ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   scooby shoot out would this make you have ago (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/422117-scooby-shoot-out-would-this-make-you-have-ago.html)

Houghton 28 April 2005 09:33 PM

Bob,
YHPM. Save hijacking the thread.

PS See you at SSO? :)

scooby-si 29 April 2005 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Gerry,

Where is WRC RR?

Spill the beans on the figures then :)

Bob

about 350 ish wasnt it??;):D

Houghton 29 April 2005 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by scooby-si
about 350 ish wasnt it??;):D

:D

Da Booga 29 April 2005 08:22 PM

I think they do a very similar scheme in certain pro drag events where both drivers submit a target time before the drag and it's the driver that gets closest to their time without going faster that wins that heat.

Puts the emphasis a lot more on the driver skill than the vehicle. May be an idea for the "lesser powered" entrants.

MichaelH 29 April 2005 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Da Booga
I think they do a very similar scheme in certain pro drag events where both drivers submit a target time before the drag and it's the driver that gets closest to their time without going faster that wins that heat.

Puts the emphasis a lot more on the driver skill than the vehicle. May be an idea for the "lesser powered" entrants.

Driver skills?!?!? :o :o

I was hoping if I have a decent amount of power I might achieve some reasonable figures despite driver 'skill' !!!!!

Dream Weaver 30 April 2005 09:40 AM

Ha, theres a silly amount of skill involved in quarter mile sprints.

To give you an idea, at the last shootout my bottom end knackered, holed inlet tract 205 Mi16 which was probably only putting out 130bhp was a second quicker than about 5 standard Scoobs, and it was my first go so I should have been quicker.

Its all about getting the power down properly and its a real art.

chrisT.O.T.B. 30 April 2005 12:20 PM

we have now arranged some additional prizes with Opie Oils for the following;

fastest 1/4m of the day
Highest Top speed
fastest 60ft time
Scoobyshootout Champion

Winners will receive a 5litre pack of Silkolene Pro S fully synthetic oil .

Other trophies and awards will be given for classes based on times as previously mentioned, ie 13.5s class, 12.5s class, 11.5s class.
:-)

scooby-si 30 April 2005 12:24 PM

:thumb: nice one chris lets hope this works:D

Ha, theres a silly amount of skill involved in quarter mile sprints
does this mean iam silly or i have a little bit of skill 12.5 with 310bhp:Suspiciou

Aztec Performance Ltd 04 May 2005 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by chrisT.O.T.B.
we have now arranged some additional prizes with Opie Oils for the following;

fastest 1/4m of the day
Highest Top speed
fastest 60ft time
Scoobyshootout Champion

Winners will receive a 5litre pack of Silkolene Pro S fully synthetic oil .

Other trophies and awards will be given for classes based on times as previously mentioned, ie 13.5s class, 12.5s class, 11.5s class.
:-)

Does that mean I can enter into the 13.5sec class? :D

Bob

Aztec Performance Ltd 05 May 2005 02:36 PM

bttt for clarification on classes etc...

Bob :)

scooby-si 05 May 2005 03:11 PM

yes i think so but if you go under 13.5 you will move up a class;)

P20SPD 05 May 2005 03:27 PM

Bob you could enter the slowest class on offer if you like, but the moment you run quicker than that class, you go into the next class. So if you enter the 13.5 and slower class, and you run a 13.51, you are likely to have the best time in that class, however, if you run a 13.49, you are automatically bumped up to the 12.5 class, and therefore probably have the slowest time in that class.

Seriously tough, i have been to York Dragway, which by all accounts is fairly similar to the pod, both on cost and number of runs, and Elvington is in a different league for VFM in my book, a far better day out. Christ you could do 30 plus runs if you wished. Try doing that at SP :D

SSO is something i feel quite strongly about, it was originally devised between Dave Peck and myself, and we ultimately passed the organising on to Chris. Attending SSO2 last year was great to see its development from SSO1.

Simon has now added the best suggestion yet with regard to adding a little competition for everyone.

In summary

SSO1 Sept 2003 - Excellent day, under attended, but no body knew what was going to be running. Harvey won with an 11.74, i came second with a 12.16.

