ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Muslim anger as London Olympics clash with Ramadam (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/551250-muslim-anger-as-london-olympics-clash-with-ramadam.html)

hutton_d 15 October 2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
I think the story is bo11ox to be honest. From my limited knowledge of Ramadan my understanding is that you can choose before the start of the day whether you fast or not, you simply add another day onto the end to compensate. So for example when Muslims are travelling, it's accepted for them to skip fasting that day. Ditto if they are playing sport.

Saying you will fast that day and then failing adds something like 40 days onto to total you need to do. So basically you must fast if you say you will, but there are opt-outs if you're doing something strenuous, like playing sport.

Have the Daily Mail heard of investigative journalism ?

To be fair I read the Mail article and it did mention that they had a *get out* clause as you say. I think the point was all these politicians etc rushing to try to stave off Muslim protests .... who the f&%k cares????

Dave

Ray_li 15 October 2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king
just seen this posted a cruise notts.... is it true or a wind up?

The 2012 London Olympics have been plunged into controversy by the discovery that the Games will clash with Ramadan, the most holy month in the Islamic calendar.

The clash will put Muslim athletes at a disadvantage as they will be expected to fast from sunrise to sunset for the entire duration of the Games.

Muslims' anger as London Olympics clash with Ramadan | the Daily Mail

:mad: They can all go fcuk themselves

J4CKO 15 October 2006 09:13 PM

Our Muslim mate was round today with her lad (we were babysitting whilst she was at work), she distances herself from all this ****e, she loves living here and gets annoyed with those who upset the apple cart and she thinks they are doing it for the sake of it, it does not do ny good she reckons just annoying people for the sake of it and she thinks wearing a Burkha is wierd, possibly just English converts to Islam and mingers wearing them !

gatty 15 October 2006 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Our Muslim mate was round today with her lad (we were babysitting whilst she was at work), she distances herself from all this ****e, she loves living here and gets annoyed with those who upset the apple cart and she thinks they are doing it for the sake of it, it does not do ny good she reckons just annoying people for the sake of it and she thinks wearing a Burkha is wierd, possibly just English converts to Islam and mingers wearing them !

shame more aint like her, for every one of her theres 10 waiting to take the piss out of us

unclebuck 15 October 2006 09:58 PM

she thinks they are doing it for the sake of it,!

No sh*t. What other reason could there be other than causing trouble?

cookstar 15 October 2006 10:18 PM

Yeah, I never compete as it discriminates us slightly overweight and unfit blokes.

I though it was just I that held back purely for this reason, its nice to know there are others :thumb:

CrisPDuk 16 October 2006 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by gatty
shame more aint like her, for every one of her theres 10 waiting to take the piss out of us

I think you're likely to find it's the other way round. 90% of muslims in this country are decent honest people who want to get on with there lives peacefully & quietly. It's just the vocal 10% have the backing of the PC brigade, and the ear of every newspaper editor trying to whip up unrest to sell papers:mad:

As far as the press are concerned, muslims are just the new football fans, thats all:(

davegtt 16 October 2006 09:46 AM

Agreed, you'll find the majority dont want to hear this rubbish. You get the extremists who bring up stuff like this to stir hatred and off course the press will happily print it because they know we'll read it and get peed off. Afterall its got a thread going here hasnt it.

Wurzel 16 October 2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by apples24
i dint realise running with a rucksack was an olympic sport?

Yep it is called the steeplechase and involves armed police chasing you and hurdling over turnstyles before diving for the finish line :D

GaryK 16 October 2006 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Yep it is called the steeplechase and involves armed police chasing you and hurdling over turnstyles before diving for the finish line :D

LMFAO!

Tidgy 16 October 2006 10:38 AM

is it the whole comunity or was it a passing comment that the press have got hold of and is being blown out of proportion?

i realy am starting to wonder how much of the 'muslims want there own way' is just the press reporting something out of context and to get a headline.

was it just someone saying, 'its a bit of a disadvantage that it clashes with ramadan' that the press have turned into 'muslims up in arms'.

davegtt 16 October 2006 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tidgy
is it the whole comunity or was it a passing comment that the press have got hold of and is being blown out of proportion?

i realy am starting to wonder how much of the 'muslims want there own way' is just the press reporting something out of context and to get a headline.

was it just someone saying, 'its a bit of a disadvantage that it clashes with ramadan' that the press have turned into 'muslims up in arms'.

If anything it'll just be one or 2 athletes who would have said something as a passing comment and its become the whole of the Muslim community that want it, we all know what the press is like.

