ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   If you were building a cheap 1/4 mile car, what base car would you use? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/260093-if-you-were-building-a-cheap-1-4-mile-car-what-base-car-would-you-use.html)

Andy Tang 15 October 2003 09:40 AM

Cheers guys, lots of things for him to mull over!

He's also looking at RA's at the moment!!!

andygtir 15 October 2003 09:42 AM

er hasn't everyone overlooked the obvious- get a pulsar??? theres not much else on the road that'll match its bang per buck. 300bhp is achieved relatively easily.

they launch like nothing else- just rocket off the line and a relatively standard car with just breathing mods can pull low 13's.

if you want to beat a pulsar get another one!

Andy Tang 15 October 2003 09:54 AM

I'm sure you know what it's like:

I bought Subaru, so my mate can't!!
If he bought an S3, I can't have one!!

You get the idea!! ;)

Anyway, he wants to beat his cousin with something different!! :)

bobfrog1 15 October 2003 10:14 AM

Andy, there is a 200sx in this country that does a 12.5 1/4 but it has nearly 500bhp which would cost mega bucks to acheive!

If you want some ideas then go to the pod on a RWYB day, you'll see whats quick and whats not :)

Cosworth427 15 October 2003 01:04 PM

Why not a MK3 Supra Turbo from 1989 onwards?

You can pick one in good shape from a grand if you haggle well, or 1500 - 2000 for the more well looked after ones. They are fully loaded with air con, power leather seats, etc and weighs only 1540 KG in manual spec.

The 3.0 7M-GTE with stock turbo can be boosted to 350 - 400 BHP, and the motor can easily hold 500 + HP with stock head and block. I'll give you an example of the parts:

Stainless steel exhaust system, 3 inch pipe diameter, both cats removed, replaces stock downpipe connects to back of stock turbo £350 - £450

1.2mm HKS Metal Headgasket - £150

Manual boost controller - £50 - £100+

Lexus LS400 Airflow meter (replica) - £200 (genuine) - £500

Adjustable air pressure regulator - £100

Walbro fuel pump - £110

K&N FIPK Air induction kit - £150

Typical power gains. Stock 232 HP - With upgrades 350+ HP @ 14 PSi boost on stock turbo.

Total price average total price of £3000 including car.

Need 500 - 600 HP?

All of the above modifications required, plus..

T04 60 trim Turbo kit - £1100
RC Engineering 550 cc injectors - £450
Cartech Intercooler - £450 - 500

Total price £5000 including car.

skiddus_markus 15 October 2003 05:24 PM

Mazda 323 GTX/GTR.Massive tuning potential but you'll have to hunt for the parts.

Higgs 15 October 2003 06:23 PM

how about a nissan 300zx tt nearly 300bhp as standerd and can b had 4 as low 3.5 to 4k still leaves plenty of cash 4 mods or a skyline r33 gts turbo altho one of these is going 2 cost all of yer money

AllanB 15 October 2003 07:13 PM

Sensible: Legacy turbo ?

Stupid: Charade GTti. Friend of mine has one that does high 11s. 0-60 4.1 seconds.

Change turbo so hybrid using Isuzu Trooper compressor wheel in the Isuzu housing too or got the RHB5 for the Mazda 323 GTX. Replace the standard horrible downpipe with the Camskill or MRT rally downpipe. Junk the exhuast for a Scorpion and get the midbox cut out or get a system made up. 2.25" minimum ideally 2.5". Change the factory airbox to an induction kit like ITG kit or make one. Runs on MAP sensors so no MAF worries. Change the breather to a catch tank and upgrade the plugs to at least one heat range up.

Change the throttle body to the 52mm RS turbo or go for the Toyota Cressida which uses the same TPS. Front mount the intercooler and possibly look at getting a larger intercooler. Mounting it to the left hand side of the engine bay. The radiotor may need to be changed if temps are gettign too high or run Water Wetter in the coolant .These mods will keep the inlet temp down.

Change the head gasket for a 2mm copper gasket.

Change the clutch for the Camskill paddle clutch or go for a full race kit from Jim Berry in Austrailia or get one from MRT or Rospen.

If you want to keep going go for the Rospen high lift cams and unbreakable gear set.

You may need to change the coil for a higher spec one.

Finally up the boost , change to a 2bar map sensor and fit an Omex ECU and get it mapped or if you want the ultimate go for the Motec MT8 and run one coil pack per cylinder using the coil packs from the Audi TT. You can get a standard car to run aroun 150bhp with the Omex ECU and no other major mods.

You could do this for 6K including buying the car.

A friend of mine has 2 Charades both over 200bhp out of one litre. One is a sprint car and weighs around 450kilos with 230+bhp. The other is a Spyder and runs Motec with antilag etc and when its remapped will have 260bhp. I've been in the Sypder and its terrifying !

AllanB

J4CKO 15 October 2003 08:50 PM

Honda Fireblade ?

Gary VR6 15 October 2003 09:31 PM

Daewoo Matiz? Much under-rated.

Carl2 15 October 2003 10:36 PM

sierra xr4x4 (cos it's cheaper than a cossie) with a rover v8 in it (cos they're cheap too) and a couple of turbos, nitrous, etc ;)

marty_t3 15 October 2003 11:38 PM

Before you talk him into a 200sx for a drag car i'd suggest you have a search on SXOC for 1/4 mile times.... they ain't really all that great. They can hold their own but if you want to build something for just the 1/4 mile then a 200 isn't the best place to start.

