ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY06 WRX Vs Focus ST (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/554136-my06-wrx-vs-focus-st.html)

Bat-Fink 27 October 2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearded dragon
the ultimate test.

Go to Scooby dealer, ask to test drive any Impreza. Rag the arse out of it around the lanes.
Take photo of Salesperson.:wonder:

Go to Ford dealer, ask to test drive the ST. Rag the arse out of it around the lanes.
Take photo of Salesperson.:wonder:

Compare photos:norty:

Laugh.:lol1:

Laugh again. :lol1:

Remember not to buy the demo vehicle from either supplier:nono:

And this is relavant how?:freak3:

MidLifeCrisisII 27 October 2006 07:35 PM

I love this thread!

Contains all the sort of comments that keep me off the forum for months at a time.....

My mates ST170 dynoed at 164 bhp my standard scoob wrx was 226, throw in 4wd our bumpy wet uk roads are a hoot. Make the choice and enjoy it.

bearded dragon 27 October 2006 08:04 PM

hey Bat-Fink.
coz my dad says so, and he is bigger than your dad:)

To make myself clear:

I think the Focus ST and Scoob WRX are inseparable on public highway. The AWD will favour the scoob from a 'traffic light grands prix', once rolling then we are talking 'mods benefit' rather than factory cars. I think that the Subaru engine has more expansion potential than the Focus engine (isn't one 2.5l vs 2.0l??)

The thing is the filth will laugh and nick both drivers, as they get a pay bonus that way {as the copper performance is 'better' as they have more arrests}

On a track is a different matter - why??? because neither Impreza nor Focus compete on a track - they compete on a rally circuit made up of dodgy surface and bends. If the Scoob pi$$ed the Focus, year in, year out, then Ford would cease to bother on the rally circuit - WAIT A MOMENT - the WRC is more than Ford vs Subaru. Didn't Skoda have a look in a few years ago? I have heard a palaeontologist talk about a beast called quattrosaurus.

If you want the quickest straight line car, with best cornering ability in all circumstances and will beat all challengers then build a road legal F1 car.

Otherwise try this:

a Focus ST factory build

vs

Impreza WRX factory build

Drivers of similar ability.

Fill both cars with the wife and kids.

What would you rather be driving:wonder: :wonder:

And that is why people buy 4X4's. You may have the **fsastest** car in an arse-end collision, but I would rather be in a Land Rover than a ST/WRX because that will be quickest away from the scene..........................

westy04 27 October 2006 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by bearded dragon
hey Bat-Fink.
coz my dad says so, and he is bigger than your dad:)

To make myself clear:

I think the Focus ST and Scoob WRX are inseparable on public highway. The AWD will favour the scoob from a 'traffic light grands prix', once rolling then we are talking 'mods benefit' rather than factory cars. I think that the Subaru engine has more expansion potential than the Focus engine (isn't one 2.5l vs 2.0l??)

The thing is the filth will laugh and nick both drivers, as they get a pay bonus that way {as the copper performance is 'better' as they have more arrests}

On a track is a different matter - why??? because neither Impreza nor Focus compete on a track - they compete on a rally circuit made up of dodgy surface and bends. If the Scoob pi$$ed the Focus, year in, year out, then Ford would cease to bother on the rally circuit - WAIT A MOMENT - the WRC is more than Ford vs Subaru. Didn't Skoda have a look in a few years ago? I have heard a palaeontologist talk about a beast called quattrosaurus.

If you want the quickest straight line car, with best cornering ability in all circumstances and will beat all challengers then build a road legal F1 car.

Otherwise try this:

a Focus ST factory build

vs

Impreza WRX factory build

Drivers of similar ability.

Fill both cars with the wife and kids.

What would you rather be driving:wonder: :wonder:

And that is why people buy 4X4's. You may have the **fsastest** car in an arse-end collision, but I would rather be in a Land Rover than a ST/WRX because that will be quickest away from the scene..........................

