ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   F**k off tree huggers (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/437757-f-k-off-tree-huggers.html)

IPKIS 29 June 2005 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I bought a Range Rover....

Compliment me on my big daddy bling machine, so I can gloat in my own self fulfilment . :D

All you need now is the Overfinch conversion to make it perfect :thumb:

or stick in that V8 you've got kicking about and create the ultimate off roader :norty:

DrunkenPikie 30 June 2005 08:29 AM

Range Rover, Toerag both OK, X5 footballers wife special for to55ers with no taste or style.
530D and the Skoda top cars mentioned here so far, 2 people who don't look like pr1cks driving their car at least.

LIDDO 30 June 2005 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkenPikie
Range Rover, Toerag both OK, X5 footballers wife special for to55ers with no taste or style.
530D and the Skoda top cars mentioned here so far, 2 people who don't look like pr1cks driving their car at least.

BTW, What do YOU drive DrunkenPikie, just out of curiosity??

zoog 30 June 2005 09:04 AM

Drunken's opinions of the X5 are IMHO quite accurate, I detest the aggressive way they look and my experience of their owners' driving styles is similarly jaundiced. Drunken just delivers his opinions in a rather provocative and hostile manner. He does his cause no favours as a result.

DrunkenPikie 30 June 2005 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by LIDDO
BTW, What do YOU drive DrunkenPikie, just out of curiosity??

Not an X5, they are for aspirational bottom rung loser types who imagine they confer status where in fact they confirm that the driver is indeed a maggot.
The car I prefer to drive most amongst my fleet is our Elan Sprint DHC.

LIDDO 30 June 2005 11:35 AM

Not an X5, they are for aspirational bottom rung loser types who imagine they confer status where in fact they confirm that the driver is indeed a maggot.

Why do you like driving around in a peice of s**t like that????

DrunkenPikie 30 June 2005 11:38 AM

Probably because I appreciate a car that has very pure handling and pedigree.
Rather than a footballer's wife scumbag special.

LIDDO 30 June 2005 11:42 AM

DOH! Not the answer I was looking for! I've looked at a lot of your posts, and your VERY angry and rude on most. I think the Lotus is a nice lil motor, just thought you'd kick off if someone dissed your car. Hmmmmm :rolleyes:

DrunkenPikie 30 June 2005 11:45 AM

I'm only rude if it warrants it. Your comments about the Elan were so off the mark I was happy to let you make a fool of yourself. Glad you realise that it is in fact one of the finest British sports cars ever made.
Wouldn't want to use it every day though. Mind you if the choice was that or looking like scum in an X5.

I'd probably walk.

LIDDO 30 June 2005 12:00 PM

But SOOOO many TV shows rate it VERY highly. JC thinks its a great car, aswell as Tiff. I think it IS a great car, but given a bad image by certain drivers, ie Toffy nosed mums, and drug dealers, and BIG fat bosses in the fast lane. It's well put together and goes well too. Gotta be 1000 times more reliable than a Range Rover too. It's all about opinions i suppose. Id have one, IF it was given too me that is, then Id sell it and buy the new Maserati..Phhwwooaaaarrrr ;)

DrunkenPikie 30 June 2005 12:08 PM

THE BMW X5 for pr1cks who didn't have the brains to just buy the 5 series.
The X5 and nobheads who own, lease and drive these abominations are part of the reason BMW doesn't bring it's "ix" 4wd cars to our shores. That's reason enough to hate them, never mind the poor image.

logiclee 30 June 2005 01:07 PM

Or people who need the weight of an off roader for towing. The Range Rover has questionable build and reliability, the Merc ML is crap, the new Disco lacks power in diesel form and the old one is pants, the Jeep stuff is poor. There are the cheaper Kia and Hyundia stuff but these also lack grunt. Lexus lack a diesel model.
Only real alternative is the Toureg IMO but the V10 TDi is more money than the VW badge can stand and the old 2.5TDi was too weak. VW have recently started to offer the Toureg with the new 3.0TDi which should be a true X5 3.0D challenger but it's not available second hand yet.

