ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Bring Madeleine Home (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/606846-bring-madeleine-home.html)

cw42 18 May 2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 6937541)
I have a terrible feeling that the parents themselves will ahve something to do with this.

If someone had taken my 4 yr daughter, I would not put the remaining ones in a creche whilst I ponced about on the beach for photographers!

No one I have spoken to would do it either.

It's all very odd.

I hope they find her whatever the reason for her disappearance.

Geezer

I'm with Geezer on this one. I feel, from what little I've seen of the media circus, that the family is behind this. Does he owe someone money? Does she have another lover? (and it's his kid?) That sort of thing.
I saw a picture in the Sun (I think) of the distance between the bar the parents were eating at, and the flat they had the kids staying in. I couldn't believe how far away they were, who in their mind would leave babys and a 4 y/o alone in a flat, nevermind in this country! :(

Regardless of the circumstances, let's hope she turns up ok.

Nat 18 May 2007 05:53 PM

If she is alive still then while the story has coverage 24/7 whoever has her will be keeping her locked in a small room/celler with no windows taking no chances that she will be seen as she is so recognisable with her picture everywhere.

If the coverage died down a bit then perhaps the kidnapper might try to move her giving her a chance of actually being seen/spotted?

jjones 18 May 2007 06:03 PM

am i the only cynic thinking that this wasn't the first night the parents had left the kids "home alone".

seems unlikely to me that the very night they chose to leave the kids unsupervised this happens.

Trout 18 May 2007 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jjones (Post 6938278)
am i the only cynic thinking that this wasn't the first night the parents had left the kids "home alone".

seems unlikely to me that the very night they chose to leave the kids unsupervised this happens.

The very first news reports were quite open about the fact this was what they did most evenings. They met up with about a dozen or so parents and it was implied they took turns checking up on the kids.

I feel desperately sorry for the parents now this has happened but I fail to see how showing video of this campaign at the UEFA cup final or the FA cup final contributes anything to her safe return at all.

It was reported in the Times this week by Kidscape that in the country between 5 and 7 young children are abducted and then murdered every year. I am not sure all of them make the national news.

Perhaps we should make sure that there is a sticky for each of them?

I fear the worst and hope for the best.

speedking 18 May 2007 08:02 PM

@ *Jamie* and twistybits

I apologise for using those raw statistics, but the point was that even a small percentage of those cases are similar to Maddy's but get virtually zero publicity.

Here is something a bit more focussed on this type of offence:

Govt. stats Published in 2004.

Originally Posted by HMG
Attempted child abductions by strangers were the largest single type of child abductions (47%). In most offences there was minimal contact between the victim and the offender. The number of these offences appears to have increased dramatically since 2001/02.

Child abductions by strangers that were actually successful, rather than attempts, accounted for 9% of all offences recorded (a total of 68 victims in 2002/03).

At least 6% of child abductions (probably considerably more) were sexually motivated.

So 1 child a week is abducted by a stranger :(

HTH.

Jamie 18 May 2007 08:09 PM

Speedking you dont need to apologise we all have different views on different matters :)

Prasius 18 May 2007 08:15 PM

Wondering if I can get odds on how many months it will be before this fund is investigated for serious fraud....

J4CKO 18 May 2007 08:39 PM

I always leave my kids safely with my Rotties.....

I suspect there may be something business related here, In fact I am hoping its a straight kidnap.

RichardS2005 19 May 2007 09:25 AM

Just heard that there will be a 2 minute appeal during the FA Cup half time...FFS what is that going to achieve :mad: :mad:

The media in this country is the biggest problem we have!

The Zohan 19 May 2007 09:43 AM

Seems a few people perhaps lost sight of the real issue.

A 4 y/o girl has been missing for two weeks, likely kidnapped for whatever purpose
Two weeks in and the trail is going cold.
The little girl is probably scared out of her mind.
The perpetratiors need to be caught to prevent possible future incidents and maybe help get this girl back!

Media hijack aside, fighting funds aside - the point is the girl, not the media, not her parents (or thier possible poor judgement), THE LITTLE GIRL!

pimmo2000 19 May 2007 12:56 PM

Text "MADDIE" to 60999 and £1 will be taken from your phone (53p will go to the Madeleine Fund). (Standard network charges may apply)

so who gets the rest?

The Zohan 19 May 2007 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by RichardS2005 (Post 6940066)
The media in this country is the biggest problem we have!

The media eh, nothing to do with religion, land, politics, drugs, money, crime and the associated problems, its the media?!?

fug 19 May 2007 04:31 PM

What I find quite vexing is that there cannot be anyone left who doesn't know about the 'Madeleine situation' now, and therefore if they knew anything that could help and they were willing to do so, they would have already made the authorities aware. Hence there is no point in wasting any more time or money on publicity.

I think this is also reflected in the conspicuous lack of sticky status of this thread. Press conferences, fancy banners, and t-shirts are one thing.... but precious 'sticky space' on scoobynet is serious $$$ :lol1:

Flatcapdriver 19 May 2007 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ************** (Post 6937482)
What by breaking open the apartment shutters and climbing out the window?

The parents left the patio doors open as has been widely reported. I wonder what the reaction would have been if she wasn't a 'nice, middle class white child'?

J4CKO 19 May 2007 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 6940487)
Text "MADDIE" to 60999 and £1 will be taken from your phone (53p will go to the Madeleine Fund). (Standard network charges may apply)

so who gets the rest?

Good point, someone is profiting big style, I do wonder how some people sleep at night, must be liberating not having any morals. I could understand 5p to cover costs but 47 p ?

