ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Long words (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/353574-long-words.html)

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:17 PM

Dunno but its foooocked up my page!! lol ;)

Faire D'Income 16 August 2004 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by the moose
Silly old me. I didn't realise that 70 people was a statistically significant sample, given a registered user goup of approximately 40,000. But then I'm just an old duffer who doesn't understand this sort of stuff.

I'll be off to find some long words then .......

Translation:

Oim fick. i dinna know wot 70 peeps was big nummas seeing as we got more than 40k Snetters. Cos i am an old git I dont know nuffink.

I is off to get sum big words.

:D

TelBoy 16 August 2004 12:19 PM

Is that aspirin, lightning101? :Suspiciou

tiggers 16 August 2004 12:20 PM

Maybe the words people use in these posts to which you refer are not long or unnecessary, it could just be that you're illiterate.

Just a thought ;)

lightning101 16 August 2004 12:21 PM

No its Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Strain.

Can't believe you did't get that one LOL

ProperCharlie 16 August 2004 12:22 PM

pmsl @ tiggers.

:D

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by tiggers
Maybe the words people use in these posts to which you refer are not long or unnecessary, it could just be that you're illiterate.

Just a thought ;)

Thanks for that!! ;)

They start off talking normally and when things get into major disagreement the big words come out of the woodwork. As though people sit and think of how they can try and baffle people into submission. I understand the words, just think its funny when they're used on a site primarily for the Subaru Impreza. lol.

Totalitarianism.

the moose 16 August 2004 12:23 PM

Just a thought ;)

We could have a poll on it!

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by the moose
We could have a poll on it!

Can't do that unless all 40'000 members vote or the poll becomes null and void. :rolleyes:

lightning101 16 August 2004 12:26 PM

Maybe you suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (fear of long words)

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
Maybe you suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (fear of long words)

Nope.

shamrock 16 August 2004 12:30 PM

Just a thought ;)

Tell me about it, I'm still putting the discussion from the 'california annuls gay marriages' through my little thesaurus to find out what the heated debate was all about. :)

Faire D'Income 16 August 2004 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Thanks for that!! ;)

They start off talking normally and when things get into major disagreement the big words come out of the woodwork. As though people sit and think of how they can try and baffle people into submission. I understand the words, just think its funny when they're used on a site primarily for the Subaru Impreza. lol.

Totalitarianism.

So, you'd prefer it if everyone dumbed down their use of English to the lowest common denominator to prove your theory about declining standards in the UK? Why get yourself all hot and bothered about it when you understand the point they are making? Surely it's far easier than having to decipher some of the posts on here due to typos/spelling and given that the average language has less than 1500 words that are regularly used by native speakers I'd have thought it was a good thing to "stretch" the use of English a little bit.

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by shamrock
Tell me about it, I'm still putting the discussion from the 'california annuls gay marriages' through my little thesaurus to find out what the heated debate was all about. :)

I never used unnecessary words on that thread, atleast I don't remember doing so. Others did though.

lightning101 16 August 2004 12:32 PM

I think my last post was: in context, necessary and I could find no good synonym to replace it.

TelBoy 16 August 2004 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by shamrock

Annulling gay marriages, fyi. :)

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
So, you'd prefer it if everyone dumbed down their use of English to the lowest common denominator to prove your theory about declining standards in the UK? Why get yourself all hot and bothered about it when you understand the point they are making? Surely it's far easier than having to decipher some of the posts on here due to typos/spelling and given that the average language has less than 1500 words that are regularly used by native speakers I'd have thought it was a good thing to "stretch" the use of English a little bit.

You get me all wrong. I'm not bothered about it, far from it. Its funny seeing somebody write normally then suddenly breaking out into Sir Patrick Moore mode in an attempt to sound clever. It is blatant!! It makes me laugh thats all......:(

Sorry I spoke, thread closed.

Faire D'Income 16 August 2004 12:36 PM

Give us an example then.

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
Give us an example then.

If you haven't noticed it then ok. I have, along with someone else on this thread. I'm not bothered as to go dredging through threads. This thread was meant as a bit of fun, not another "prove it" type thing.

Dazza01 16 August 2004 12:56 PM

Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious = fear of men dressed in black with bent nose and bearing ice cream as gifts :eek::eek:

or Childcatcher for short:eek:

minor_threat 16 August 2004 01:03 PM

The longest word I have been taught is "floccinaucinihilipilification" and this is the first time I've ever used it! Longer words have since been created (mainly by the chemical/pharmaceutical industry to describe pestilent substances which they obviously do not want the general public to discuss!). I don't see anything inherently wrong with using a word if it's in the dictionary, that is why it is there!

However, I think the people who use increasingly complex language to win an argument or make themselves appear more intelligent are tossers. The intelligence lies in adapting your language to suit your audience - alienating the majority of them is not a very intelligent thing to do.

I studied English literature at university but don't even use half of the vocabulary I've picked up along the way. There's no point in using it if most people are not going to understand it, I might as well speak Latin or communicate via sign language (difficult to do on SN). I know a few people who consciously attempt to use long words in conversation, in my opinion this doesn't make them intelligent, it severely limits their efforts to communicate with people.

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by minor_threat
The longest word I have been taught is "floccinaucinihilipilification" and this is the first time I've ever used it! Longer words have since been created (mainly by the chemical/pharmaceutical industry to describe pestilent substances which they obviously do not want the general public to discuss!). I don't see anything inherently wrong with using a word if it's in the dictionary, that is why it is there!

However, I think the people who use increasingly complex language to win an argument or make themselves appear more intelligent are tossers. The intelligence lies in adapting your language to suit your audience - alienating the majority of them is not a very intelligent thing to do.

I studied English literature at university but don't even use half of the vocabulary I've picked up along the way. There's no point in using it if most people are not going to understand it, I might as well speak Latin or communicate via sign language (difficult to do on SN). I know a few people who consciously attempt to use long words in conversation, in my opinion this doesn't make them intelligent, it severely limits their efforts to communicate with people.

Quality post!!! :D

scunnered 16 August 2004 01:09 PM

The way I see it;
As a result of an on the spot investigative study of the social, environmental, and geognostic ancilliary factors, it is my considered conclusion that due to a veritable volley of verbal voracity, I sometimes don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by scunnered
The way I see it;
As a result of an on the spot investigative study of the social, environmental, and geognostic ancilliary factors, it is my considered conclusion that due to a veritable volley of verbal voracity, I sometimes don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Sounds like some people on here, difference is, you're joking. ;)

tiggers 16 August 2004 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by minor_threat
The intelligence lies in adapting your language to suit your audience - alienating the majority of them is not a very intelligent thing to do.

Ah yes, but maybe you want to filter stupid people out of your audience ;)

Drunken Bungle Whore 16 August 2004 01:16 PM

Never mind long English words - you may as well write in Greek or Latin or even Martian. All that happens is your words get twisted around, someone misquotes you and everyone else picks one line out of context and launches in....

Senior_AP 16 August 2004 01:17 PM

Ah yes, but maybe you want to filter stupid people out of your audience ;)

On SN thats not too difficult.

EddScott 16 August 2004 01:18 PM

Crocodile

ProperCharlie 16 August 2004 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle Whore
Never mind long English words - you may as well write in Greek or Latin or even Martian. All that happens is your words get twisted around, someone misquotes you and everyone else picks one line out of context and launches in....

eh? what does that mean in english? :confused:

davyboy 16 August 2004 01:28 PM

I see an awful lot of adoxography and autohagiographer in this thread.

By using long words I think generally people are trying to score a recumbentibus.

Due to my grapholagnia I have got to go!