ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Crafty/sneaky coppers (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/406828-crafty-sneaky-coppers.html)

Ubik 28 February 2005 03:10 PM

Are plates covered with the MOT?

If so with a valid certificate can't you prove everything is fine?

yoza 28 February 2005 03:11 PM

If you covered your plate with an MOT, you wouldnt see the plate.

Defeats the object really........:confused:

Gav1 28 February 2005 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by yoza
www.politics.co.uk/public-services/prison-service-sickness-rate-unacceptable-$7589358.htm

http://www.parliament.uk/parliamenta...180105_pn1.cfm

Im not making it up.

Yeah, knew about this already, wasn't saying you're making it up.Again its a generalisation, not all of us are on the sick...just the idle gits and the ones that shouldn't be in the job in the first place, oh and a few genuine ones.
Keep up the good work.

Gav.

yoza 28 February 2005 03:18 PM

"Keep up the good work".....

I would do, but Im off sick. :)

Really.

Oh the irony.

Ubik 28 February 2005 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by yoza
If you covered your plate with an MOT, you wouldnt see the plate.

Defeats the object really........:confused:

:D :thumb:

IanW 28 February 2005 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ubik
Are plates covered with the MOT?

If so with a valid certificate can't you prove everything is fine?

The MOT only proves that the vehicle met all the regulations at the time that it was tested. It doesn't mean that it was/is fully legal to be on the road at all times. Look at how many de-catted Subarus are on the road, how many of those have a cat fitted just to get it through the MOT and then changed back after the test?

Ubik 28 February 2005 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by IanW
The MOT only proves that the vehicle met all the regulations at the time that it was tested. It doesn't mean that it was/is fully legal to be on the road at all times. Look at how many de-catted Subarus are on the road, how many of those have a cat fitted just to get it through the MOT and then changed back after the test?

I know but if he takes the bike to the test centre and gets it MOT'd with the same plate he has always had surely the police dont have a leg to stand on.

Bravo2zero_sps 28 February 2005 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ubik
I know but if he takes the bike to the test centre and gets it MOT'd with the same plate he has always had surely the police dont have a leg to stand on.

Unfortunately more like i'd be dropping my MOT centre in the sh!t.

Jye 28 February 2005 04:45 PM

btw, if they just fine you without you being there, and they dont take a picture of said illegal plate, how can they PROVE it was illegal? I'd get a new 'legal' one made up sharpish Bob ;)

Jye 28 February 2005 04:46 PM

And of course if there is a photo, which I doubt, ask to see it :)

juicy1 28 February 2005 05:31 PM

Was B2Z aware that he had an illegal numberplate? If so, tough luck you had it coming. and if you weren't aware...(see previous sentence)

:D

Pay up you tight git!!

fatherpierre 28 February 2005 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
btw, if they just fine you without you being there, and they dont take a picture of said illegal plate, how can they PROVE it was illegal? I'd get a new 'legal' one made up sharpish Bob ;)

Do you not think that this area of cheating isn't expected/covered???

Jye 28 February 2005 06:23 PM

So what is the proof, excuse my ignorance.

Bottomfeeder 28 February 2005 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Contest it in court if you think your plate's legal.

Make sure you're 100% sure it's not before going though.......

:lol: OH Fcuk me, that's the funniest thing I have heard in ages :lol

NEWSFLASH.......

MOTORISTS IN MAGISTRATES COURTS ARE CONVICTED BEFORE THEY ARRIVE FOR 'THEIR DAY'

fatherpierre 28 February 2005 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bottomfeeder
:lol: OH Fcuk me, that's the funniest thing I have heard in ages :lol

NEWSFLASH.......

MOTORISTS IN MAGISTRATES COURTS ARE CONVICTED BEFORE THEY ARRIVE FOR 'THEIR DAY'

Not illegal ;).

And you mean funniest thing you've read;)

fatherpierre 28 February 2005 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jye
So what is the proof, excuse my ignorance.

That'll be the officer's word against the motorist's.

And lying in court is a bit naughty.....