I' ve never heard so much waffling crap in all my life.
The ST and MY06 wrx are both 2.5l turbo's by the way.

anthscooby01 27 October 2006 09:14 PM

Had 2 Fords in my life and both were cack. Provided u do not keep them longer than 2 or 3 years maybe ok. Just not built to last or do high mileages whatever badge they wear. ST might well give WRX few probs but prefer Subaru any day. Would rather put up with the pathetic stereo than drive a poxy Ford!!

deano555 27 October 2006 10:01 PM

When I changed my 03 wrx I looked at both the focus and 06wrx, yes the interior was better and it had a decent sound system, but it just aint big enough for me and the familly. At the same time that I purchased my 06wrx my brother in law purchased the focus st, and unfortunately for him he has had a ford ka on his drive on at least a dozen occasions. He is very upset at the poor reliability.
I have no regrets with my choice, but if the focus was more practical, I may have been swayed.

mikepaul 27 October 2006 10:27 PM

fuel consumption on both 2.5l is awful. The ST being slightly worse, sorry but 14Mpg is crap for only 225bhp.

The new Ford ST is pig ugly, the the RS Focus was such as stunner. Maybe one of the Subaru design team joined Ford.

I din't see many Ford STs passing WRXs on the last track day i attended.

Standup for your scooby, trust me it is faster in the hands a good driver,
it's just average joe needs 100bhp advantage to provide his car is faster, so even with a missed gear changes he still looks good.

My money is on the Astra VXR if i didn't have the scobby, fast and great motorway tourer, and looks stunning.

But any many former owners of yank cars me included (ford / vauxhall), they don't cope well with old age and high milage.

Jimpreza 27 October 2006 11:12 PM

At least the impreza looks a bit different/special. The st looks just like a tdci focus with 2 exhausts.

sgcooby 28 October 2006 10:22 AM

In response to the original question id say there would be nothing in it. A lot of people go on about transmission losses and the like and that once rolling a 2wd car would be faster but this is not what i have experienced. Up against a VXR on the dual carrigeway before my remap (03 WRX) we stayed virtually side by side up to - - - speeds. Admittedly before my car was mapped it dynod at 245bhp because of partial decat but they were so evenly matched that i dont think 20bhp here or there would have made much difference. Even now after my remap there probably wouldnt be much in it but all that extra torque sure makes it better to drive. I would imagine an ST would be near identical to the VXR and thereofore as close to a WRX as makes no difference. It would come down to personal preference about the cars but for me i wouldnt choose FWD over 4WD but thats just me.

Alan MaC 28 October 2006 11:19 AM

I know 2 Brothers, 1 has a standard BMW M3 and the other, a modified FOCUS ST In ORANGE!

They raced back from a Function late one night last week so, the roads were clear.

The Focus trashed the Kraut! I couldn't beleive it as the chap who drives the BMW is a pretty good driver.

Apparently there is an ST Chiping Kit and that gets it up to 300 Brake!

Still prefer my Scoob though.

Leeroy 28 October 2006 12:27 PM

A couple of points to note:

1. The standard WRX MY06 is far more slippery than the previous MY WRX's - in other words it doesn't hit a brick wall at 100ish:thumb:!

2. BMW M3's are far more difficult to drive fast from A-B than the turbo ST/WRX - it takes a very committed/good driver to keep up. Rear drive with traction on will slow you down on every bend, and off, you'd better get ready for some wrist action!

3. Look in the back of EVO at the track times: Focus St=1.33.90, Astra VXR=1.33.55, MY06 Sti=1.26.10 , unfortunately no times for WRX. Straight line may be similar but A-B with a load of bends - no contest!

4. I tried the 06 WRX and ST before settling on the 06 Sti:thumb: Focus was much better built than the WRX (WRX interior is very drab/poor), but there didn't feel that much in it to be honest. Overtaking (say 30-70) was probably quicker in the ST, but accross country, the WRX was much more involving.

5. Orange ST's look sh!t!

54Roadster 28 October 2006 04:27 PM

yawn...

05 sti ppp...never had any trouble with any focus yet

gold wheels I may have, but at least it aint orange.

DCI Gene Hunt 28 October 2006 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by 54Roadster
at least it aint orange.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3097/osfg3.png

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1997/oosau2.png

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7776/ooosmb4.png

Alan MaC 28 October 2006 10:27 PM

Hello DCI Hunt.

Haven't heard you on SN General for a bit, have you been on a mission?

Kind regards

Alan MaC

PS Come to think of it, no Mr Lewis either?

lightwave693 28 October 2006 11:54 PM

a mate of mine has a 55 focus st in blue and its a nice car, looks good, goes well, my 98uk turbo with decat and dawes at 1.2 has no problem going past on motorway, not tried on twistes as i dont think im that good a driver to go to the "edge" im pretty sure an 06 wrx will be quicker than my 98 so... should do over a focus st....

DIC Jean Runt 29 October 2006 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC
Hello DCI Hunt.

Haven't heard you on SN General for a bit, have you been on a mission?

Kind regards

Alan MaC

PS Come to think of it, no Mr Lewis either?

I've been keeping the old dog busy :thumb:

DCI/PSL/Lord Shreks' etc etc better half :luvlove:

explore 29 October 2006 07:47 AM

what agreat thread lol what a read, fantasic chaps keep it up lol

moveover 29 October 2006 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by trails
earth to moveover; this is the year 2006 not 1986 go drive a modern ford then commenthttps://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/s...smiley-044.gif

I have driven many Fords old and new, most recent 2 Focus, a C-Max for the family and a new Mondeo which blew the turbo after 4 days ownership and spent more time in Ford than in my hands. The 54 plate C-Max has been in Ford 6 times since new.

Gutmann pug 29 October 2006 09:48 AM

Its great not posting on SN for a while and then coming back for a look ....... The same threads just reel round and round and round ...... The only difference is the names of the people on the thread.

Anyone for a MPG, which oil thread?

I would suggest the Focus looks a better car in some colours and looks awful in others. Performance wise I doubt there would be much in it, certainly not a big enough difference for it to be noticeable on an everyday drive.....

The guy with the biggest smile would have to be the focus owner though, at least he owns the best of the Focus's. The scoob onwer will always be the one who couldnt quite run to an STi :D :D

dabow 29 October 2006 10:07 AM

not really a fan of ford(apart from the cossy:D ) but ive seen these things go, there quite quick. but thay are a 2.5 volvo engine. but at the same time, its off thead but seen a vxr against one, the vauxhall beet it. ;)

but then again i drive a 95 classic, ive gave both a run for there money & got them both.

but i do like the look of these ford st's. look smart. but at the end of the day, ford has more history than subaru in rallying:thumb:
there both rally based cars:D

mikepaul 29 October 2006 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alan MaC
I know 2 Brothers, 1 has a standard BMW M3 and the other, a modified FOCUS ST In ORANGE!

They raced back from a Function late one night last week so, the roads were clear.

The Focus trashed the Kraut! I couldn't beleive it as the chap who drives the BMW is a pretty good driver.

Apparently there is an ST Chiping Kit and that gets it up to 300 Brake!

Still prefer my Scoob though.

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH: Focus ST would not stand a chance against an M3. Even a 300Bhp old shape scobby (1260kg) would struggle to stay with 340bhp M3 (1550kg), the Focus ST3 is 1390kg.

Sorry but this statement is absolute twaddle.

Have you heard of power to weight ratio?

M3 has a very advanced LSD, in fact the very best LCD and has amazing traction.

To compare a FWD against an M3 is a joke! To can't tell me you think a Ford is better engineered than an M3 and it faster in the real world.

