ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Turbo, headers and limit of EJ20 Engine?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/180510-turbo-headers-and-limit-of-ej20-engine.html)

Andy.F 25 February 2003 02:24 PM

I think when power figures are backed up by 1/4 mile terminals and the cars acceleration compares very favourably to a known entity such as 996/Cerbera etc.........then they are more likely to be accepted as genuine :)

john banks 25 February 2003 03:05 PM

Does scalping an Evo 7 RC Stage 4 "440 BHP" count ;) Probably not ;)

And is the 996 the bike :eek: or the car :boring: ;)

[Edited by john banks - 2/25/2003 3:06:33 PM]

Andy.F 25 February 2003 04:14 PM

Only if the EVO driver was trying ;):D

MorayMackenzie 25 February 2003 04:40 PM

Guys,

Maybe those contributers who choose to share their figures with us in the left margin could be so good as to include the source of the figures alnogside, so the reader might have a better chance of comparing apples with at least another flavour of apple, if you see what I mean. :)

It would be good to know which figures came from, for example, Well-Lane or Power Engineering and which figures came from DIY accelerometer integration type devices, or delta dash estimators etc.

If you are proud enough of your figures that you are happy to display them in all your posts, I am sure displaying the source of those figures is not going to be an issue at all. :)

In fact, why not quote the source whenever you discuss figures, that will be a big help with regards to choosing which figures can be compared with which, or not.

Moray

[Edited by MorayMackenzie - 2/25/2003 4:42:40 PM]

john banks 25 February 2003 04:45 PM

LOL at you all :D

Andy.F 25 February 2003 04:47 PM

Sadly there are only two lines of text available and I've used both of them !
My figures are from Well Lane, I was going to post my AP22 figures of 375 paw but who would believe me :D

Good point though Moray :)

john banks 25 February 2003 05:04 PM

And I thought my 320 PAW was taking the p!$$ ;) :p

R19KET 25 February 2003 05:22 PM

John,

So use the 258BHP ATW's measured at Star :p ;)

I waiting for the day you guys get better figures on the RR, and then start questioning the AP22, and Delta Dash road dyno !!!

I wish I had some power ATW's :(

Mark

john banks 25 February 2003 05:23 PM

Well for some PAW stop driving a Honda (if that is what a little bird told me ;) ) and get your Subaru engine back on the road rather than building everyone else and helping them to pass you at the next track day :p

You know what would be funny us grenade tuning guys ;) who don't use our Scoobies every day anymore because we are always tinkering with them.... how about a race of our daily drivers ;) Kind of gentlemen's banger racing LOL.

I am driving a very squishy 406 3.0 V6 at present, and I still harrass WRX's with it, very funny indeed :D

[Edited by john banks - 2/25/2003 5:25:07 PM]

[Edited by john banks - 2/25/2003 5:27:18 PM]

ChristianR 25 February 2003 06:11 PM

I drive my car everyday :)

john banks 25 February 2003 06:15 PM

Will 1st gear get you nicked on Jersey or do you have to be in 2nd?

R19KET 25 February 2003 06:38 PM

John, don't you have a go at the Honda, it's quiet, comfortable, and economical'ish........besides, I'll use the Caterham :p .......... when it gets warmer !!!

Every time I think I'm getting close, some bugger comes along, and mine gets put aside again.......

However, it's getting close :D need to book the bench dyno soon.

Mark.

[Edited by R19KET - 2/25/2003 6:40:21 PM]

Claudius 25 February 2003 10:56 PM

Subarus are more difficult to get serious power out of than Evos. I should know, I have one of each :) (an Evo and a scooby, not serious power). I was told that the sumps on the EJ20 open up at around 350 - 380 bhp. Appearently there are lots more parts to uprate than on a 4G63. I like the scooby because it's discreet, cheap, safe and relatively performant (very performant for the money). But if you want a mean machine for the ROAD then it's gotta be an Evo. For track use, there are much lighter cars with several bikes engines or turboed 4 cyls, etc. Just my opinion, no offence intended.

john banks 25 February 2003 11:24 PM

Most people suggest you go internal in the 370-400 BHP range on both cars though?

