ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Engine Management and ECU Remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/)
-   -   ring land blown on fresh build.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/engine-management-and-ecu-remapping-453/1032619-ring-land-blown-on-fresh-build.html)

typersti9307 08 December 2015 11:20 AM

I haven't named anyone
I was using the forum for advice from fellow members
Feeling a little alone after 18 months of getting ****ed about by various people, wasn't aware there was
A policy for what you wish to discuss

Dave Y 08 December 2015 11:38 AM

You haven't named anyone I can't see a problem.
Good luck getting it sorted

typersti9307 08 December 2015 01:02 PM

Thanks for support mate

ossett2k2 08 December 2015 02:00 PM

Yes the main thing is you get it sorted with as little stress as possible.
I'm sure it's got to be an awful time for you,naming and shaming would not help you.
Maybe if the outcome is not acceptable then I personally would let other people know,that's just my opinion tho.
Really hope you get a good result pal :thumb:

Gambit 08 December 2015 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by typersti9307 (Post 11769562)
I haven't named anyone
I was using the forum for advice from fellow members
Feeling a little alone after 18 months of getting ****ed about by various people, wasn't aware there was
A policy for what you wish to discuss

18mths?!?!?

Dan_RA 08 December 2015 02:15 PM

general running in process for us is 500 miles on 10w40 mineral with actuator disconnected so no boost, oil and filter change, then another 500 miles again no boost, at 1000 miles after build, the boost is reconnected, oil and filter changed to 10w 50 synthetic, then mapped to suit the new build.

Was the mapping done on a dyno or on road? if dyno, the driver should be trained to listen for det and back off at the first instance, or when over boost is noticed and the issue checked immediately!

what will have caused the ringland is likely to be the amount of boost on the initial runs when there was no boost control.

Dave Y 09 December 2015 06:11 PM

Any updates on this ?

Cammy5106 09 December 2015 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_RA (Post 11769611)
general running in process for us is 500 miles on 10w40 mineral with actuator disconnected so no boost, oil and filter change, then another 500 miles again no boost, at 1000 miles after build, the boost is reconnected, oil and filter changed to 10w 50 synthetic, then mapped to suit the new build.

Thats more or less exactly how mine was explained to me as well when I got mine back form a big spend build. also my STi pinks had been left in until ready for map as well as the ID1000cc would over fuel like mad. You dont map and crank boost up on a new engine with only 500 miles on it thats bonkers.

Good luck mate I hope they sort it out, but any mapper or garage that works on your car are insured for such a mess.

MattyB1983 10 December 2015 09:36 PM

Subscribed

Dave Y 10 December 2015 10:19 PM

I wonder if any progress has been made?

Dave Y 11 December 2015 11:53 AM

All gone quiet ?

96sti 12 December 2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Y (Post 11770450)
All gone quiet ?

Maybe that's a good thing and the issue has been resolved between the op and mapper. Saving all the slating of mapper on scnet. :)

Zuber 13 December 2015 04:58 AM

The op is talking about an 18 month wait so far, unless this mapper has suddenly grew a conscience I would say the op has been shafted! The mapper should be named as who waits 18 months plus to get an issue sorted that was obviously the mapper who caused the issue in the first place!! At the end of the day this just screams of cowboy tuning and after care!!

96sti 13 December 2015 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 11770931)
The op is talking about an 18 month wait so far, unless this mapper has suddenly grew a conscience I would say the op has been shafted! The mapper should be named as who waits 18 months plus to get an issue sorted that was obviously the mapper who caused the issue in the first place!! At the end of the day this just screams of cowboy tuning and after care!!

Well in that case please name the mapper so no one else ends up in the sh.t

Name and shame :)

ossett2k2 13 December 2015 01:08 PM

I can only think that the garage/mapper are sorting this out now for the OP?
If they are then i wouldn't expect an update or any names.

If they're not sorting it out then it would be nice to see an update.
I keep my fingers crossed for a good positive outcome :thumb:

The Pink Ninja 13 December 2015 01:58 PM

I read it that it's taken 18 months to get to this point including build etc...not that he's been trying to resolve the issue with the mapper and garage for 18 months...but the SN witch hunt will carry on regardless, let the guy sort it out in private rather than have the usual lynching process :lol1:

Dave Y 13 December 2015 05:06 PM

You cant beat a good snet lynching.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good lynching. !

ossett2k2 13 December 2015 05:47 PM

:lol:
Let the snet kangaroo court begin!

Let's guess the mapper...
Well known mapper,works independently for a well know garage/engine builder,likely to be south of the border,said mapper quite possibly has had problems in the past?