[Edited by marty_t3 - 10/15/2003 11:40:08 PM]

TVR Gary 16 October 2003 12:16 AM

To be honest it has to be quite a car to be running 12 second quarter miles. There werent that many of them doing it at the pod on Sunday. I think I saw a GTiR do it ... a couple of scoobs, a few Skylines, a westy, that nova beast and maybe a couple of others. I dont reckon many of them cost just £6K.
You need alot of power to do it and as they say it may be easy to get into 14 second territory but then it costs alot per tenth you knock off from there on in

Andy Tang 16 October 2003 12:33 AM

As I said before:

The base car will cost about £6k, modifications will be additional to this!!

I would not expect a 13 second car for £6k!!!

His cousin has a Pulsar, with the de-cat, increased capacity and turbo, it does the pod in 13 seconds dead. Looking at the work, etc on the car, the car owes him about £10k total.

We are not talking about a giant killing car, we are talking about building a car that will crack 13 seconds for around £10k!! I don't think we are asking a lot!!!

The problem with any high powered RWD or FWD car will be traction.

I would be surprised to read that 200SX's have a hard time cracking 13 seconds when they've had £4-5k spend on modifications!!!

Higgs 16 October 2003 02:20 AM

if its got to b 4wd and u cant have an impreza or a pulsar and u want 2 crack 12 secs all your really left with is a 4 b 4 cossie or a early evo or maybe a old audi quatro i know they were pretty fast out of the box but i dont know how tuneable they are

avonvilla 16 October 2003 02:38 AM

The Audi S2 can be got for around that, 230bhp and a six speed plus all the toys. The engine is bullet proof and tuneable, 400 plus would be easy enough.

TVR Gary 16 October 2003 09:01 AM

Gotta be a pulsar I reckon ..... only coz the initial outlay is less than the scoob or Evo

Andy Tang 16 October 2003 09:17 AM

I've read on a seperate thread about 2.0l Corsa/Nova's that they can break 13 seconds!

I don't think we should get hung up on what drivetrain it has.

If it needed to be 4WD then I would say Pulsar, Scooby, Cossies, Mazda 232, etc. (Although I would forget about Evo and Skylines!!)

There are plenty of RWD cars that can break 13 seconds!! ;) Even lightly modified ones, although it might only be in the dry!!! :)

[Edited by Andy Tang - 10/16/2003 9:18:12 AM]

Cosworth427 16 October 2003 10:15 AM

================================================== ================
As I said before:

The base car will cost about £6k, modifications will be additional to this!!

I would not expect a 13 second car for £6k!!!

His cousin has a Pulsar, with the de-cat, increased capacity and turbo, it does the pod in 13 seconds dead. Looking at the work, etc on the car, the car owes him about £10k total.

We are not talking about a giant killing car, we are talking about building a car that will crack 13 seconds for around £10k!! I don't think we are asking a lot!!!

The problem with any high powered RWD or FWD car will be traction.

I would be surprised to read that 200SX's have a hard time cracking 13 seconds when they've had £4-5k spend on modifications!!!
================================================== =================

I already said to you earlier, a nice MK3 Supra Turbo can be modified and upgraded to hit mid 12 seconds at the quarter mile for around 5K including the car. It is fully loaded and reasonably easy to drive on the road, (since you require a daily driver too right??).

A daily driver with 500+ BHP, no interior stripping, no expensive engine transplants, it's just simple bolt on upgrades and all well within your budget.

ALi-B 16 October 2003 10:49 AM

IN addition to what I said before...Nissan 300ZX Turbo - a standard US spec version will do it in 13.9sec. And as mentioned before Supra Turbo..post '93 are fastest on the 1/4 (about 13.5)

Andy Tang 16 October 2003 11:09 AM

Thanks again for all the sugestions.

It's really down to the guy who is actually looking at getting the car to mull over everything here!!

The Supra is a fantastic idea!! :)

ALi-B 16 October 2003 11:30 AM

A 10 second cortina! :eek:

http://www.john-sleath.com/cortina/john3.jpg

nisr227 16 October 2003 05:26 PM

Andy,

as another andy has said, there isn't much around for £6k money that will launch and cover the 1/4mile as fast as a Pulsar IF THEY ARE DRIVEN AS HARD AS POSSIBLE, why doesn't he just buy one instead.

And 13sec dead for a 2.1 Pulsar with big turbo and if its had £10k spent on it is SLOW!....if he launched it really hard he should be far faster than that! I've had a 12.78run with 1bar, top mount, uncihip and a few other basic mods. I know many people who have cracked into the 12s using more basic mods, but they are at risk of braking their transmission. In fact I know of two people who have got 12.5 secs at Santapod running 1.2bar and they still had their top mount intercooler with standard internals and box etc.

The limiting factor for a pulsar owner is looking after the transmission with hard launching and changing gear, so buy one for £6k and then uprate the box and your laughing, then it will be reliable for regular 1/4mile times fully thrashed.

We had two pulsars running 12.1sec and another 12.2sec at the weekend at the pod. One of them with a terminal of 124mph who has previously run 11.5secs at 125mph there as well. Most of the fast ones weren't there.

Carl2 16 October 2003 07:30 PM

Buy a £4k Gtir and you'd have a 12s car for under £6k ;)
Why waste money on anything else :p

the chosen one 16 October 2003 08:48 PM

could pick up a good RX7 twin turbo nowadays in the autotrader for about 5.5k:D:D:D

R1916v 16 October 2003 09:36 PM

theres an old shape rx7 round here for sale....with a rover V8 in it lol :)

the chosen one 16 October 2003 09:49 PM

how about a RX7 twin turbo you can pick those up nowadays in the autotrader for about 5.5k, but if reliability and maintanence is a issue then how about a Honda civic vti? big turbo conversion 300bhp:D