Evos seem to suffer with their gearboxes as well as Scoobies from what I have seen. I suppose they do come with a good turbo, FMIC and handling out the box, but at the 400 BHP+ level you end up changing most things on both cars anyway?

The original plan was when I started breaking things on the Scooby I would get an Evo and play with that, but the price of replacing things when they break on a Scooby is considerably cheaper and the availability is much greater. I can walk into a local aftermarket retailer and find they have all manner of spares just sitting at good money - example pick up a 2.0 closed deck and a 2.5 open deck motor for £500 total, makes a nice stroker option. Gearboxes can be had from breakers for about £500. There is now a good synchro kit for under £2k. ECUs change hands for £75, in fact some bits are cheaper than they are for normal cars because there is a nice developing enthusiast market in the UK. Things have never been so good IMHO.

I love Evos, don't get me wrong, but the bubble burst when I realised that people that had "graduated" from Scoobies to Evos were having all the same issues again, maybe 50 BHP later ;)

Trout 25 February 2003 11:45 PM

Starts polishing Beemer - but then remembers that Mark has Caterham - starts tuning Beemer - realises back at square one ;)

Rannoch :D

Claudius 25 February 2003 11:51 PM

Tel me about it, John, my Evo has cost me a fortune already! It's pretty good right now, body is done, suspension done, engine done from the reliability point of view, just need to choose a turbo but dont know how to...

Tim W 25 February 2003 11:58 PM

David, simple answer...don't tune the BM...offer the money to Mark for the Caterham ;) two birds, one stone :D

Waaaay of topic now :rolleyes:

Still, Steve, are you confused yet, or decided on what your going to do...buy a Caterham :p

S,M,G 26 February 2003 12:14 AM

Evo,s arnt perfect
Press fit pistons, balance shafts.
Steve;)

Deep Singh 26 February 2003 10:02 AM

I love Evos and will probably own one next.But as John said most Evo tuners I spoke to highly recommended 'going internal' over about 350 BHP.Also remember though the Evo as std comes with some better goodies its also more expensive.When I bought my second hand JDM ST17 an Evo7 of the same age/quality was about £5k more.Before the recent price cuts dealers were still selling my00 Evo6s for above £20k and STI5s about £12.2-£14k.

C 26 February 2003 12:44 PM

Steve,

Im counting on you to make mine a "little" better than average then ;) (evo that is) :p

Chris

S,M,G 26 February 2003 06:02 PM

Of course;)

C 26 February 2003 06:42 PM

:D;)

steve McCulloch 27 February 2003 11:23 AM

I think I'll continue to burn money.....

Never been in a Caterham... then again I'm probably too big to get in, like the Girly Lotus Elise..

Perhaps I should concentrate on losing weight.. that may be the cheapest way to boost power to weight ratio...

Think I'll live with between 450-500 bhp just for realiability's sake... should'nt be too slow..

Always thought about the Evo.. but now I have one as well....and I'm not going to mod it at all.....

Deep Singh 27 February 2003 11:33 AM

'I think I'll live with between 450-500 BHP'
What were you saying to me earlier about dreaming?

steve McCulloch 27 February 2003 12:18 PM

Deep

But I'm not dreaming at all... you'll just have to wait and see.. within the next few months this will happen

steve McCulloch 27 February 2003 12:21 PM

Deep

I've alreay gone internal and done a fair few other mods...

The only things left now are..

1. Bigger turbo
2. Headers
3. Cam work

Then possibly bigger than 740cc injectors - say 850's.. but may get away with raising the Fuel pressure
Then a twin plate clutch
A few pipework alterations.. and this and that

I should also have the water injection working that will be good for the summer

Deep Singh 27 February 2003 01:22 PM

Where theres a will theres a way.I'm sure you'll get it, I was just taking the oppurtunity to get back some of the piss that was taken out if me(LOL)