ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   when is the sti 9 due out (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/290172-when-is-the-sti-9-due-out.html)

AJbaseBloke 14 January 2004 01:52 PM

I can't vouch for the GDBB being quicker than the GDBA, but the GDBC is (rather obviously) another level up with basically a new engine and drivetrain. However, even within the GDB B version the later "Limited" was quicker, and IIRC had a different ECU and slightly revised exhaust too.

The "GL" marker is for the options on the model with DCCD-A, HIDs, and UV cutting glass. Bob is right, there is a "standard" GDBC model that does not get the DCCD-A (and has RE040s and 15:1 steering). That being said you can option a GDBC to have DCCD-A and an audio system which is the GS. And then there is the IL, which has no audio, but gets DCCD-A and forged BBS rims.

*DCCD-A models also get 13:1 steering and 070s, whereas the std STi misses out on the lot.

Oops, and I guess we may be up to GDBD by now;)

HTH

[Edited by AJbaseBloke - 1/14/2004 1:54:56 PM]

greasemonkey 14 January 2004 02:01 PM

Well if it makes everyone happy and helps differentiate between models then why not
:rolleyes: It clearly doesn't make everyone happy, and the big problem is that it now clearly doesn't help differentiate between models. This thread is a perfect example of the way different people refer to the same cars by different numbers, or different cars by the same numbers, so instead of making things easier, it just causes confusion.

Your disagreement with RON is a shining example of the differences in interpretation of this "number" system. Neither of you is "right", so why are you taking issue with him? Here's another one:

No the 9 is the same shape as our 8, but with a different engine
Who says? Please find something official that says "our" MY03 STi is an "8". Also, what, exactly, is an "STi9"? Are you referring to an MY03 JDM STi DX, or a GL, or something else?

Furthermore, if you refer to the MY03 STi Type UK as an "8", what is the MY04 version? Is that a "9", or should it also be called an "8" too? Who's keeping score on all these numbers?

The underlying point I was making is that the "number" system has now outlived its usefulness, given that Subaru haven't used it themselves for four years, and that it's now been twisted and misinterpreted to the point where it means nothing and causes more confusion than it solves.

The only market where it still has any relevance is Japan, and trying to fit the fundamentally different UK/Euro and US cars into it is a pointless exercise.

Would be far less confusing all round nowadays if folk just used the model year and the market instead of these silly numbers.

S.B. 14 January 2004 02:31 PM

All a bit of a fuss about nothing :)