Jye 28 February 2005 07:14 PM

Yeah, those coppers sure can tell a tall one ;) :D

screwdriver 28 February 2005 10:21 PM

That's an interesting point though. What exactly does it say on the charge sheet about the dodgy plate? Why can't you just change it and have it inspected. Turn up at court with a note from your "Number Plate Inspector" expert saying your plate conforms exactly to the required spec. What will the copper say next? That you must have changed it? Could he prove that?

I agree with the earlier comment that a rectification notice would have been the sensible way forwards. You are doomed with the missing tax disk though. Not "on display" not legal. No argument.

Screwd.

Felix. 28 February 2005 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
That'll be the officer's word against the motorist's.

And lying in court is a bit naughty.....

If there were two officers present, then its 2 against 1.

Its a fair point and the officers could have cosidered siezing the entire bike as evidence.

Bravo2zero_sps 28 February 2005 10:46 PM

The tax disc issue for bikers is a joke. All the times I have been stopped for a tax check with other bikes they have all done the same thing, get the tax disc out their wallet. Why? Because displaying it on your bike makes it easy for it to be nicked and each time it is you have to cough up £7 or whatebver it is now for a new one which I got fed up with doing. Secondly this time of year having your tax disc stuck to the side of your bike makes it get covered in snow/ice/grit/salt and god knows what else that gets sprayed inside the holder, oh and condesation so it gets totally ruined and unreadable anyway.

So keeping it in your wallet is the safest place as you can just produce it as soon as you are stopped. As for saying oh well if its parked and there is no tax how do we know you have tax, quite simple check with the DVLA. Innocent until proven guilty I think is the term that is used in Britain is it not?

All the police are interested in is raising as much cash as they possibly can by the easiest means possible, by targetting motorists for the most minor of offences. Fines are much more attractive than having to go after a vehicle with no MOT or insurance for example, that invovles paper work to go to court and prosecute and no quick cash.

Felix. 28 February 2005 11:04 PM

So vehicles with minor defects should not be checked and allowed to continue. Ever heard of (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) ANPR? How is this system suppose to work when you use non standard plates..!!??

The vehicle should have standard plates on, or it will fail a MOT. Therefore the plates have either been altered or swapped. This would therefore appear to be committing the offence at the onset and so is dealt with by a fine. Different to a light not working, which could have blown during the journey - this will get a defect form to have the fault put right.

As in another post, this operation would not use response personnel. They would use people such as Traffic, Fire arms officers, Support units - who cannot be classed as response in case they get tied up in a complex emergency call, domestic, missing from homes, suspicious people, fights, sudden deaths etc etc etc. Hence if a major fire arms job came in, these officers can drop things (such as giving out tickets to bikers) and go. This would be impossible if they were tied into an incident. I suggest that this is a good use of resources - allowing the response teams to respond to the jobs coming in

I don't see myself as a tax collector, i work on the response teams, rarely give out tickets to motorists, work 12 hour shifts and rarely get a meal break, work my socks off and often put my life on the line for the good of the community.

I suggest the legal process for dealing with crime and punishment needs to be addressed before anyone can have a go at the police service and its personnel.

By the way - the police gather evidence and put the case before a court. We have no say in the matter after that. Sometimes they will get let off other cases sometimes don't get past CPS. This has nothing to do with the police and some decisions annoy us as well.

If you have committed a minor traffic offence, you get a minor fine, no points - learn and move on.

Bravo2zero_sps 28 February 2005 11:13 PM

I've replied to the above on the other thread with the exact same post. Typing the same stuff out twice is not a good use of my resources ;)

Felix. 28 February 2005 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by **************
I've replied to the above on the other thread with the exact same post. Typing the same stuff out twice is not a good use of my resources ;)

no - but it gets the point across on both threads (and copy/paste takes seconds)

Bravo2zero_sps 28 February 2005 11:46 PM

Lighten up, the ;) was there for a reason :p My arguments arnt a personal dig at you, they are against the job you and your colleagues as policemen do. Like I said i've met plenty of good and bad coppers, I just feel this one that gave me the ticket was a complete ar$e, where as the copper that stops me to check my tax and has no issue with me keeping it in my wallet is sensible enough to use his discretion and realise me having the tax is the important bit, the fact its not stuck to the side of my bike is unimportant and only for anal jobsworths to kick off about.

