government could easily reduce that at anytime, but instead they let us pay through the teeth.

George

JohnD 07 November 2007 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ghg (Post 7392369)
if i had to py for all my fuel id be on a bus nearly all the time :eek:

its so expensive :( the thing that really gets me is that the main part of the cost is tax so the government could easily reduce that at anytime, but instead they let us pay through the teeth.

George

Don't forget - the more the oil companies put it up, the more the govt. makes in tax! This last round of fuel company hikes has netted the govt. billions!

JohnD

Marky9074 07 November 2007 06:43 PM

I think your all missing the point

Oil prices slide toward $95 after setting record - USATODAY.com

The current rise in pump price IS directly attributable the price per barrel.

RB5_245 07 November 2007 07:11 PM

Are you taking the exchange rate into accout with that. 5 or so years ago it was nearer 1.5 than 2.

Dave

explore 07 November 2007 07:46 PM

civil wars sort things like this out lol

Marky9074 07 November 2007 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by RB5_245 (Post 7392613)
Are you taking the exchange rate into accout with that. 5 or so years ago it was nearer 1.5 than 2.

Dave

The exchange rate has absolutely no relevance to the current price of oil over the same period...

Exchange Rates Graph (British Pound, American Dollar)

British Pound to U.S. Dollar Exchange Rate - Yahoo! Finance

Marky9074 07 November 2007 08:26 PM

To quote my link...

Oil prices are up 42% since August.
Not quite sure what you lot are moaning about, a few pence increase, whereas it has the potential of increasing a whole lot more.

Alan MaC 07 November 2007 08:30 PM

PIPELINE CARD.

I got an E Mail off Ben last week to say that the "Latest Petrol Company" to renage on a Fuel Discount Card had shafted them.

It is widely expressed on here that the Petrol Discount Card Scheme that works in Europe is a Scam etc/Con/ whatever.

If we could get enough people to sign up ( if you think it's a scam don't do it) could this actually work?

Until I have evidence to prove it is a scam, I think Ben should get our support.

I think they have over 400,000 people signed up to this & the Oil Comanies have said, get a million & you could have a deal.

What do you think, Deal Or No Deal???

Regards

Alan MaC

firesorter 07 November 2007 08:35 PM

why protest when all the worlds wrongs can be sorted from behind a keyboard!!!! :razz:

amego 07 November 2007 08:37 PM

the end of the day its our fault for letting the goverment get a way with it i now a couple of french and spanish truckers weved talked a bout taxes and thay say there would be murder if thay had to pay our taxes

pslewis 07 November 2007 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SetoN (Post 7391909)
Case study

Impreza driver: does 22mpg, but only uses car weekends only. Gets to work using public transport.

Micra driver Does 45mpg, uses car 40 miles a day to and from work mon-friday and weekend social domestic and 'pleasure'. (there is no pleasure driving a micra i might note!)

Which driver would be hit harder by the increase in petrol price?

:p

You need to quote like-for-like for your point to hold water, for example:-

Impreza driver: Drives 200 miles per week, @ 22mpg, petrol cost = £1:10 a litre, cost of fuel alone per week = £45:43

Micra driver Drives 200 miles per week, @ 50mpg, petrol cost = £1:00 a litre, cost of fuel alone per week = £18:16

A 5p rise in a litre each has this effect:-

Impreza driver: Needs to find an extra £2:06 a week

Micra driver Needs to find an extra 91p a week

So, to say that they are affected just the same is bollox ..... however, I agree that the Micra driver gets poorer value for money ;) :lol1:

pslewis 07 November 2007 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 7392358)
It only needs 3 people to act. One in each lane and drive along the motorway at 30 mph, that shold make them take notice. :thumb:

And get themselves dragged into the hedge and beaten senseless!!

Yeah!!! Good Plan and where will you be? Behind your keyboard demanding others fight for you? :lol1:

Martin2005 07 November 2007 09:25 PM

Protest! what are you going to protest about, high global oil prices? The weakness of the dollar?

I know we all hate it but fuel tax is the fairest way of taxing conjestion and emmisions; the more you use the more you pay!

The alternative would only be to put up tax on something else, then we'd all complain about that:lol1:

pslewis 07 November 2007 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 7392963)
Protest! what are you going to protest about, high global oil prices? The weakness of the dollar?

I know we all hate it but fuel tax is the fairest way of taxing conjestion and emmisions; the more you use the more you pay!

The alternative would only be to put up tax on something else, then we'd all complain about that:lol1:

Sensible post ...... but, alas, not what the muppets on SN want to hear ;)

borat52 07 November 2007 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1 (Post 7390589)
The last time fuel prices edges well over a pound / litre, there were talks about mass strikes and demonstrations. Why has everyone accepted the recent prices without that much talk about it?

Ok, the prices have crept up slowly, but surely it's time to start some demonstations! I can afford the costs, but I still hate being fleeced by the oil companies and governent.

It's mad that the oil companies control how much is being produced to create artificial shortages, to push up prices. If Microsoft tried summit like that, they'd be in court paying millions in fines!

Anders

People will put up with it so long as they feel 'rich'. At the moment people will accept a few pence on fuel as long as their house goes up by £20k this year, and the next, and the year after (they wont do for much longer)

However, I think this is misdirected at the oil companies, the likes of BP would like to pump as much fuel as they can at the current price - its worth a fortune to them to sell it at record highs. Its opec who control supply, they set fixed limits on how many barrels a day may be delivered and revise this from time to time.

Ultimately its purely supply and demand, the oil markets are traded electronically these days to a worldwide marketplace and the current price simply reflect a growing demand with very little increase in supply.

That does not excuse what our government are/have been doing for years, at £1/litre 65.3p goes to the government. That would be acceptable to me if it was being put into alternative fuel research but it simply is not.

Instead of moaning about the fuel price I'd favour bullying the government into making grants available to private industry to research and develope alternative fuel.
We might even get an industry in the UK by doing this instead of having half of the country on the public payroll dreaming up new ways of wasting the private sectors money or on out of work benefits.

If push comes to shove its better in my opinion to run a hydrogen generation plant turning water into hydrogen off a nuclear power station than to carry on with this oil importing, it will cripple our economy if the price continues to rise.

+Doc+ 07 November 2007 09:44 PM

Its ok, Im sure the government will hit us doubly as hard when pay per mile driving comes into law :D

pslewis 07 November 2007 09:48 PM

Whatever it costs we will still pay - we are collectively much richer as each year passes.

RichardS2005 07 November 2007 10:01 PM

It makes me mad how this is all so stage managed.....since when was putting the wrong fuel in your car a top BBC story.....when you combine it with the 'high cost of petrol' story that's when! The timing of the AA to release their press releases as petrol prices soar past the £1 a litre mark is no conincidence. I know I sound like a conspirationist but am I the only one that thinks this?

The trouble is we are all like sheep - we wait for the media/press to push a story and jump on the bandwagon. Unfortunately when it comes to criticising the sneaky and unscrupulous taxes we pay they all seem to turn a blind eye!

If we had more hard nosed and investigative journalists perhaps a better angle on the rising fuel prices would have been how much extra cash the government is raking in as prices rise and what exactly are they doing with this windfall???

As I see it, they budget fuel tax income based on their predicted price of oil if it rises past their prediction they get more tax don't they? So either they are crap at budgeting as they have to bank on rises in oil prices for their extra income or just greedy and willing to rip off the public.

It doesn't matter what car you drive - Subaru or Diesel (I drive both but you can guess which one I use for my 130 a day commute), that's just missing the point - the government is perfectly happy to rape and pillage our money and we accept it!

my two pence.....

Rich

pslewis 07 November 2007 10:10 PM

The government take taxes to pay for hospitals, the elderly, children and Education - they pay to defend us, to keep us safe and to stop the rule of the jungle being king .....

It all costs money, lets cut petrol tax by 10p a litre - and add 2% to the tax rate?

Where would you rather be taxed, if not through fuel?

Martin2005 07 November 2007 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by RichardS2005 (Post 7393063)
It makes me mad how this is all so stage managed.....since when was putting the wrong fuel in your car a top BBC story.....when you combine it with the 'high cost of petrol' story that's when! The timing of the AA to release their press releases as petrol prices soar past the £1 a litre mark is no conincidence. I know I sound like a conspirationist but am I the only one that thinks this?

The trouble is we are all like sheep - we wait for the media/press to push a story and jump on the bandwagon. Unfortunately when it comes to criticising the sneaky and unscrupulous taxes we pay they all seem to turn a blind eye!

If we had more hard nosed and investigative journalists perhaps a better angle on the rising fuel prices would have been how much extra cash the government is raking in as prices rise and what exactly are they doing with this windfall???

As I see it, they budget fuel tax income based on their predicted price of oil if it rises past their prediction they get more tax don't they? So either they are crap at budgeting as they have to bank on rises in oil prices for their extra income or just greedy and willing to rip off the public.

It doesn't matter what car you drive - Subaru or Diesel (I drive both but you can guess which one I use for my 130 a day commute), that's just missing the point - the government is perfectly happy to rape and pillage our money and we accept it!

my two pence.....

Rich

I think you are a bit misinformed, the tax take from petrol is fixed, it's not impacted by rising prices (apart from VAT of course)