ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   VF35 (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/550549-vf35.html)

Floyd 19 October 2006 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by RB5_245
What year did the spec c get a twin scroll turbo?

If it is a twin scroll it's not a direct fit to a classic. Will need headers and up-pipe too (possibly downpipe?).

Likewise if you're not going twin scroll on your new turbo same would apply.

NS04 - try reading spec'c'57 's post 5 or 6 times slowly and all will become clear ;) :D

BTW I doubt anyone with a VF35 turbo would be worth while switching to larger than 440cc injectors (if you already have that big), at very most a little increase in fuel pressure should see them max out a shade after the turbo ;)

Dave

My IDC were in the 90's IIRC with more to come from the turbo but still on std fuel pressure reg. SX or bigger injectors could have worked for me.

As for twin scroll on a classic - see my project thread ;)

F

jasonius 20 October 2006 10:44 PM

according to Ecuexplorer, my IDC's are ~80-82% (pinks)..;)

Butty 20 October 2006 11:01 PM

I'll raise it to 87% on pinks doing std fuel pressure - the VF35 was singing its heart out at 277 g/sec to do that.

Nick

jasonius 21 October 2006 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Butty
I'll raise it to 87% on pinks doing std fuel pressure - the VF35 was singing its heart out at 277 g/sec to do that.

Nick

277g/s is good..!;) How are you measuring it..? Also do you have any dyno figure..?

andythejock01wrx 21 October 2006 01:52 PM

OK, showing I'm really still a Newbie in terms of knowledge here :

What are ported and wrapped headers ? Anything to do with kebabs ?!

How much do they cost and how much does an uprated fuel pump cost.

And are they both necessary for, say 330bhp ?

New_scooby_04 21 October 2006 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
OK, showing I'm really still a Newbie in terms of knowledge here :

What are ported and wrapped headers ? Anything to do with kebabs ?!

How much do they cost and how much does an uprated fuel pump cost.

And are they both necessary for, say 330bhp ?

Andy,

Not required, but a very good idea, as 1) the porting means that the turbo will come in sooner, which is a good idea as the bigger turbo will come in later than the TD04 so anything you can do to negate this in a WRX with a lower rev limit is a bonus! They will also liberate slightly more power. Wrapping is also a very good idea, as increased performance means increased heat and believe me, it can get toasty under that bonnet. This will adversely affect performance, getting them wrapped will significantly help under bonnet temps. Personally, I'd get in done!

Ns04

MaDaSS 21 October 2006 07:09 PM

Agreed with above.
I could not be doing without my car whilst mine could have been ported, so i went mental and bought headers and had them ceramic coated instead as i plan on keeping my car for a while wanted the best tbh.
Fuel pump is a must i would think, purely for safety and making sure you get the fuel to the place it should be!

Floyd 21 October 2006 09:04 PM

Porting and wrapping isn't essential for 330bhp. I just ported mine to reach 333bhp and used the standard heat shielding. Porting is removing metal internally to smooth flow in the correct direction of exhaust gases. The wrapping is special cloth that is wrapped around the cast exhaust to keep the heat in them. Hot gas = faster gas speed (or something), which is good apparently. The downside is that it falls off after a while and it gets wet and steams/smells.

F

MaDaSS 21 October 2006 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd
Porting and wrapping isn't essential for 330bhp. I just ported mine to reach 333bhp and used the standard heat shielding. Porting is removing metal internally to smooth flow in the correct direction of exhaust gases. The wrapping is special cloth that is wrapped around the cast exhaust to keep the heat in them. Hot gas = faster gas speed (or something), which is good apparently. The downside is that it falls off after a while and it gets wet and steams/smells.

F

What put me off was the fact it does unwrap after a bit and falls off and tbh i was not going to wrap my own, so for me the cost of buying and then paying for someone to wrap them was stupid for how long it lasts. Thats why i went the ceramic way.

Butty 21 October 2006 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius
277g/s is good..!;) How are you measuring it..? Also do you have any dyno figure..?

I used Delta Dash for logging air flow etc.
I have yet to put it on a RR but have run the road dyno in Delta Dash and got 280/271 @ wheels when it was running 1.5 bar.
It has since been reduced to 1.4 bar as the bottom end is a std WRX.

Nick

jasonius 22 October 2006 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Butty
I used Delta Dash for logging air flow etc.
I have yet to put it on a RR but have run the road dyno in Delta Dash and got 280/271 @ wheels when it was running 1.5 bar.
It has since been reduced to 1.4 bar as the bottom end is a std WRX.

Nick

Good figs;) remind me, what's your exact spec again..?

andythejock01wrx 22 October 2006 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Andy,

Not required, but a very good idea, as 1) the porting means that the turbo will come in sooner, which is a good idea as the bigger turbo will come in later than the TD04 so anything you can do to negate this in a WRX with a lower rev limit is a bonus! They will also liberate slightly more power. Wrapping is also a very good idea, as increased performance means increased heat and believe me, it can get toasty under that bonnet. This will adversely affect performance, getting them wrapped will significantly help under bonnet temps. Personally, I'd get in done!

Ns04

Cheers NS04, Floyd and MaDass.

Still not clear what headers are and what porting them involves, although it's useful to know what effect they have ! Header = cylinder head ?

Andy

wrxginge 22 October 2006 01:49 PM

Headers are the exhaust manifold. They go from the cylinder heads then join into one pipe that runs upto the turbo.

HTH

andythejock01wrx 23 October 2006 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by wrxginge
Headers are the exhaust manifold. They go from the cylinder heads then join into one pipe that runs upto the turbo.

HTH

ta:thumb:

Butty 23 October 2006 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jasonius
Good figs;) remind me, what's your exact spec again..?

Tis a VF35, pinky injectors, STi IC, Prodrive sports cat, decat middle & back box, STi uppipe, Prodrive/Walbro pump, TGVless inlet manifold, GM 3 port solenoid & BPFR7Bs.
Everything upstream of the sportscat was ported and topped off with a remap from Paul at Zen Performance.

Nick