Ninjagirl 28 February 2005 11:48 PM

Wrt the tax issue, when we did the KillDieselSpills rally at Westminster last year, i had no tax disc displayed as they'd tried to nick it a month earlier at work, and i made a point of asking Keith Thomson (i think his name was) the guy who was in charge of the bike cops there if it was an issue as long as i had it with me, and he said no, no issue at all. He was a good guy...

i haven't had a tax disc on for a year now and won't put it back on.

Felix. 01 March 2005 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by **************
Lighten up, the ;) was there for a reason :p My arguments arnt a personal dig at you, they are against the job you and your colleagues as policemen do.

And the changes you would make are........

Bravo2zero_sps 01 March 2005 12:32 AM

And the changes you would make are........
Number one would be to stop the revenue generation from being so blatantly obvious. If you want to have a purge on vehicles with possible defects, fine, do that, no one can complain about that as everyone wants safer roads but do it via road side stops where there is face to face communication of the offense and also the opportunity to use discretion on whats more serious and whats not instead of targetting unattended vehicles and leaving them nice little notes stuck on them. Mine wasn't even stuck on, it was sitting down the side of the fairing, if that had fallen off or blown away and I hadn't seen it no way would I have had a leg to stand on and no one at the station would have believed me, I would have ended up with another £20 on top of the original £40 for not paying it. That situation can't and doesn't occur if its face to face.

screwdriver 02 March 2005 12:31 AM

Have to agree with B2Z, not a dig at individual coppers per se, but a reaction at the idea of police officers sneaking around bike parks and doshing out niggling fines. What does it say to the biker concerned? Does anything positive come from this tactic? No!

The only thing that happens is that bikers get peed off at faceless discriminative nitpicking and of course, an easy revenue stream for the fuzz.

I have a microscopic no. plate on my Husky and if I get nicked - well fair's fair but I'll do it again (pix to follow). But you have to catch me first, like I say, creeping around car parks is cowardly and unsporting. No vehicle is inheirently dangerous (car bombs excepted) unless accompanied by a reckless/dangerous individual.

As for Tax disks, well the law states that the license needs to be clearly displayed and affixed to the vehicle. Buy a cheap holder (£1.99) superglue it together and bolt it securely to the bike. Never had any troub meself. Want a dodgy disk - any pub in E london or print your own... Anyone daft enough to try this risks jail. Same goes for nicked disks.

We are rapidly approaching the stage where you almost have to run a fake plate. After all only us legally insured/taxed and mechanically sound chappies will ever be "caught" by these snide and impersonal techniques. Chavs, Pikeys and ProperCrims running cloned or fake plates, driving stolen/ringed motors will never suffer any form of punishment if we follow the remote detection based on database route too far...

Screwd.

StickyMicky 02 March 2005 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by scoobchrissy
Just took my license in for doing 60 in a 50 :mad: but then again how many times have we got away with things :)

is that on that bridge in shefield?
the one with the road works?

StickyMicky 02 March 2005 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by screwdriver
Have to agree with B2Z, not a dig at individual coppers per se, but a reaction at the idea of police officers sneaking around bike parks and doshing out niggling fines. What does it say to the biker concerned? Does anything positive come from this tactic? No!

how are they supposed to do this job then, walk around with a brass band so everybody looks at them?

lets get real, if they were under cover and hideing in bushes, then they would have been sneaking around, if they pulled up on a bike or car or sumthing (helicopter :p ) and walked around normaly dishing out tickets, then its not quite the same as sneaking around is it

sounds to me the whole thing is on par with "cruiseing"

coppers turn up while lots of people are parked up haveing a laugh with there mates and dish out lots of fines/tickets for crap mods, strange how SN seams to change its views from "cruisers" and "bikers"

dont give me any bollocks about "cruisers" being more dangerous, ive seen sum ****en nutcase bikers at meets before, so i ould say its pretty even with the idiots brigade IMHO

few young uns whacking the handbrake on, against sum nutter standing on his petrol tank doing 30mph LOL

hell ive even seen one over take my car on the back wheel while i was doing an "decent" amount of speed