ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Layercake (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/409990-layercake.html)

DJ Dunk 19 March 2005 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Dammit, just got a very apologetic email from CD-Wow to say I won't be getting my 2 disc copy till next week due to them running out of stock, I blame DJ Dunk ;)

Don't blame me Sal :Suspiciou :D

Mmmm . . . Sienna Miller . . . even better in Alfie :eek: :D

EddScott 23 March 2005 10:14 AM

Sorry to drag this one back but only just watched Layer Cake.

Personally thought it was an excellent film and I thought it was more of an inteligent watch than snatch and lock stock.

My only niggle was that my GF got completely lost half way through so I had to stop the film and explain what was going on - it is quite hard to follow in places.

My first though was funny to see the "Chief" from Star Trek doing the gangster thing.

03-CTR 23 March 2005 10:53 AM

i thought it was a great film and made lock stock/snatch look ameuterish by comparison (still good films tho).

my only gripe was that tammy didn't feature quite enough and esp with those sussies :norty: :norty: :norty: :norty:

http://img183.exs.cx/img183/6590/43xr.jpg

http://img208.exs.cx/img208/818/l089od.jpg

Andy Tang 23 March 2005 10:58 AM

I have Lock Stock in my collection and was going to buy Snatch, but I would get rid of those two for Layer Cake.

I thought it was a clever well thought out movie. I saw in in the cinema and remember raving about it after so it must have been good! ;)

Tiggs 23 March 2005 11:07 AM

im surprsied....saw it last night. thought it was a bit slow and just didnt "get it"......the cafe scene for example....just didnt work for me.

5/10 (and thats an extra point for the ending)

CEL 23 March 2005 12:37 PM

Excellent film, would recommend seeing it at least.

Tiggs, the cafe scene.... it all becomes clear a few minutes after... pay attention man :razz: :D

davegtt 23 March 2005 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott

My only niggle was that my GF got completely lost half way through so I had to stop the film and explain what was going on - it is quite hard to follow in places.

LMFAO, Had exactly the same problem, was laughing at things and the woman was looking at me as if to say what you laughing at... she got completly lost. To be honest though I didnt think it was half as good as it could have been. still worth a watch though IMO

Tiggs 23 March 2005 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by CEL
Excellent film, would recommend seeing it at least.

Tiggs, the cafe scene.... it all becomes clear a few minutes after... pay attention man :razz: :D

ok...explain it to me?????

I thought they were supposed to be slick pros.....seemed a bit out of place to do what he did......just didnt work for me.

blueone 23 March 2005 01:25 PM

To be honest. I thought it was a very well made film. I could not fault the craft in any area. Although saying that I didn't think it was very original, the only surprise I had was seeing I think it was Mick Johnson from Brookie in it! I did not think it had any twists or surprises I wasn't expecting at all really. For some reason it was a severe case of Deja vue for me. I'm not saying it wasn't a good film, just that there was nothing to make me think a bit deeper about it. I would go so far as to say that the only original bit was the title 'The layer cake'. It used a well trodden formula and was highly polished in its delivery, I think sums it up.

EddScott 23 March 2005 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tiggs
ok...explain it to me?????

I thought they were supposed to be slick pros.....seemed a bit out of place to do what he did......just didnt work for me.

The guy taking the beating was responsible for the black guy spending 10 years in prison. To ask the black guy to buy him breakfast and ask for money was taking the pi55.

Tiggs 23 March 2005 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott
The guy taking the beating was responsible for the black guy spending 10 years in prison. To ask the black guy to buy him breakfast and ask for money was taking the pi55.

i know why he did it!!!!! my point was the black guy is supposed to be a slick pro that knows what prison is like so does his best to avoid going back (thats how he was introduced).......but he risks going back for murder? didnt make sense no matter how pissed off he was to behave the way he did.

just didnt work for me thats all!

CEL 23 March 2005 02:57 PM

Slick pro or not, wouldn't you be pi$$ed off if someone who put you away for 10 years asked you for money and sat there acting as though he did nothing???

I'm not having a 'dig' directly at you tiggs... seems i misinterpreted your original post!!

:)

Tiggs 23 March 2005 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by CEL
Slick pro or not, wouldn't you be pi$$ed off if someone who put you away for 10 years asked you for money and sat there acting as though he did nothing???

I'm not having a 'dig' directly at you tiggs... seems i misinterpreted your original post!!

:)

yes i would.....i would have him killed.

i wouldnt beat him to death in a public place....unless i like prison and wated to go back.

Markus 23 March 2005 03:42 PM

Still mighty pissed off it's not out on DVD or the flicks yet here. One R2 compatible DVD player on it's way! lol.

From the sound of it though, it's about as good a translation from the book as possible,though I've heard the ending is different, but I shall wait and see.

Carl Davey 23 March 2005 07:34 PM

Look at it a different way.

He's portrayed as the 'slick pro' by X at the beginning. To show him losing the head at the chap who put him away adds weight to Mortys feelings towards the guy - he's prepared to risk going back to effect revenge.

Some people just read too much into films... :rolleyes: :p :D

scoobynutta555 23 March 2005 08:42 PM

very good film. Not sure about the ending though.