ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Arcade games.... whats your favorite (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/320347-arcade-games-whats-your-favorite.html)

Marky-San 19 April 2004 09:42 AM

Mine was Full throttle.

I preferred adventure games though - like The Hobbit, Gremlins and the rest.

StickyMicky 19 April 2004 09:46 AM

i rember freddy hardest

i have just about every single game mentiond ont his thread so far lol
you people should look into MAME arcade emulator and get yourself sum ROMS

it really is just like playing the real thing, especialy (sp) when you buy a controller such as this to play them with

www.xgaming.co.uk
http://www.xgaming.co.uk/images/newi...twoplayer1.jpg

StickyMicky 19 April 2004 09:48 AM

MAME32

http://www.xgaming.co.uk/images/mame32s.jpg

i have 3500 mame roms on 8 cdr`s, i was up to date a few years back but im probably at about 95% now as every release has another rom or 10 supported for it

cactus jim 19 April 2004 10:30 AM

mine would be

afterburner, out run, paperboy, and of course the best shoot em up ever.......R TYPE!!!!

i think my entire childhood was (mis)spent learning how to defeat these games.

space harrier needs a mention too!!!

cactus jim 19 April 2004 10:37 AM

sorry i missed the second page.

come someone explain what MAME is and ROM?

i keep downloading them on my ipaq, but are not sure what to do with them.

i have an arcade shell i was going to turn into a MAME emulator, however it all looks very complicated on the software side? is it?

StickyMicky 19 April 2004 12:04 PM

mate i was going todo the same project, allthough im collecting parts very slowley

the reason why i bought the xgaming controler is its allready config`d to work with a pc, and it uses real arcade buttons and such, which gets rid of a massive part of the MAME/cabinet instalation

MAME is a arcade machine emulator, a ROM is a snap shot of a arcade games pcb, which basicaly is the program contained on the arcade board

Loading roms is the same as swapping an arcade game machines pcb

TonyG 19 April 2004 12:37 PM

Waaaaay back then...

Space Invaders
Asteroids
Galaxians
Gorf
Phoenix

Now...
Sega Rally (I and II)

TonyG 19 April 2004 12:39 PM

Oh, and completely forgot about Double Dragon...

mart360 19 April 2004 12:54 PM

missile command bloody near on impossible from level 7 on (white or purple screen i remember)

and marble madness,, has anyone ever got past the second or third level???

tron lightcycles.... well hard.... could never work out the discs one though...

i used to know a mate who could complete dragons lair on 1 10p

i could never get parts the intro......

funny no space invaders mentioned as yet???

what about tempest that was cool

Mart

Danbo 19 April 2004 12:57 PM

Hard Drivin............

Loved the fact you had to use a clutch and gears like in a real car.

Brendan Hughes 19 April 2004 01:14 PM

Thanks to BlowDog for reminding me of Narc, always loved the way the guys jumped out of the car at the start!

Otherwise OutRun, AfterBurner (a bit), Double Dragon, Defender, and Battle Zone (which no-one has mentioned here before - am I THAT old?)

StickyMicky 19 April 2004 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Danbo
Hard Drivin............

Loved the fact you had to use a clutch and gears like in a real car.

even tho, looking back, it wasnt actualy anything like a real car was it lol

Butkus 19 April 2004 01:52 PM

There was a game I used to play around 1986. It was a driving game, that had 4 steering wheels for four players, and you viewed the track from above, as in you could see the whole circuit. I can't remember what it was called. Anyone know?

I also used to like Paperboy a lot.

Riprock 19 April 2004 02:10 PM

R-type
Donkey Kong(cant believe no one has mentioned that yet ;) )
Outrun
Galaxians
Moon Cresta
Robocop
Star Blade(come in geo-sword :) )
Scramble
Zaxxon
Popeye
Hunchback

to name but a few ;)

Computer/console games wise....

C64

Paradroid(work of genius....where is any braybrook these days? :( )
Wizball(C64 version onlly of course....amazing...and that music :) )
Summer games 2
Cybernoid
Delta(Fabulous rob hubbard soundtrack inspired by philip glass)
Delta 2:Armalyte(great 2 player mode :) )
Forbidden Forest (the orignal video game nasty ;) )

Mega Drive

Streets of rage
Thunderforce 3

Snes

Super mario world
Zelda:link to the past
Street fighter 2(much preferred it compared to arcade...found it easier with joypad :) )
F-zero

PC

Doom 1 and 2(3 looks like itll need a graphics card on a par with that which rendered Gollum in the LOTR movies :( )
Duke Nukem(BLOW IT OUT YA ASS!!!! :)......wonder when DN forever will be out...... :rolleyes: )
Quake
QUAKE 2!!!(the daddy ;)......hmmmmm railgun ;) )
Half life(ohhh looking forward to number 2 ;) )
Tie Fighter(Played this LOADS ;) )
Sam and Max
Day of the tentacle
Monkey island 1
Dark forces 2:Jedi knight
Medal Of Honour(That beach landing was inspired :) )
Call of Duty(medal of honour with knobs on :) )

Im sure there many more......but i think that was more than enough ;)

Yours

Dash

Bobby Peru 19 April 2004 02:11 PM

Tron @ Space Harrier.