Shouldn't be too hard to work out,I have a name in mind but that stays under my hat for now :)
Answers on the back of a postcard people and send to 235 ring land street,south snet lynchmob,New Engineland.

scubbay 13 December 2015 06:41 PM

Some of run in procedures mentioned are hilarious ! 500 miles without boost!! mother of god. Any/all engines I have built or had built were on full tilt by 400 miles. 10 miles on mineral with 4 complete heat cycles followed by oil and filter change with semi synthetic. 50-80 miles motorway style driving with minimum 2 full heat cycles. Oil and filter change.300 miles of mixed driving on actuator pressure over several days. Final oil and filter change before mapping. Many builders I know think even that is pussy and map rally cars to full tilt in under 50 miles. It is more about heat cycles than mileage really.

ditchmyster 13 December 2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by scubbay (Post 11771086)
Some of run in procedures mentioned are hilarious ! 500 miles without boost!! mother of god. Any/all engines I have built or had built were on full tilt by 400 miles. 10 miles on mineral with 4 complete heat cycles followed by oil and filter change with semi synthetic. 50-80 miles motorway style driving with minimum 2 full heat cycles. Oil and filter change.300 miles of mixed driving on actuator pressure over several days. Final oil and filter change before mapping. Many builders I know think even that is pussy and map rally cars to full tilt in under 50 miles. It is more about heat cycles than mileage really.

+1

If it's going to let go because of a crap build it will do it in the first 5/10 mins, motorcross engines get smashed from the get go, can't remember exactly but I think I did 50 miles in mine then dropped the oil then drove it 1200 miles across europe, week later caned the crap out of it around Donnigton all day trying to break it and it wouldn't die.:thumb:

johned 13 December 2015 09:11 PM

Each to their own.

mickywrx 13 December 2015 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by scubbay (Post 11771086)
Many builders I know think even that is pussy and map rally cars to full tilt in under 50 miles. It is more about heat cycles than mileage really.

I know of people that believe in the "rag it in" rather than "run it in" on fresh builds. They are their own cars to be fair though.

Godspeed Brakes 13 December 2015 09:41 PM

My freshly rebuilt WRC engine was under full boost after only 100 miles if running in , millers running in oil , driven with no boost for 50 miles , putting it under more and more load for a further 50 , change of oil and filter , another hiding on the road for 20 miles or so , and straight onto the stages
Have always run the rally engines quite quickly , even on the engine dyno they are only put through various loads for about an hour , then mapped fully , fitted in the car , live map to see if any changes are needed in situ , then onto the stages.

Like already has been mentioned , if there is a major build issue with an engine , it'll show up pretty much straight away

Jaysz 13 December 2015 10:14 PM

So if was from mapping do any mappers pay to get sorted mine popped when being mapped and friends twice after not many miles
Didn't get any thing from mapper

Tidgy 16 December 2015 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jaysz (Post 11771173)
So if was from mapping do any mappers pay to get sorted mine popped when being mapped and friends twice after not many miles

Not the first time and won't be the last. Mappers can just say mechanical failure and walk away and very little chance to.prove otherwise. Why I always use the same place for everything if it goes wrong, it's on them and no third parties arguing about who's to blame.

The Pink Ninja 16 December 2015 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jaysz (Post 11771173)

...and depends if it was a freshly built new engine with new parts, I'm guessing more than likely a remap on an existing engine which you dont know the history of with a fair few miles on it

Jaysz 16 December 2015 04:11 PM

Bottom end went on mine original motor but friends was ringlands and rings on few motors from original to used and full forged rebuild we changed mapper now )

Dan_RA 16 December 2015 04:18 PM

love how everyones stating what motor sport running in process is, on engines that get rebuilt several times a season. not a road car that is required to last.

4u2nv2 16 December 2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_RA (Post 11772179)
love how everyones stating what motor sport running in process is, on engines that get rebuilt several times a season. not a road car that is required to last.

2nd that :thumb:
also, are parts changed for peace of mind rather then lets wait for it to chuck a rod halfway thro a stage.. arnt rally cars around 300 bhp only?

hope for a good outcome buddy, but would still like to no who the mapper/builder is. :Whatever_

300gnspitzer 16 December 2015 08:16 PM

What parts of the engine are being run in for 1000 miles? If the big ends, main bearings, cams and followers need running in they were not fitted properly and will probably not last very long anyway. The rings need bedding in I know, but the pistons surely will only run in when they are at their maximum size or maximum temperature, which they are never going to get to at 3-4000 rpm.