ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   FAO those with UPVC doors or Yale type locks (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/537518-fao-those-with-upvc-doors-or-yale-type-locks.html)

Shark Man 19 August 2006 10:57 PM

I think the cure is to fill the lock with grease or spray waxoyl (such as PTFE spray grease), this may help stop the levers/pins from being "jiggled" when it is hit by the hammer.

I've got a dorrs with non-matching locks and various keys to try this on :norty:

Also the "lowe & fletcher" circular key lock barrels as used on krook-locks and similar steering locks are vunreable to this if the theif has a generic master key (widely available).

hectic 19 August 2006 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by brumdaisy
i've given up on my charity work since you started asking for seconds :razz:

you know my appetite is insatiable , Brum ;)

brumdaisy 19 August 2006 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Man
I think the cure is to fill the lock with grease (such as PTFE spray grease), this may help stop the levers/pins from being "jiggled" when it is hit by the hammer.

I've got a dorrs with non-matching locks and various keys to try this on :norty:

Also the "lowe & fletcher" circular key lock barrels as used on krook-locks and similar steering locks are vunreable to this if the theif has a generic master key (widely available).

back on track :) (shurrup hectic)

hectic 19 August 2006 11:00 PM

back on track :) (shurrup hectic)

Yes, mistress ;)

Adrian F 19 August 2006 11:05 PM

suddenly mortise locks are going to be in fashion!

Shark Man 19 August 2006 11:06 PM

As an after thought spray waxoyl is probably better as it's thicker :)

I always thought deigsn of these locks were a bit "simplistic" glad I have a old fashioned 5 lever chubb mortice :D

scoobyverysoon 19 August 2006 11:13 PM

ta scooter, but I live in Brum, most scum here are at least5 years behind the the of the UK's scum :(

Boxst, how do you put a bolt on a UPVC panel?

Im pretty handy at DIY stuff so having fitted a catflap to a UPVC panel I know theres nowt for screws to grip beyond the thin as fook panel..... to the point that last time I locked myself out the house I just kicked thru the catflap and reached up to take the key out the back door - now I know how easy that was I never leave the key in the back door!

You can get something called Sash jammers basicly fit 2 to your door and even if they pick the lock they wong get past these (only work from the inside though use them while your in bed) other then that I would fit a UPVC composite door with a Rim and mortice lock on it but there quite £££.

Shark Man 19 August 2006 11:18 PM

Anyone want to trade three cats for a flesh ripping doberman?

Anyhoo. Can recomend a Dobermann. Lovely dogs, docile (after exercise ;) ) obedient and protective. Had two myself :)

Although the one was scared of frogs and was more likely to lick you to death - he still managed to corner a burgler who froze in fear at the sight of him - if only he knew he was as soppy fusspot :lol1::D

Oh, and fit some dead bolts :)

brumdaisy 19 August 2006 11:40 PM

dead bolts on a UPVC door?

Damn it Im going to have to get a locksmith and I hate paying for things I cant eat, drink or wear :mad:

Shark Man 19 August 2006 11:45 PM

You forgot about getting your hair done...unless you wear that too :lol1:

brumdaisy 19 August 2006 11:48 PM

oh I dont bother - its long and straight so pair of kitchen scissors does the job nicely... fringe has caused a few horror stories though - never cut your own fringe when its wet :o

Shark Man 19 August 2006 11:51 PM

I'm glad I re-read that last line :eek: :norty: :lol1: I really need to get my eyes tested.

hectic 19 August 2006 11:52 PM

I'm glad I re-read that last line :eek: :norty: :lol1: I really need to get my eyes tested.

Ali.. you get worse! :lol1: :thumb:

Shark Man 19 August 2006 11:53 PM

It wasn't just me then LOL :D

hectic 19 August 2006 11:54 PM

It wasn't just me then LOL :D

i had to pick(THATS PICK) it apart to see what you meant.. I just got a filthy mind and sussed it easily ;)

brumdaisy 20 August 2006 12:19 AM

i still dont get it? :wonder:

hectic 20 August 2006 12:25 AM

i still dont get it? :wonder:

schoolboy humour taken from the word 'fringe' as in not cutting when wet ;) get it now ?:freak3:

brumdaisy 20 August 2006 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by hectic
schoolboy humour taken from the word 'fringe' as in not cutting when wet ;) get it now ?:freak3:

no, how do you get skool boy kicks from fringe? :confused:

hectic 20 August 2006 12:29 AM

fekkin 'el.. mis-splelt or quickly looked.. fringe when wet, minge when wet.. oh never mind...:(

brumdaisy 20 August 2006 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by hectic
fekkin 'el.. mis-splelt or quickly looked.. fringe when wet, minge when wet.. oh never mind...:(

ffs bit of a giant leap :razz:

back on subject please!

hectic 20 August 2006 12:36 AM

ffs bit of a giant leap :razz:

back on subject please!

Not me,.. it was Ali.. honest! :)

Shark Man 20 August 2006 12:48 AM

Ok back on subject...

Now where were we?...

Wet minge, err, no sorry, fringe...:D

brumdaisy 20 August 2006 12:54 AM

Ok back on subject...

Now where were we?...

Wet minge, err, no sorry, fringe...:D

location says it all :lol1:

NorthDave 20 August 2006 10:46 AM

dead bolts on a UPVC door?

Damn it Im going to have to get a locksmith and I hate paying for things I cant eat, drink or wear :mad:

I've got two sets of UPVC doors on my house - the type with two handles (one on each door). I have something called an adjustable length shackle lock which I put between the handles. This is essentially a padlock which clamps the two handle together. I'm pretty confident that even if the doors were unlocked you would struggle to get the doors open.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...2&template=app

MTR 20 August 2006 11:06 AM

I think the cure is to fill the lock with grease or spray waxoyl (such as PTFE spray grease), this may help stop the levers/pins from being "jiggled" when it is hit by the hammer.
Lowe & fletcher" circular key lock barrels as used on krook-locks and similar steering locks are vunreable to this if the theif has a generic master key (widely available).

I would excpect engine oil to work as well.

I wasn't aware that the circular key type locks were vulnerable.
Thats one avenue not to bother exploring then.

These locks stop another form of attack, and I suspect trying to ,make a special key would be more difficult than the conventional type keys.
http://www.multipointlocks.co.uk/cylinders-c-30.html
http://www.ciaalarms.co.uk/break_secure_cylinders.htm

They take no more than 2 minutes to fit, using a screwdriver.

Cheers
MTR

Shark Man 20 August 2006 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTR
I would excpect engine oil to work as well.

I wasn't aware that the circular key type locks were vulnerable.
Thats one avenue not to bother exploring then.

Cheers
MTR

I thought they were secure myself until I met a bloke who was fitting security grilles using this type of lock and showed me what he could do with his "master". :eek:

It's not the same as the bump method due to the design of the lock, so it is slightly more secure, but it's not that much better.

I had a CAT3 wheel clamp using the same brand and type of lock, I ask him to try his key on that, it worked. Suffice to say, I bought a different wheel clamp. ;)

Certain brand steering locks also use the same type of lock - and explained why cars with these fitted have been stolen and then found with a steering lock still fitted...but it not the original - it's somebody elses steering lock! :eek: