ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   stunning v4 sti (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1012093-stunning-v4-sti.html)

LuckyWelshchap 20 September 2014 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kwik (Post 11519688)
Nit picking perhaps? Most Subaru ads don't tend to even mention which fuel is used, and instead make outrageous boasts of unlikely power.
As for the remap comments, why would a car run on 99 in Japan need a remap if it uses 99 here? Pre V5 (iirc could be V6) classics couldn't be mapped on their original ECU.

Originally Posted by Gear Head (Post 11519698)
Jesus you guys are picky. I had a long chat with the owner yesterday. Seems very genuine.

The low level spoiler was an option from the factory. He also added the v5 front bumper as he preferred the look. Still has original though and the wheels.

Hopefully, if still for sale next weekend, I'll be going to view it. A couple if car park dinks will cost next to nothing to have removed.

Not 'nit picking' at all, and my fault if it comes over that way.
I always think it in the best interests to be as cynical as possible and Devil's Advocate to the utmost. It's the 'atmosphere' on SN that makes these things come across in a critical way.

It is (from me anyway) constructive criticism.
Ask the question, prove me wrong - and we're ALL happy because a potential buyer knows he hasn't got a hidden or prospective nightmare waiting to happen.

Hopefully GH will look at the car, ask searching questions and have their mind put at ease ( even if it is 'some of the poo-pooers on SN have said....' - I don't mind, honestly).

Let's be honest, a buyer (and the seller) has got a lot more going for them now, after this thread.

Tony Harrington 20 September 2014 02:19 PM

Stick in there Mr Powerwrx regardless of what others may think, the right car will come along at some point.

You just have to be extra patient due to your requirements but it will definitely happen.

Kwik 20 September 2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap (Post 11519725)
Not 'nit picking' at all, and my fault if it comes over that way.
I always think it in the best interests to be as cynical as possible and Devil's Advocate to the utmost. It's the 'atmosphere' on SN that makes these things come across in a critical way.

It is (from me anyway) constructive criticism.
Ask the question, prove me wrong - and we're ALL happy because a potential buyer knows he hasn't got a hidden or prospective nightmare waiting to happen.

Hopefully GH will look at the car, ask searching questions and have their mind put at ease ( even if it is 'some of the poo-pooers on SN have said....' - I don't mind, honestly).

Let's be honest, a buyer (and the seller) has got a lot more going for them now, after this thread.

It wasn't meant as a dig at either you or Tubbs, just that imo it's a better advert than most and it would seem the seller has a good basic knowledge of Imprezas.
I'm also genuinely intrigued now regarding the RON/remap situation, as that means every JDM would need/have needed either a remap or a new ECU once it hit UK shores. My assumption was that as long as it was standard then 99 would suffice.

forgedmarco 20 September 2014 02:50 PM

I think they all should be checked by a mapper once imported. That was the problem with the p1 Subaru Japan wouldn't let prodrive do a whole new map that's why a lot suffered engine problems.

fat-thomas 20 September 2014 02:51 PM

jap fuel is 100 ron so the car really needs a custom map to account for the lower uk ron rated fuel

bustaMOVEs 20 September 2014 03:09 PM

So what about the pre 98 cars (classics) when they came into country? Which I think kwik is trying to point out.
These cars are not mappable

Kwik 20 September 2014 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11519761)
So what about the pre 98 cars (classics) when they came into country? Which I think kwik is trying to point out. These cars are not mappable

Exactly. And ALL Jdm models mapped, I doubt if 50% of them were on import?.

bustaMOVEs 20 September 2014 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kwik (Post 11519762)
Exactly. And ALL Jdm models mapped, I doubt if 50% of them were on import?.

Micky will know this one

Kwik 20 September 2014 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs (Post 11519774)
Micky will know this one

If you mean Mickywrx I think his is a JDM WRX and iirc I remember reading that his never had a remap. My old WRX was never mapped, lasted 100k and 7 years of my ownership. My 98 TypeRs original engine was on 110k and had the original ECU.

Gear Head 20 September 2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kwik (Post 11519793)

If you mean Mickywrx I think his is a JDM WRX and iirc I remember reading that his never had a remap. My old WRX was never mapped, lasted 100k and 7 years of my ownership. My 98 TypeRs original engine was on 110k and had the original ECU.

I ran my sti 4 on the standard map with a decat downpipe and it was spot on for the two years that I had it. I did have the fueling checked on the rollering road at power engineering though.

powerwrx 20 September 2014 06:42 PM

not sure if the lad told your or not Gear Head but he bought it off a chap no too long ago in kent, I believe he imported it. maybe you could get the guys number and see what was done to the car when he brought it over. im pretty sure I was offered the car at the beginning of the year as part of a deal for another members Blue Type R (stuart).

stuart was going to sell his type r to the guy in kent who would use this v4 sti as part of the deal then I would buy the v4 sti off stuart. the deal didn't go ahead for what ever reason I cant remember.

before anyone jumps in with 2 feet, yes.. I was interested in the car back then 6mths ago but im not now

im 99% sure this was the same car, stuart did send me a lot of pictures but I deleted them