ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   This is terrible but why couldn't they save him... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/616225-this-is-terrible-but-why-couldnt-they-save-him.html)

Matteeboy 26 June 2007 01:55 PM

I've had hypothermia but recovered okay.
My Dad had it and was ten minutes from death when the coastguard finally got to him.

It's very nasty.

Enigma 26 June 2007 05:21 PM

This report from the local newspaper makes for heartbreaking reading...

ThisIs portals - news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

Bravo2zero_sps 26 June 2007 06:40 PM

:( very very sad.

Bravo2zero_sps 05 July 2007 08:55 AM

Flood Death Dad Criticises Rescue Effort |Sky News|UK News

They wouldn't cut his foot off in case he got an infection?! How ridiculous and I hope who ever made that decision is brought to account for it.

Flaps 05 July 2007 10:57 AM

The sad thing is that in this day and age, if they started cutting off limbs in incidents like that they would probably end up getting sued for doing it.

Sad, sad story and seeing him in that video is quite disturbing. Not a nice situation for any of those involved. :(

lestippp 05 July 2007 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 7080857)
Flood Death Dad Criticises Rescue Effort |Sky News|UK News

They wouldn't cut his foot off in case he got an infection?! How ridiculous and I hope who ever made that decision is brought to account for it.

And this satement sums up why our rescue services now have to "not get involved" with certain risks or decisions any more! Have you ever heard of the difficulties facing a nurse at an accident scene... by law they are meant to help and can be procecuted for not doing so... but if they help and something goes wrong... they can be prosecuted!!! Brilliant eh :nono:

Yeah, let's see who we can blame out of all those people who were there for one reason... to try and save this poor chap! None of us were there, if it had been easy to amputate his foot it would have happened. This would have been a perilous operation to carry out in 5ft of muddy, freezing, fast flowing water. We have the best emergency services in the world, in my opinion, and it's these guys and lassies that should be treated like sports stars for putting their lives on the line to save others, I for one salute you :notworthy

Bravo2zero_sps 05 July 2007 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by lestippp (Post 7081135)
And this satement sums up why our rescue services now have to "not get involved" with certain risks or decisions any more! Have you ever heard of the difficulties facing a nurse at an accident scene... by law they are meant to help and can be procecuted for not doing so... but if they help and something goes wrong... they can be prosecuted!!! Brilliant eh :nono:

Yeah, let's see who we can blame out of all those people who were there for one reason... to try and save this poor chap! None of us were there, if it had been easy to amputate his foot it would have happened. This would have been a perilous operation to carry out in 5ft of muddy, freezing, fast flowing water. We have the best emergency services in the world, in my opinion, and it's these guys and lassies that should be treated like sports stars for putting their lives on the line to save others, I for one salute you :notworthy

I agree with what you are saying but from that report someone made the decision not cut the guys foot off because he would risk infection. That's the issue here and if it is reported correctly then that person made a very grave mistake in making that decision, cut his foot off ffs and give him a chance as opposed to subjecting him to 4 hours of freezing flood water with the inevitable result of dieing from hyperthermia :(

Bravo2zero_sps 10 December 2007 10:16 PM

Well the real answers to why he couldn't be saved have eventually been explained and shows that what was reported by the media at the time was factually incorrect:

Flood Doctor: Why I Didn't Amputate Trapped Man's Leg |Sky News|UK News

Poor bloke never stood a chance :(

Luminous 10 December 2007 10:19 PM

Aye, poor chap. You know they will have tried to do everything they could. Its just hard to understand how so many people could not just force the man free in all the time they tried :(

Brendan Hughes 11 December 2007 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 7475004)
shows that what was reported by the media at the time was factually incorrect

surprise surprise...

David Lock 11 December 2007 11:12 AM

Seems wrong to me that it has taken from June to December for the coroner's hearing. Must be a terrible wait for the family.

I am sure there will be a lot of reasons/excuses but I am equally certain that it could have been done in say 2 - 3 weeks after the death if someone had a mind to. Sad story. dl

Leslie 11 December 2007 11:39 AM

I had seen those reasons at the time and it was one of those tragedies which could not be avoided I imagine. Its an awful thing to happen especially since he was trying to help someone else at the time.

Les