ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   PLASMA HELP PLEASE ?!?!?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/467160-plasma-help-please.html)

RB5201 03 November 2005 10:39 AM

Ive also got a panny PWD7, not HD compatable but fantastic picture quality. True HD tv is not going to be here for about 2 years, then thats only going to be a couple of film channels on sky which you will have to pay extra for. Try AV sales in kent 08707 740730. You could probably get one of these for about £1200, much better than the samsung. Only problem is you would need speakers as it is just a screen, you can get basic ones to go with the screen, but I cant tell you how much of a diffence a decent surround sound set up makes to films, I went with M&K speakers, not the cheapest but amazing sound quality :)

Fulham71 03 November 2005 10:44 AM

I intend to watch tv through Sky Plus & have seperate surround sound already ! But what put me off the Panasonics is that you have to buy a scart socket adaptor & you can only have one unless you buy a switching box !

All more wires & toomuch hassle for me !

davegtt 03 November 2005 10:49 AM

If you look at the Vieras theyre the panasonics with all the stuff built in like the tuner/speakers/scarts etc..... a superb set IMO....

logiclee 03 November 2005 01:45 PM

I certainly wouldn't buy a set that wasn't "HD Ready".

Sky's HD boxes are in full production and the expected start date is 14th February.
Upscaling DVD players are available now, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are not far off as well as the PS3 and X-Box 360 due soon. All output high def.

The new 6th Generation Pioneer Plasma's have received great reviews in the AV press and are considered to be the best Plasma's on sale, the 436XDE does retail at over £2500 though.
If you are not going to wall mount then have a look at the HD Ready rear pro's.

Cheers
Lee

rb5 286 03 November 2005 03:20 PM

this is the one i have: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=62-63

interesting reading: http://www.billpinnell.com/2005/10/p...n-pioneer.html

JackClark 03 November 2005 03:51 PM

Are there any sets with more that one HDMI input? I'm going to upgrade when I get an XBox 360 but don't want to be plugging and unplugging it. Or, is there a switchbox?

GC8 03 November 2005 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt
True in Sonys case, Im a big fan of Sony but when it comes to plasmas they dont even make them, they got left behind the leaders (Panasonic and Pioneer) and by the time they got round to making/designing them they was in catch up mode...) Cant remember who it is, THINK its either LG or Samsung who make the plasma with Sony badging..... Nowt wrong with either Samsung or LG but in general theyre not usual Sony quality. Hence it pays to know what your buying not just what brand your buying and hope for the best.

I believe that it is Samsung; who are a far higher quality manufacturer than Lucky Goldstar, but dont tell Pikey Pete.....

Simon

djuk 03 November 2005 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
I believe that it is Samsung; who are a far higher quality manufacturer than Lucky Goldstar, but dont tell Pikey Pete.....

Simon

It is indeed Samsung as far as I know.

Fulham71 04 November 2005 01:15 PM

Got it this morning
& so far it looks superb !
Havent fiddled with any settings yet so could get better ;)

davegtt 04 November 2005 01:46 PM

Word of warning, theyre like a cars engine and need to be "run in" for the first 100 (I think thats right) hours most sets come as default with the brightness and contrast settings maxed out, reduce them to below half if this is the case, Burn in etc might not be very common with todays screens but theyre more sensitive during their early hours of use....

Hope thats of some help too you :)

davegtt 04 November 2005 01:48 PM

p.s. get it on the wall and take some piccies for us ;)

GC8 04 November 2005 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt
Word of warning, theyre like a cars engine and need to be "run in" for the first 100 (I think thats right) hours most sets come as default with the brightness and contrast settings maxed out, reduce them to below half if this is the case, Burn in etc might not be very common with todays screens but theyre more sensitive during their early hours of use....

Hope thats of some help too you :)

Further to what Dave's said here; whilst youre running it in avoid channels that have a 'channel identifier' in the corner of the screen: ITV2, SKY1 etc. The reason is that the set is most susceptible to screen burn during these first hours.

Simon

davegtt 04 November 2005 03:49 PM

I didnt bother avoiding channels on mine to be honest, just didnt leave it on that channel all night long (dont fall asleep with the telly on ;) ) but to be fair Ive not seen any hint of burn in whilst having images left on the screen for hours on end.

GC8 04 November 2005 03:55 PM

Plasma screens a principally susceptible to this for the first few hours of use.