I accept a WRX 06 v ST 225 may be close, but an M3!!

dabow 29 October 2006 06:54 PM

regards this m3, mmmm. if it was the older one maybe ye, but the new styled one. not a chance. i agree with the aboth on that.

the focus st is yes a quick car, but again the astra vxr is quicker in a strait line. i dont now to much about the new wrx, but the blob eyed are very heavy & a lot slower than the classic. again, weight to ratio.

Leeroy 29 October 2006 07:40 PM

He did say a modified ST. The question is to what extent?

jasonius 29 October 2006 07:43 PM

popcorn anyone..?:)

hades 29 October 2006 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by lightwave693
a mate of mine has a 55 focus st in blue and its a nice car, looks good, goes well, my 98uk turbo with decat and dawes at 1.2 has no problem going past on motorway, not tried on twistes as i dont think im that good a driver to go to the "edge" im pretty sure an 06 wrx will be quicker than my 98 so... should do over a focus st....

And I'm pretty sure a standard 06 WRX will have less power than your moded 98UK turbo and will weight a fair bit more, so won't be as fast. Doesn't really prove much, admittedly!

Jonno_johnson 29 October 2006 07:50 PM

I like the focus st, had a battle with a standard one a month or so ago, very close pipped it in the end, i like the look of them, i even like the orange ones.

lightwave693 29 October 2006 08:20 PM

with the 06wrx being a 2.5 i would naturally think it would be more powerful than my 98uk, most other scoobys are...

wrx_sti_my04 29 October 2006 09:41 PM

Great debate, I am interested in the opinions from the point of view of being an owner of an MY04 Sti (WR Blue) currently waiting to get a delivery date for my next car, yes you guessed it, a Focus ST (Electric Orange).

Had the Sti from new and enjoyed every mile I have driven. Not too happy with the fact that the MY05 and MY06 revisions followed so quickly but sh*t happens. Time to change because I don't think I will be able to give the Subaru away when the MY07 (or 08) hits the streets.

Have driven the ST and it is a different car than the Impreza but left me smiling and happy enough to spend some cash. Current owners of MY04s beware - used car prices (private or PX) are suffering.

Will come back and give you guys a proper review of the Focus ST soon.

Mattst280 29 October 2006 11:47 PM

Hello Scooby boys

im the happy owner of a 'orange' ST and running a ruff figger of 280 bhp. when i was stock i was at a dead even with my mates WRX had the jap engine + zorst. quoting 250 bhp. since then iv spend some money

RAD tec inter cooler £550 fitted

blue fin £600

magnex cat back £310

Simota carbon induction kit £210 (just fitted)

and needless to i now leave him for dead. not shore ho i would fair against STI. but i have wiped a few smiles off some M3 drives the last few months. Nice to see that you peps show a interest in us ST boys. If any of you want to have a "play" and from the essex area give me a PM.

mightyyid 30 October 2006 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by wrx_sti_my04
Great debate, I am interested in the opinions from the point of view of being an owner of an MY04 Sti (WR Blue) currently waiting to get a delivery date for my next car, yes you guessed it, a Focus ST (Electric Orange).

Had the Sti from new and enjoyed every mile I have driven. Not too happy with the fact that the MY05 and MY06 revisions followed so quickly but sh*t happens. Time to change because I don't think I will be able to give the Subaru away when the MY07 (or 08) hits the streets.

Have driven the ST and it is a different car than the Impreza but left me smiling and happy enough to spend some cash. Current owners of MY04s beware - used car prices (private or PX) are suffering.

Will come back and give you guys a proper review of the Focus ST soon.

key point here - regardless of the differences and people comparing apples, pumkins and elephants (???) then at least with the ST you'll get a decent return on investment as the car is rare. By a Scooby and wait 6 months before a different deal, different shape etc etc comes out to trash your value. ST's are holding their value and losing about 2 grand after a year. A Scooby, after a year, loses about 3-4 times this amount. Been there and seen the proof as have many others.

Both are very good cars, but having driven both, the Scooby felt slightly quicker, but the Focus was so much better built and solid, it felt a nicer, tighter car to drive and that was a big bonus for me.