SSO2 May 2004 - Stonking day, massive attendance, 1st 10 second scoob (Calder at 10.98), loads of people there, but i suspect a lot of people who thought there scoobs were untouchable, only to be obliterated on the strip :(

SSO3 May 2005 - Should be an excellent day, competitors should not try and compete with the big power guys you see on here, but more amongst friends/clubs etc. Remember this is a safe environment to launch your car from a set of traffic lights, to see what top speed you can reach, with out PC Plod waiting round the corner to take your licence away.

IMO if you set yourself a personal target, arrange a grudge match with a friend, etc, it will be far more interesting than trying desperately to achieve an impossible 11second quarter on a standard scoob, and ultimately being dissapointed.

One of my favourite moments at one of these events, was when i ran against an M3 in my early days, i screwed up my launch big time (2.4 second 60ft), and my friend said the guy he was talking to was laughing his tits off at me getting whipped by an M3, my friend said, wait till he goes into 3rd gear, low and behold, once it went into 3rd, the M3 was reeled in and passed, to be promptly demolished in 4th :D, the guys face was a picture :D.

Please, i urge you, to join in the fun, have a laugh, try it once, if you think its crap, fair enough, but try it once, you may be surprised.

Steven

ps Mickey, WTF are you taking your missus for £50 for a weekend, you tight northern sod ;)

Aztec Performance Ltd 05 May 2005 03:28 PM

So....

13.5secs = win :D
13.4secs = lose :cry:

??

P20SPD 05 May 2005 03:29 PM

Bob, we all know your in the 12's, so stop pussey footing about :p

Aztec Performance Ltd 05 May 2005 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by P20SPD
Bob, we all know your in the 12's, so stop pussey footing about :p

I dont know what you're talking about ;)

Aztec Performance Ltd 05 May 2005 03:42 PM

Would think that turbo classes would be better:

ie:
TD04
TD05 or similar
TD05/06 or similar
Everything bigger

Now that would make it more competitive.

P20SPD 05 May 2005 03:53 PM

and stupidly difficult to police, keep it simple and sensible

Aztec Performance Ltd 05 May 2005 06:40 PM

As you know I got 12.49 at Santa Pod with some room for improvement. I would have no chance in that class (11.5-12.5secs).

Hope it all goes well though. A bit too far/expensive for me though.

Bob

chrisT.O.T.B. 05 May 2005 10:24 PM

so if you run a 12.51s consistently with a bit of skill and practise you could win the class, as long as you dont break out. classes like this do add a bit of fun to the "mere mortals" day, its already proved popular on the rwyb days at elvington. trying to implement/run and marshal classes based on cc's, turbo spec or the like is impossible to police, and detracts from what is after all a fun day for most. the ultra quick cars will all move up into 11.5s or break out and go into unlimited. the top scoobys will end up in the shootout final, but anything can and will happen when its first across the line!
dont forget that there is also the chance to take your car toward its top speed on the runway, and get a genuine speed trap result, without fear of cars/coppers/prison etc etc!

Dox 05 May 2005 11:33 PM

SSO1 Finals Video

SSO is something i feel quite strongly about, it was originally devised between Dave Peck and myself, and we ultimately passed the organising on to Chris. Attending SSO2 last year was great to see its development from SSO1.

In summary

SSO1 Sept 2003 - Excellent day, under attended, but no body knew what was going to be running. Harvey won with an 11.74, i came second with a 12.16.

I had my video camera at SSO1, and even turned out a "movie" of the two semi's and the final. You can see Steve & Gadget Daz get exactly the same launch times and even watch Harvey being beaten off the line in the final, before what looked like a muffed gear change?

The shrunk 320x240 version of the movie is here if anyone fancies a dollop of nostalgia (with apologies for the dodgey camera work) ;)

Dox..

scooby-si 06 May 2005 04:00 AM

why didnt we do this last year i got a 12.59:) loved the sso last year semi finals dam close semi final at that:D 22B v S202 :) but just to make it to the final cut was the best thing,my target was the top ten,i wa smore than happy with my 7th and 2nd in the 60ft time

sso 1, 1/4 mile 21st; 2nd in reaction time

sso 2,1/4 mile 7th(semi final), 2nd in the 60ft time

sso 3,down on knees praying and putting sugar in all the top bhp cars fuel:D;)

scooby-si 06 May 2005 04:05 AM

chris want would be good is a 0/60mph test/comp as well;)

P20SPD 06 May 2005 08:06 AM

Dox, great nostalgia, not seen them before :D, the clutch slipped in 2nd, and then i couldnt get 3rd :(

redwrx 06 May 2005 09:01 AM

Just being contraversial,

but the amount of folks on here that go on its 'chav' this and 'chav' that........ the so called chavs (wannabees) who do street race, get criticised to hell , yet whats happening here, its just being moved from street to circuit, ...and then spending the next few months going on 'mine is quicker than yours'...

