ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Grand Designs - CH4 now.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/184413-grand-designs-ch4-now.html)

MarkCSC 06 March 2003 12:47 PM

I think I must be the only person who doesn't like it. Yeah it looked cool, yeah it had a lot of space but could you really live there?
It didn't feel like a "home" more like an art gallery.
Stunning but not really my cup of tea.

Mark

PS though he must work for BT (missed the begining) I used to work with people just like him. ;)

MJW 06 March 2003 12:55 PM

I saw the barn conversion but wasn't that impressed with it - as stated above, it wasn't very 'homely'. And as for the architect - f**ks off for three months then comes back to claim all the glory, typical 10%er. The majority of architects don't know their arses from holes in the ground, and it's only via the knowledge of the subbies that buildings ever get done.

Mossman 06 March 2003 01:04 PM

Yep, I was not impressed with the architect. Would not have been happy with that at all.

Popeye, I did see the other programme and yes, it was also superb, done by themselves and at considerably less cost. BUT so what? Each to their own. If you can afford it, why get your hands dirty? I certainly would not (I am a total DIY luddite - but have not got the inclination or time to get better at present).

As to the cost, as a few people have pointed out, it was good value in that area of the country and is an investment. I now live in the NE near Hull and I would agree, the property would be considerably less! One day!!! :)

Mossman

RON 03 May 2003 10:18 PM

UB, You should get a life................ well maybe I should too, cos all I seem to do is work on the house and watch programs like that, I decided that it was way too modern for me, in my opinion they ruined the barn, they should have made it more rustic, besides that, 450k is a HUGE wad, and thats without what the barn was worth b4 they started!!
New build is good, apart from the fact that you have to comply with more building regs than if you're renovating.
Ron.

[Edited by RON - 3/5/2003 10:19:10 PM]

Popeye P1 03 May 2003 11:22 PM

'Simply stunning. Gorgeous. Breathtaking in fact. What a fantastic place and it works so well. I would LOVE a place like that and to be honest, it's what I'm really aiming for - a place in the country, with character but blended with a modern touch. I loved the walkway, kitchen and bathrooms especially. The open space was mmmmm... superb.'

LOL mossman you sound like that stuck up tart who does the wine tasting on BBC2. How many people have 450 grand to spend renovating a property and do none of the work themselves then give themselves a bit pat on the back for it??? well???

At Least the waterwork couple did the hard graft themselves and didn't inherit daddy's personal fortune.

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 3/5/2003 11:24:53 PM]