ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Knocklink? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/459074-knocklink.html)

pslewis 24 September 2005 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by dpb
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.

I would think that the TROLLS are those who feed duff information so people waste money!!

As I have always maintained ..... if you want to have some CockLink Prick lights flashing up and down your dashboard because it impresses the 14 year olds, then go ahead and buy one.

BUT do NOT tell everyone else (and try to kid yourself) that they actually mean ANYTHING at all!! They do NOT!!

Subaru do not think they are important - Subaru do not fit them or offer them as a dealer fit option.

So, ANALS - stay away, the board is on to you!! The tide is turning, sense will return to ScoobyNet ...................

Pete

Trumptton 24 September 2005 08:16 PM

How has this old wanker got to 13k posts and not been banned yet :cuckoo:

WUZ 24 September 2005 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
I would think that the TROLLS are those who feed duff information so people waste money!!

As I have always maintained ..... if you want to have some CockLink Prick lights flashing up and down your dashboard because it impresses the 14 year olds, then go ahead and buy one.

BUT do NOT tell everyone else (and try to kid yourself) that they actually mean ANYTHING at all!! They do NOT!!

Subaru do not think they are important - Subaru do not fit them or offer them as a dealer fit option.

So, ANALS - stay away, the board is on to you!! The tide is turning, sense will return to ScoobyNet ...................

Pete

OK then Pete, Subaru tell you that running a UK Turbo on 95 Unleaded will be fine.

Subaru say that the Clutch judder on older Classic is "normal , they all do it"

Subaru say there is no such issue as Piston Slap on MY97-99 engines (I've got a copy on the internal memo here which tells the dealer to deny all knowledge).

Subaru do not supply a boost gauge in their cars, do you have one? Are these something that you "in your infinite wisdom" feel is not needed either?
No answer,........................................... .though so!

Bugger off and go and impress your 14 year old "mates" as they are the only people who really care what you think.

Too many people have listened to you babble on on this forum and it seems a lot of people do not like what you say.........HMM, I WONDER WHY:eek:

Russell

ps - anyone want a KnockLink:D

BedHog 24 September 2005 11:57 PM

lmao

Haven't been around for a couple of weeks - I see nothing changes......

Don't trust a man who has done 60K on the original pads - he says Scoobs last forever, lets face it - his probably will, it's never gone over 2000RPM!!

For the rest of us who like to use our right foot occasionally a few safeguards/monitors are nice.

Greeny01 25 September 2005 12:15 AM

exactamundo, if buying a knocklink indicates a potentially fatal engine problem then its worth the dosh. any warning is better than none at all

Iain

P.s. Russell how much can you get them for? Pm me

pslewis 25 September 2005 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Trumptton
How has this old wanker got to 13k posts and not been banned yet :cuckoo:

You can't get banned for speaking the truth - have you always been a loser??

Pete :D

pslewis 25 September 2005 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by WUZ
Too many people have listened to you babble on on this forum and it seems a lot of people do not like what you say.........HMM, I WONDER WHY:eek:

Russell

ps - anyone want a KnockLink:D

You do talk a load of bollox!! :rolleyes:

pslewis 25 September 2005 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by BedHog
Don't trust a man who has done 60K on the original pads - he says Scoobs last forever, lets face it - his probably will, it's never gone over 2000RPM!!

Strange statement there????? Don't listen to someone who treats his car properly? Who does whats required and not wasting money? Who extracts the maximum advantage out of a Scooby? Who delivers a SOLID argument against the ANAL brigade.

You are a prick!! :rolleyes:

pslewis 25 September 2005 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Greeny01
exactamundo, if buying a knocklink indicates a potentially fatal engine problem then its worth the dosh. any warning is better than none at all

ANAL ALERT!!

ANAL ALERT!!

ANAL ALERT!!

ANAL ALERT!!

Don't you listen to ANYTHING??? Fit a Cocklink and if you get a RED light adjust it so that you only get GREENS ....... WTF does that do then????

