ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   iPhone (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/633411-iphone.html)

Markus 12 September 2007 04:52 PM

I have been following things this morning and it seems that iphonesimfree may have done a runner. They have released some licences and software to resellers but seem to have gone a bit deaf.

One chappy has posted a link to the iphonesimfree software on this thread (actual link to sw is here). Question is wether this requires communication to iphonesimfree servers or not, if so then it won't work, if it does not, then I'd guess it'll work. It's a nice GUI solution to the unlock and could work in a similar way as to the free unlock.

Engadget had this page with info and a vid on using the iphonesimfree software, so if one were inclinced to do so, they could download the sw and follow that guide and see if it worked.

Mogsi 25 September 2007 04:58 PM

On the subject of 'unlocked' iphones...

» Apple to nuke unlocked iPhones with next update | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

JackClark 25 September 2007 05:02 PM

Clever money waits for a fresh crack before updating.

TonyBurns 27 September 2007 12:20 AM

Sounds good ;) some minor downsides though, Point 1, cost from the US is slightly less than that of the uk, though with the addition of vat it puts it on par or slightly over the cost of a uk phone.
Point 2 is that you can only buy this phone with a contract in the UK from O2 or carphone warehouse.
Point 3, only O2 have support for this phone, so have any problems with it and your stuffed.....

Tony:) (9/11/07@1200hrs ;))

JackClark 27 September 2007 08:05 AM

Apple seems to state that the iPhone will be available from the Apple Online store and a shops.

"iPhone combines a revolutionary mobile phone, widescreen iPod, and breakthrough Internet device into one lightweight handheld device. And it’s coming to the Apple Online Store and Apple Retail Stores in the UK on November 9, 2007, with O2 as the only UK carrier partner."

I'd most likely pay the extra for a UK phone if and when they're cracked, hopefully there will be a pay as you go option as in the US, unlock it, use it with my contract then if things go wrong I should have full support from the Apple store. A bit naughty, but not exactly criminal.

TonyBurns 27 September 2007 10:33 AM

True its not exactly criminal, they could have done better though, if you just want the goodies and not the phone, are apple not bringing out something to cover this? these phones use EDGE and are not 3G, so if you like your fast broadband, probably not for you ;)

Tony:)

Nicks VR4 28 September 2007 05:14 PM

Apple iPhone warning proves true

An Apple software update is disabling iPhones that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.

Earlier this week Apple said a planned update would leave the device "permanently inoperable".

Thousands of iPhone owners hacked their expensive gadget in order to unlock it for use with other mobile carriers and to run a host of unsupported programs.

There are also reports of the update causing issues with unaltered iPhones.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Apple iPhone warning proves true

Markus 28 September 2007 05:29 PM

I don't think many people doubted that Apple would close the loophole with regard to the carrier unlock. Preventing third party apps from running isn't too much of a shock either, but it is a tad annoying as there is some serious creativty on the app front out there.

The interesting thing was the comment that modified phones would be "bricked" by the update. If someone had a properly activated iPhone, as in with AT&T, and they used AppTap (Installer.app) to add things to their phone then I'd consider it a bit off if the phone was then bricked by the update, but I doubt that'd happen to be honest, I think the bricking was going to occur with the carrier unlock as that modified the firmware itself, whereas the adding of third party apps didn't.

I'm sure the dev team will have a new activation tool out fairly quickly and then after that work will again begin on the carrier unlock, plus AppTapp will no doubt be able to work again.

flat4 12 October 2007 11:44 AM

Right, i'm about ready to throw my Nokia through the window and i've still got over 6 months left on my contract :mad::lol1: Things appear to have moved on (and prices dropped) since i last checked up on the iPhone and i'm about ready to take the punge :D Who's up on the jailbreaking & unlocking procedures? especially on the 1.1.1 versions which is most likely what i'll get, i believe it's only a week or so away from being hacked properly for mere motals like me to understand :D just not sure which is the best route to take, free or paid unlocking :confused:

messiah 12 October 2007 11:56 AM

Rumours yesterday that a newer version will be announced at the WWDC in January - with 3G and stuff too.

flat4 12 October 2007 12:11 PM

I've seen them too but i'm not too bothered by features like that and i've vowed never to wait for stuff to come out 6-12 months down the line :D

JackClark 12 October 2007 12:37 PM

Paid unlocking is already available for 1.1.1, I have no doubt free will be along shortly. I'm looking for someone heading back from the US.

flat4 12 October 2007 12:56 PM

The paid one does seem to be more future proof as i've heard problems with the anySIM unlock not liking the latest update.