Trout 19 May 2007 07:26 PM

...plus the network cost of a text :eek:

Bravo2zero_sps 19 May 2007 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver (Post 6940900)
The parents left the patio doors open as has been widely reported. I wonder what the reaction would have been if she wasn't a 'nice, middle class white child'?

It was also widely reported that the shutters had been forced open so obviously depends which news reports you watch as to which version of events you got.

fug 19 May 2007 07:49 PM

True... but then some people can be behind locked doors and still come off worse to a pair of 14 year old pot heads, can't they Bravotoowhinging! :lol1:

Gutmann pug 19 May 2007 08:52 PM

I really really really hope they find her safe and well ....... Then her mum and Dad can have one quick cuddle before she is taken away and given the love care and attention she deserves / deserved.

Iwan 19 May 2007 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug (Post 6941590)
I really really really hope they find her safe and well ....... Then her mum and Dad can have one quick cuddle before she is taken away and given the love care and attention she deserves / deserved.

While they get taken to prison, I agree.

Bravo2zero_sps 19 May 2007 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by fug (Post 6941451)
True... but then some people can be behind locked doors and still come off worse to a pair of 14 year old pot heads, can't they Bravotoowhinging! :lol1:

Sociopath back again stalking me :cuckoo:

As for your delusions I suggest you take them else where as this thread is not the place for trolling or going off topic.

Prasius 20 May 2007 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug (Post 6941590)

I was speaking to a social worker friend of mine who said she would be amazed if social services don't pay the family some attention when they return home.

I do feel sorry for the child I really do.. sorry that she was born to such inept, irresponsible parents who felt their children were a hinderance to their social lives.

jasey 20 May 2007 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 6940103)

A 4 y/o girl has been missing for two weeks, likely kidnapped for whatever purpose
The perpetratiors need to be caught to prevent possible future incidents and maybe help get this girl back!

Media hijack aside, fighting funds aside - the point is the girl, not the media, not her parents (or thier possible poor judgement), THE LITTLE GIRL!

Seems you have lost sight yourself. There's four main point here;

1. Letting paedos run wild and affording them human rights is wrong!

2. Greed - The Portuguese police have now reported that the huge rewards being offered are now hampering the investigations with sighting all over the place from greedy fcukers out to make a quick buck !

3. More should be being made of the irresonsible idiots that left their kids alone - hopefully leading to fewer idiots repeating their mistake !

4. The missing (almost certainly dead) innocent kid.

I would contest you can only really do anything about the first 3 :(

KiwiGTI 20 May 2007 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood (Post 6940103)

And you seem to have lost sight of the real world, I have been in several countries overthe last few weeks and am still overseas - the media coverage of Medeline disappearing is zilch. The only news services covering this are British and probably Portuguese. It wasn't even headlined on CNN. It's certainly not in the news in Eastern European, Arabic, African countries or even most other Western European countries. Pumping her up in the UK media will probably do sod all except for satisfy the bizarre collective conscience and bandwagon that the nation jumps on from time to time.

The Zohan 20 May 2007 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6942517)
And you seem to have lost sight of the real world, I have been in several countries overthe last few weeks and am still overseas - the media coverage of Medeline disappearing is zilch. The only news services covering this are British and probably Portuguese. It wasn't even headlined on CNN. It's certainly not in the news in Eastern European, Arabic, African countries or even most other Western European countries. Pumping her up in the UK media will probably do sod all except for satisfy the bizarre collective conscience and bandwagon that the nation jumps on from time to time.

"Real world" LOL!

Having travelled extensively abroad as well as lived and worked in many countries i can assure you that a lot of expats rely on the likes of Reuters, Sky News, BBC News24 and BBC World for their news and info as do a lot of 'foreigners'. Perhaps a website that can be access from anywhere may help for peole who cannot get all the news.

Kiwi GTI You seem to view from a very, very blinkered perspective.

the point is as i stated before - THE LITTLE GIRL

as i said
"Media hijack aside, fighting funds aside - the point is the girl, not the media, not her parents (or their possible poor judgement), THE LITTLE GIRL!"

If any of it helps then good, if it is hampering then that is not good, as for 'bandwagons' then IMHO i have not jumped on one, i just happen to have two kids of my own and it tugs at my heart strings and i would not wish this on my worst enemies.

TBH i was suprised by some of the comments on this thread, not by others however;)

Jamie 20 May 2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI (Post 6942517)

Missing child case shows continental divide in parenting - CNN.com

The Zohan 20 May 2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by *Jamie* (Post 6942561)

As i said, "blinkered";)

Jamie 20 May 2007 11:58 AM

Lessons From Madeleine McCann’s Abduction
i could get everyone that you pointed out KiwiGTI but i will leave it at that :)

beer time soon :D

gatty 25 May 2007 07:28 PM

having just got back from luz (3 days ago) with my wife and two children girl 3 and boy 1.

Although in this sad sick world we witnessed hope and love. A positive outlook was the only way forward for every one who we spoke to in luz.

The media was great they stopped us a couple of times to chat as we have toddlers.

All i wanted to was to hug kate and garry mcann to give them all my love and hope but i settled for a warm smile when we got eye contact.

As the old saying goes "no news is good news" and i feel sure maddie will come home.

andythejock01wrx 26 May 2007 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by gatty (Post 6958054)

All i wanted to was to hug kate and garry mcann to give them all my love and hope but i settled for a warm smile when we got eye contact.

As the old saying goes "no news is good news" and i feel sure maddie will come home.

Let's hope so gatty. :(