So, before we slag of 'chavs' ..... just remember that 'each to their own'... sorry, going back to the thread title, the shootout just aint for me.

Frank

highlander68k 06 May 2005 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by redwrx
Just being contraversial,

but the amount of folks on here that go on its 'chav' this and 'chav' that........ the so called chavs (wannabees) who do street race, get criticised to hell , yet whats happening here, its just being moved from street to circuit, ...and then spending the next few months going on 'mine is quicker than yours'...

So, before we slag of 'chavs' ..... just remember that 'each to their own'... sorry, going back to the thread title, the shootout just aint for me.

Frank

A controlled environment is what it's all about. No pedestrians crossing the road. No lamposts to knock down or parked cars to damage - only ourself. A surface free from debris (I hope) and oil spills etc. No residents to upset etc..

However, it's not just about driving down a drag strip. There is a social side to all of these events too. Just as pigeon fanciers get together to talk about that, so do many car enthusiasts. Hopefully we won't see anybody in Burberry clothing and masses of gold at the event. If we do, then that's their choice of what to wear.

As for going on about it for months afterwards - that is life. It's not just cars, it's politics, football (1966 for example) and many other interests.

Dox 06 May 2005 09:30 AM

More SSO1 Videos

Dox, great nostalgia, not seen them before :D, the clutch slipped in 2nd, and then i couldnt get 3rd :(

I loaded the whole footage onto the laptop with a plan to snip each run into a separate file and then list them on a pretty web page. Trouble was, I didn't know who half the drivers were and had to listen to the comentary to figure it out. I did send a few people their runs, but ran out of time. If anyone is interested, I've uploaded the whole (37Mb) video here.

There's a run between Harvey and Andy Nicholls' rover at 3:50, and a couple of runs of P20SPD against BAH's silver bullet at around 14:00. (Timecodes on the video, not 1/4 mile times :D )

I took the camera to SSO2 as well, but Dave said it was being recorded profesionally too. As it turned out, I had No.1 son with me too and had to use both hands to stop him falling over the safety rails so didn't get a single still or minute of video...:( Oh well... There's always this year ;)

Dox

redwrx 06 May 2005 09:53 AM

Like i said, 'each to their own'........... SSO, its not for me, i was merely voicing my opinion, as does every one else, when you mention lexus lights, neons and flame kits etc.

( no' i haven't got neons or a flame kit on my scoob)

and in line with the thread title - , would this make you have ago, for me, no............ as for the social side, i organised the BBO at Blackpool, im in to that.....showing the general public, that there can be a positive side to motoring enthusiam.

P20SPD 06 May 2005 11:06 AM

are you therefore implying that this is a negative side to motoring enthusiasm?

SPEN555 06 May 2005 12:42 PM

Another suggestion.

What about a prize for first timers?

That way you may encourage newcomers to try it?

Finding out if they are a first timer is difficult I would imagine. Also, if a first timer enters with a 600bhp scoob and lauches it that would be great to watch lol! :D :D :D

Damian.

David_Wallis 06 May 2005 02:26 PM

One of my favourite moments at one of these events, was when i ran against an M3 in my early days, i screwed up my launch big time (2.4 second 60ft), and my friend said the guy he was talking to was laughing his tits off at me getting whipped by an M3, my friend said, wait till he goes into 3rd gear, low and behold, once it went into 3rd, the M3 was reeled in and passed, to be promptly demolished in 4th , the guys face was a picture .
Hmmm :D :D :D :D :D

Also, if a first timer enters with a 600bhp scoob and lauches it that would be great to watch lol!
Well Ill be there with hopefully 600bhp.. Planning on using race fuel for this.. if headgasket and valve turn up :D

David