Cheers
Lee

Dracoro 30 June 2005 01:29 PM

What are you toqing that you need an X5 for? A 5 series/omega/a6 size car with a v6 oro tdi has ample power and weight to tow a good sized horsebox or caravan.

Dracoro 30 June 2005 01:32 PM

besides, I've never seen an X5 with a tow bar or towing.

Jonathan Davies 30 June 2005 01:35 PM

Shogun? Land Cruiser? X5s are about blinging not towing.

logiclee 30 June 2005 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
What are you toqing that you need an X5 for? A 5 series/omega/a6 size car with a v6 oro tdi has ample power and weight to tow a good sized horsebox or caravan.

No they haven't.

Even heavy large saloon cars like the Omega etc only have kerbweights of around 1650kg.

Most large UK vans from run of the mill mainstream manufacturers like Swift, Bailey, Eldiss etc top the scales with a MTPLM of around 1700kg.
Staying within the recommended 85% rule you are looking for a vehicle with a kerbweight of over 2000kg. Even a Audi A8 4.0V8 TDi Quattro or big engined S Class Merc would only just make it.

Start looking at the larger German vans or high spec UK vans and your looking at a MTPLM of over 2000kg needing a tow car of 2350kg. Even some large 4X4 off roaders would struggle with these.

A large saloon with a kebweight of 1650kg would be looking at towing a caravan with an MTPLM of only 1400kg to keep within the recommended 85% . Most small 17' single axle vans exceed 1400kg.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee 30 June 2005 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
Shogun? Land Cruiser?

Yep two that I missed but the Shogun is really showing it's age now. The LC Collarado is a fine car although the big Amazon is old technology and expensive.

See plenty of X5's towing but unfortunatley a lot are used only to take the kids to school.

Cheers
Lee

Dracoro 30 June 2005 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by logiclee
No they haven't.

Even heavy large saloon cars like the Omega etc only have kerbweights of around 1650kg.

A large saloon with a kebweight of 1650kg would be looking at towing a caravan with an MTPLM of only 1400kg to keep within the recommended 85% . Most small 17' single axle vans exceed 1400kg.

I understand the weight rule. I am, however, ignorant regarding how much trailers/horseboxes/caravans weigh. My guess is Car trailers about 250kg, 2 horsebox about 900kg, small/medium caravan about 400kg? bigs ones nearer 1000kg.

If my assumptions are correct you only need a 2 tonne plus vehicle for rather large horseboxes or large heavy trailers. 'most' people who tow 'occasionally' tend to go for lighter stuff (like myself hiring trailers to take little westie to trackdays etc.).

On the subject of X5's, why aren't many owners honest about their purchase? They hide behind bullsh1t reasons. Many/most buy them for the following reasons:
1) high driving position
2) they think they are 'cool'
3) the I'm safe, sod the rest of the world
4) the badge

All of which are fair game, not my priorities in a car but they are for some and I support their right to buy the things, it's the dishonesty I care little for.

logiclee 30 June 2005 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
I understand the weight rule. I am, however, ignorant regarding how much trailers/horseboxes/caravans weigh. My guess is Car trailers about 250kg, 2 horsebox about 900kg, small/medium caravan about 400kg? bigs ones nearer 1000kg.

If my assumptions are correct you only need a 2 tonne plus vehicle for rather large horseboxes or large heavy trailers. 'most' people who tow 'occasionally' tend to go for lighter stuff (like myself hiring trailers to take little westie to trackdays etc.).

You're way out mate.

Even little 2 berths like this Swift Challenger has a MPTLM of 1300kg.
http://www.webpurchase.co.uk/Graham/...A8/$File/a.jpg
This would require a tow car with kerbside weight of 1530kg to keep within 85%. The last shape 530d only just manages this with a kerb weight of 1575kg.

Moving up to small family caravans you are looking at 1500kg van needing a 1760kg towcar
http://www.webpurchase.co.uk/Graham/...65/$File/a.jpg

and a twin axle van nearly 1800kg needing a 2150kg towcar.
http://www.webpurchase.co.uk/Graham/...D2/$File/a.jpg

These are not heavy vans, look at the German Hymers or UK Vanmaster's and you can add another 300kg to the above vans.