StickyMicky 19 April 2004 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Butkus
There was a game I used to play around 1986. It was a driving game, that had 4 steering wheels for four players, and you viewed the track from above, as in you could see the whole circuit. I can't remember what it was called. Anyone know?

super sprint ;)

Blow Dog 19 April 2004 02:39 PM

Ah yes, Robocop - what a hoot!

Anyway, chap above is trying to remember Super Sprint I believe.

Cem

geldy 19 April 2004 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
missile command bloody near on impossible from level 7 on (white or purple screen i remember)

funny no space invaders mentioned as yet???

Mart

orig space invaders score only had 4 digits, so it was fun to go round the clock

missile command has to be "the game" of that era - earned myself a few bob playing that one - and those high level colour schemes were way weird :cool:

beemerboy 19 April 2004 04:33 PM

gotta admit, i used to blow a fair few 50p's on outrun, back in the mid-late eighties, down saaarfend seafront.
the proper one where the car moved, and sterring wheel used to overwind your watch when you stacked it.
Oh, the elbow on the side bit, single handedly navigating the twisties. with the stereo soundtrack eminating acroos numerous doughnut stands nearby...
the smell of fags, real ale and chips as you reach for yet another pound coin. (3 credits)

got the game on the xbox now and its not the same at all.
infact it complete pants...

BB:)

Granby 19 April 2004 04:44 PM

Chase HQ, had a mate who never played arcade games until he tried Chase HQ - you never get him off the machine and he was good in the end, should be the amount it cost him ha ha ha (sorry steve)

GaryK 19 April 2004 04:48 PM

rip,

agreed paradroid is awesome as is uridium, with you on wizball although I played it to death on the atari ST, guess they are probably pretty similar. There is a site somewhere that says what all the original graftgold members (inc. andy braybrook) are upto these days

gary

mart360 19 April 2004 04:50 PM

Battle zone,,, 3d wireframe tanks..... cooooool

remember the sythesised music when you got a high score not mutch, but way impressive back then....

donkey kong... remeber the jump out loop on the first screen...

and then there was kangaroo... that was bloody hard too

remember dont shoot the food!!!!

keep em comming

Mart

beemerboy 19 April 2004 04:52 PM

"boot hill", now theres a classic.

2 cowboys, and cactuses and stagecoaches to hide behind. lol.

giving my age away now, better stop....

BB:)

Riprock 19 April 2004 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by mart360
Battle zone,,, 3d wireframe tanks..... cooooool

remember the sythesised music when you got a high score not mutch, but way impressive back then....

donkey kong... remeber the jump out loop on the first screen...

and then there was kangaroo... that was bloody hard too

remember dont shoot the food!!!!

keep em comming

Mart

Mart,your damn right i remember the jump from the first screen :) .....it works on mame....jumps you to 3rd level ;).Although i think it was only BOOTLEG versions that allowed you to do it,cant get the trick to work on the official nintendo DK :(.

Garyk,while i expect the ST version to look nicer id be surprised if it scrolled aswell as the 64 version.....ST tended to struggle with horizontal scrolling :).However without even hearing it,i can assure you the 64 version had some VERY memorable music ;).Actually,any version of it is worth praiseing.....im just biased of the 64 version ;).

Yours

Dash

Whoops......talking about WIZBALL in that last paragraph btw ;)

jbryant 19 April 2004 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Butkus

I've already mentioned it - I think you may be referring to "Hot Rod" 1988 tabletop version, although you cannot see the whole track at once you can see a large part of it, and anyone that 'falls off the bottom of the screen' gets dragged up with a time penalty...

Battlezone <aaahhh memories>

Olly 19 April 2004 09:42 PM

2 player Space Invaders on the table top version, peering through a beer stained screen...

Hard Drivin' was great: lift-off oversteer on the limit, genuine feedback, double de-clutching and then you meet a tipper wagon head-on coming the other way.

Continental Circus anyone? The one with the late '80's Lotus GP car? Sideways moments in the rain, amusing pit stops, 3D graphics and exploding GP cars.

EddScott 19 April 2004 09:51 PM

Anyone played Initial D racing arcade game?

Absolutely top driving game. If you've seen the arcade its based on a Japanese Animie about street racers who are well into their drift! The talking scenes are all animation but the racing is CGI.

The feeling of the arcade is great and after a couple of attempts you can have the STI V6 Type RA in the most beautiful drifts (it actually specifies type rather than just "Impreza"). I've only played it a few times but have bought the PS2 import version which apparently is just like the arcade.

If you see it play it!

G00ner 19 April 2004 10:18 PM

Not 56k friendly.

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~swells/Image033.jpg
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~swells/Image039.jpg
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~swells/Image042.jpg
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~swells/Image053.jpg

A few from my collection. :D

FASTER MIKE!! 19 April 2004 10:54 PM

operation wolf and thunderbolt :cool: also afterburner r360 remember playing that in blackpool in the early 90's. out run was good. chase hq 2 sci used to like that.

kicked 20 April 2004 12:02 AM

I remember having a commodore +4 which was a commodore16 with 64k mem and there were 2 games that i'll always treasure, fire ant and icicle works! then the snes blew those 2 games with donkey kong country which was the most adictive game ever!! the oldest arcade game i remember playing was tron down the leisure centre! also ping pong and combat on the atari console was awesome too!!!!