I don't know, some people are just plain THICK! :rolleyes:

ben44 25 September 2005 02:26 AM

And some are old farts who also drive MX5's ;)

You are a tw@t. Some people buy cars to drive them hard. You don't. You drive like a cnut obviously. Why give bull**** info? You have no real knowledge of what you say. A knocklink might help just 1 person out of the thousands of owners. ;)

If the whole world thought and agreed with you it would be fooking suicide time :rolleyes: Some people have there own (and correct) opions ;)

scoobfan 25 September 2005 09:33 AM

Morning Pete :D

Rob :)

highlander68k 25 September 2005 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by WUZ
Bugger off and go and impress your 14 year old "mates" as they are the only people who really care what you think.

Somebody's tired! ;)

Hi Russell, hope things are well. Shame you couldn't make it to AWD open day a few weeks ago.

pslewis 25 September 2005 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Morning Pete :D

Rob :)

Morning Rob ;) :D

Thought I would warm up ScoobyNet before the sun rose :D ;)

Pete

Greeny01 25 September 2005 11:05 AM

ANAL ALERT!!

ANAL ALERT!!

ANAL ALERT!!

ANAL ALERT!!

Don't you listen to ANYTHING??? Fit a Cocklink and if you get a RED light adjust it so that you only get GREENS ....... WTF does that do then????

Yes to set it up,you do that. But it will identify det, and therefore have some warning of irregularitys under the bonnet. So what, if somethings going to give you a slights heads up on a possible problem its a bad thing? Sounds to me like you're the thick one around here not me.

Dracoro 25 September 2005 11:26 AM

Yes to set it up,you do that. But it will identify det, and therefore have some warning of irregularitys under the bonnet. So what, if somethings going to give you a slights heads up on a possible problem its a bad thing? Sounds to me like you're the thick one around here not me.

From what I've read, the knocklink is akin to a device in your car that, say, detects potholes in the road after (or while) you've driven over it. It's too late then. Anyway, if you use correct fuel and booster etc. why should this ever be an issue?

If it were just pete, then yeah I'd not take it at face value but since most, if not all, of the major scooby tuners say it's a waste of time then that says it really is a waste of time.

CyprusScooby 25 September 2005 12:05 PM

So back to the original question, is it a good thing or not?
I do have a JDM car, so det is a real possibility for me. I'm going to get it re-mapped for Optimax by Andy Forrest when I get it back to the UK.

Trout 25 September 2005 12:14 PM

From my own experience - I would say that they are a good idea.

They do need to be set up - that is absolutely correct - and once they are set up they can be very useful. Here are two situations where it was very useful to me.

On track, especially on hot days, as the engine got heatsoaked after a lot of laps the level of det gradually started to rise. It would then get to a point where it would increase significantly after one lap. This gave me specific warning to bring the car in for a nice cool down.

Specifically this was on a car that did not have knock sensing on the ECU and so the visible knocklink is very important. (The majority of aftermarket ECUs - even those set up by some of the tuners named above - do not use knock sensing. Indeed the standard JECS ECU only has basic knocksensing hence the number of Subaru engines of all types that have suffered terminal detonation!)

The second circumstance is that if your car is dependent on higher RON fuel and you get a bad batch of fuel you will know within a few yards of the petrol station - again potentially saving your engine.

Det is not black and white - you have none or you blow your engine. If you look at a decent ECU log you can see that the 'noise' gradually rises until the detonation becomes fatal. In these circumstances a Knocklink can be very valuable.

So if you have an aftermarket ECU and the car is tuned for higher performance then a Knocklink can be a very good idea. Get it set up right.

If you are concerned about fuel quality then the same can apply.

Rannoch :D

PS If you have continuing concerns then check this thread out ;)

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...c;f=1;t=003492

WUZ 25 September 2005 12:26 PM

Rannoch - never thought you frequented on here any more? Good to see a regular face again:D

As said above, it helps to possibly save from a batch of dodgy fuel, or terminal engine damage, so in that regard its worth the money.