Looking at some of the outfits on UK roads it's no suprise there are so many caravan accidents and outfits that hold up traffic flow.

Cheers
Lee

Jonathan Davies 30 June 2005 07:12 PM

There we have it: X5 is the caravanner's delight (and not flash at all) ;-)

logiclee 30 June 2005 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
There we have it: X5 is the caravanner's delight (and not flash at all) ;-)

:D

Wouldn't go that far. ;)

But for some people the 5 Series is not an alternative and the X5 is more than a bling fashion statement. It's a good car, an excellent tow car and holds it's value well.

Cheers
Lee

SKYMAN 30 June 2005 08:34 PM

The X5 and nobheads who own, lease and drive these abominations are part of the reason BMW doesn't bring it's "ix" 4wd cars to our shores. That's reason enough to hate them, never mind the poor image.

OK..fed up now. Just go and die please!

unclebuck 30 June 2005 08:48 PM

Not an X5, they are for aspirational bottom rung loser types who imagine they confer status
Actually, I have to agree on that point. You forgot to mention that they have had to double mortgage their rubbish Barret box in order to raise the money to buy one.

SKYMAN 30 June 2005 09:53 PM

Ok, let's look at this a little more closely. I never thought about this...but I could have bought 6 or 7 of your bathtubs for the price of my car. Missed a trick...but then again I never did like Lego.

SKYMAN 30 June 2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Actually, I have to agree on that point. You forgot to mention that they have had to double mortgage their rubbish Barret box in order to raise the money to buy one.

Do the maths........£63,000 car, buys a shed like yours no doubt!

SKYMAN 30 June 2005 10:14 PM

I'm only rude if it warrants it. Your comments about the Elan were so off the mark I was happy to let you make a fool of yourself. Glad you realise that it is in fact one of the finest British sports cars ever made.
Wouldn't want to use it every day though. Mind you if the choice was that or looking like scum in an X5.

I'd probably walk.

and I'd do my best to run you over..............with my oversized alloys....................**** you asshole!

ALi-B 30 June 2005 10:34 PM

The 85% weight rule for trailer loads is made up by bearded caravanners who like the belt and braces approach rather than the realists. Depending how good the tow vehicle is and stability of the trailer/van, the weight could be much more...or much less.

For example, A classic Rangie - absolutely rubbish at towing anything. Volvo 265 with a monroe tow pack - could tow a pikey caravan with no problems.

Generally, most off roaders are crap at towing.

Don't ask why I know this, I just do. It's far too emabrassing...perhaps I should delete this post ;):D

logiclee 01 July 2005 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The 85% weight rule for trailer loads is made up by bearded caravanners who like the belt and braces approach rather than the realists. Depending how good the tow vehicle is and stability of the trailer/van, the weight could be much more...or much less.

For example, A classic Rangie - absolutely rubbish at towing anything. Volvo 265 with a monroe tow pack - could tow a pikey caravan with no problems.

Generally, most off roaders are crap at towing.

Don't ask why I know this, I just do. It's far too emabrassing...perhaps I should delete this post ;):D

I tend to agree, I've been towing for nearly twenty years, at work and at home, I'm quite happy to go upto 99% as long as I've personaly loaded the car and trailer and ensured the tyre pressure, stabiliser and couplings OK.
I would never recommend towing a trailer heavier than the tow vehicle though, not this side of a 5th wheel coupling anyway.

Cheers
Lee

cookstar 01 July 2005 05:41 AM

So it will beat an Impreza so fcuking what? I don't own one of those either. I don't like tacky rally reps or school run 4x4's. Both are for people at the bottom of the foodchain. One step up from a mollusc.
I also reckon the paint stained clothing will be ideal for the X5, it's a vehicle for people pretending to be something they aren't. Can't think of a car with a worse image apart from an old impreza with a tea tray spoiler and graphics.
Oh and before I get the "what are you doing on an Impreza owner BBS" comments, I'll tell you, because I can, so smoke it.

Come on own up, you have a small willy dont ya :)

G_Sleigh_STi 01 July 2005 06:27 AM

Great car X5's.

But if you going to have one you may as well make it looking pimping with 24" deep dish chromes and tints just because it makes them look mean. And the optional huge bull bars