Dream Weaver 16 October 2006 10:47 AM

At school the muslim pupils had the same Xmas holidays as the rest of us, but we never ever were allowed any time off for Ramadan. Always seemed unfair to me, and is similar to this situation :(

Tidgy 16 October 2006 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
At school the muslim pupils had the same Xmas holidays as the rest of us, but we never ever were allowed any time off for Ramadan. Always seemed unfair to me, and is similar to this situation :(

did they get time off for ramadan?

RMA26 16 October 2006 11:22 AM

Yawn :sleep:

Same old story which inevitably prompts Racial Discrimination

Dream Weaver 16 October 2006 11:44 AM

did they get time off for ramadan?

Yes :(

Tidgy 16 October 2006 11:47 AM

now that is fair, prehaps they shold be in school over christmas then, since they don't believe,,,,,

RMA26 16 October 2006 11:48 AM

So we are a society who have different rules, for each religon then

That should mean, we automatically get all of Xmas off & they should work it for us, as we do for them:thumb:

unclebuck 16 October 2006 11:48 AM

These comments aren't a media invention:

Massoud Shadjareh, chairman of the London-based Islamic Human Rights Commission, said: "They would not have organised this at Christmas. It is equally stupid to organise it at Ramadan.

"It shows a complete lack of awareness and sensitivity.

"This is going to disadvantage the athletes and alienate the Asian communities by saying they don't matter.
"It's not only going to affect the participants it's going to affect all the people who want to watch the Games.
Sounds like straightfoward muslim sh*t stirring to me.

carl 16 October 2006 11:50 AM

Are you all reading the same article as me? Apart from that Massoud Shadjereh bloke, the other people quoted are all saying "It would have been nice if it was on a different date, but I'm sure the athletes will cope". Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Tidgy 16 October 2006 11:53 AM

o right hadn't read exact quotes lol

sorry but it isn't done at tat time cos fo christmas, it is done at that time cos it always has been, goes back to athens and greece

KiwiGTI 16 October 2006 12:00 PM

Surely these Muslims are risking the wrath of Zeus by appearing in these Greek games and flaunting their newer religion?

SJ_Skyline 16 October 2006 12:18 PM

Behead all athletes! :D

stilover 16 October 2006 12:23 PM

Well I'm with the Muslims on this one. It's right that a sporting event should, when deciding the date of said event, consider EVERY single religion on the planet, so it neither A) puts any competitor at any disadvantage, or B) disrespects their religion.

Indeed, I'm sure the FIA are already looking at next years F1 calender, hoping that no race conflict's with some halfwit religion.

Or, we could simply hold what we want, when we want, and they can go and Fcuk themselves. :mad:

stilover 16 October 2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Behead all athletes! :D

Just the Muslim one's, and not just the athletes :thumb:

RMA26 16 October 2006 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by RMA26
Yawn :sleep:

Same old story which inevitably prompts Racial Discrimination

I'll quote myself here........

DCI Gene Hunt 16 October 2006 12:27 PM

Fatima found the aerodynamics of her veil a drawback......:(

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5308/aaafs2.png

GaryK 16 October 2006 12:50 PM

Surely common sense has to prevail and look at the numbers. If it is the case that the majority were being affected then something needs to be done, if its the minority then the status quo has to remain.

Surely the whole idea of being extremely successful in sport means that sacrifices have to be made and as an individual you weigh up what you wish to do, if you have strong beliefs that you wont compromise then you dont take part. Wasnt there a runner who wouldnt run on a Sunday? Cant remember his name, it was against his beliefs and he stuck to them, did he bemoan the fact he couldnt compete on a Sunday? NO! He accepted it.

Gary

P.S. Surely I cant start yet another paragraph with the word surely! :)

Wurzel 16 October 2006 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Fatima found the aerodynamics of her veil a drawback......:(

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5308/aaafs2.png

Surely the weight of that jumper and trousers is as much to blame for the poor woman coming last, I mean just look at the two either side! they are wearing next to nothing, maybe there should be a new ruling that women running in a race with a muslim should all wear Darth Vader outfits so as not to disadvantage the poor muslim. Also can you imagine the high jump not to mention all the track events, fancy getting your dishcloth or whatever it's called all twisted up whilst lobbing the hammer, shot or discus. It could be really nasty if you trip over whilst lobbing the javalin, however it could add to the excitment of it all though :D

tmo 16 October 2006 01:04 PM

That’s a good point, what if they do compete with the old curtain on the face !!!! Could be and impostor. :nono: (some cousin or other family member).

Ffs they will probably dispute each result on religious grounds anyway and be duly awarded gold in everything (even if they didn’t participate, because it was too early or slightly inconvenient)