I presume you can use any of the affliate sites for iphonesimfree and not just one based in your country? The one's in the UK seem more expensive than the US ones, i don't mind paying 20 quid for the ease of use plus it seems they're on the ball a bit more.

Did we find out if they offer a free unlock if the firmware update relocks the phone or has this not happened in the previous firmware updates so far?

Markus 12 October 2007 03:28 PM

flat4,
This is from the iphonesimfree FAQ:

2. Is it resistant to updates?

While we have taken all possible measures to ensure that the phone will remain unlocked, we can only guarantee the current released versions of updates (up to and including 1.0.2). With any of these versions, even if the phone is fully restored, the phone will remain unlocked.
If an update is required, we will offer it for free IF we are able to provide it.

Looks like if you purchased the 1.0.2 update you'll get the new 1.1.1 update for free. I'll check with my friend when he appears online as he's been messing around with his new iPhone (he's doing a bit of hacking on the iPod Touch/iPhone - handy chappy to know) and had purchased anySIM from one of the resellers (not sure which one).

As for buying from a location outside of your region, only problem I can think of would be that they may only accept a billing address in their region, eg; US Reseller requires US billing address. I've had a quick peek at the Canadian reseller and it looks like their purchase cart form allows you to use non regional addresses for billing/shipping, so I'd presume they'd allow you to use it. Seems to be about CAD$60, so that's what, 30 quid.

JackClark 12 October 2007 04:36 PM

I wouldn't pay, even with the paid version you currently have to go through the hassle of Jailbreaking and app installing, which makes it hardly any different to the old unpaid version.

Markus 12 October 2007 04:55 PM

I agree Jack. if IPSM have a paid version then the dev team can't be too far behind with a free version.

flat4 12 October 2007 04:56 PM

:thumb:

I'm not adverse to paying 20-30 quid for a one off if it wo*ks, i just hope it's just that though. We'll see what the situation is regarding unlocking 1.1.1 by the time mine is in my hands.

flat4 06 November 2007 10:20 AM

Guess what i've got

:luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug: :luxhello: :D :cool: :thumb: :luvlove: :norty: :notworthy :smug:

JackClark 06 November 2007 10:28 AM

Nice one. I still want one badly.

I played with a few iPod touch's last week, good but not quite the full picnic.

flat4 06 November 2007 11:09 AM

The unlocking procedure was a piece of piss, all done over wifi in under 10 minutes, been sat here for the last 2 hours or so playing with, it's so easy to use, i just need to persuade Vodafone to give me unlimited data :D

Markus 06 November 2007 01:20 PM

You lucky bastid! We're still waiting to hear about a release date of the iPhone over here. If Rogers didn't have such abysmal data charges I'd simply get one from the US and unlock it.

I fully expect 1.1.2, which will appear on the 9th, to stop the unlock from working again, so we'll have to wait another week or so before 1.1.2 updated phones can be unlocked.

I'm still interested to find out the deal with France though, as due to their laws there has to be an unlocked version of a mobile phone available, so it could mean someone nabs one of those, compares it against a normal locked French phone and figures out a true unlocking solution (I think the current one relies on a TIFF exploit issue in mobile Safari and the prior one was, I think to do with a buffer overflow) which would not be effected by a software update.

RoadrunnerV2 07 November 2007 11:37 PM

I've been running an iPhone on o2 for just over a month. It's a good piece of kit but I find it locks up every so often based on 1.0.2. Another thing is that it would appear o2 blocks the edge on the iphone if you change tariffs/data plans. The only way to get edge working is to initally use the sim in another gprs capable phone (we used an xda) and then swap the sim over into the iphone. This has had to be done on 3 different o2 contracts on iphone 1.0.2 and 1.1.1. Once done, the edge works fine.

flat4 08 November 2007 10:36 AM

Apparently Edge is it's dead simple to setup on Vodafone, i'm just debating whether to pay the £7.50 for 120mb a month, would be nice to have unlimited but i don't see me using it that much when i'm out and about.