Russell

CyprusScooby 25 September 2005 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrjud
I started a thread ages ago asking where to buy a knocklink from and PSLEWIS told me not to get one and gave me a load of sh1t. anyway i have got one cost me £150 brand new 3 months ago and its still in new condition because i never used it i took it out of its packaging read the instructions and put it in the cuboard. how can you trust some thing that you have to set the sensitivity on. yes if some one had det can's and a laptop and new exactly what they were doing and set it using these on a rolling road then yes it might do something. butif the lights go red whilst your driving lightly lets turn the sensivity down so they don't come on again. how does the average bloke know when the lights are suppose to be on and not on.I'm not saying don't get one but i wasted my money take notice of pslewis he does speak some sense.

Wanna sell it then?

highlander68k 25 September 2005 12:53 PM

A bloody good post there Rannoch.

I know there can be noticable things when your engine is detting. Audible noise, lack of power, blah blah.

Turn the stereo up - you can't hear it.
Lack of power - not necessarily det.

I managed to blow an engine within less than 1/2 a second. Even with an instant reaction (foot off) to a pipe blowing (splitting) it was too late.

They are a great way of letting us concentrating on driving rather than spending a whole journey listening and feeling for problems.

And before you say it Pete - even an un-modified Impreza can blow because of det.

pslewis 25 September 2005 01:20 PM

Gives you the 'Heads up' ?????????? thats dickhead speak mate!! :rolleyes:

I suppose it came from some 'Clear Sky Thinking'??? :rolleyes:

Pete

pslewis 25 September 2005 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
If it were just pete, then yeah I'd not take it at face value

HEY!!!! Cheeky foooker!! ;) ;) :D

Point taken though!! :D

Pete

Ben WRX Bug-Eye 25 September 2005 02:13 PM

What is the likely hood of getting a 'bad batch' of Optimax?

Planning on getting my car mapped for 98RON - would it be safer to have it mapped on 97RON and then run it on 98RON?

jasonius 25 September 2005 02:16 PM

Gives you the 'Heads up' ?????????? thats dickhead speak mate!! :rolleyes:

I suppose it came from some 'Clear Sky Thinking'??? :rolleyes:

Pete

I think you mean 'blue sky'..?

A bit like 'thinking out of the box' but I forget Pete, you already have one foot IN THE BOX..!;)

jasonius 25 September 2005 02:29 PM

Out of interest Pete, given that you're such a wonderfully experienced driver, what's the highest RPM you've taken your scoob to..? (and MPH while we're at it..?)

Trout 25 September 2005 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye

Planning on getting my car mapped for 98RON - would it be safer to have it mapped on 97RON and then run it on 98RON?

Rumour has it that Optimax can 'go off'.

I certainly have at least one experience of the fuel just not being right. With a classic turbo a small reduction in RON can have a big effect!

highlander68k 25 September 2005 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Rumour has it that Optimax can 'go off'.

I certainly have at least one experience of the fuel just not being right. With a classic turbo a small reduction in RON can have a big effect!

It's no rumour about it going off.

IIRC, fuels with additives to increase the octane (oxygenated fuels) are more prone to it too. Outboard users can purchase fuel stabilisers to reduce the speed at which fuel degrades.

highlander68k 25 September 2005 06:04 PM

Does a bear lay logs in the woods?

Turbotits 25 September 2005 06:21 PM

Yep i've had one bad batch in two years,YES i do have a knocklink and new straight away(got the red lights).In went the octane booster and no more det.I cant say whether the engine would have let go or not.I can say i was able to do all that was required to minimise a potential expensive rebuild.

Was the £150ish i spent worth it?I think so!

pslewis 25 September 2005 07:44 PM

OK, I concede ................... if you are an old woman who scares herself if the light sways a little in the night - then fine, buy a CockLink!! :rolleyes:

FFS if your engine about to blow - you CAN hear it!!!!!

If you can't hear it, you should NOT be let anywhere near proper cars - have you thought about the go-karts on the end of Brighton Pier?? thats about all you should be allowed to drive!! :rolleyes:

You big girls blouses!! :rolleyes:

Pete