ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Impreza - Engine Rebuild Options...? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1006907-impreza-engine-rebuild-options.html)

ditchmyster 26 June 2014 09:11 AM

Have a chat with your engine builder and see what he says.:thumb:

WokaImp 26 June 2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11456923)

Don't worry, I fully intend to :)
I just don't like going into conversations blind and like to be fully prepared 1st.

ditchmyster 26 June 2014 09:22 AM

2.1 will make it a better road car as it will have a little more torque lower down the rev range so will be more responsive low down and pick up better, probably save on fuel too because you won't be boosting as much during daily normal driving.

You need to invest in a set of gauges too as you were probably cooking the engine when on track, need a decent fuel pump too.

Out of interest how much fuel was in it when it let go as you may of had some fuel starvation, especially if as you say it was a tight twisty track.

WokaImp 26 June 2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11456934)
2.1 will make it a better road car as it will have a little more torque lower down the rev range so will be more responsive low down and pick up better, probably save on fuel too because you won't be boosting as much during daily normal driving.

You need to invest in a set of gauges too as you were probably cooking the engine when on track, need a decent fuel pump too.

Out of interest how much fuel was in it when it let go as you may of had some fuel starvation, especially if as you say it was a tight twisty track.

Set of gauges? Temp gauges for various points in the engine?

Started out with a full tank. After 26 miles when everything went pear shaped it had just a little over half the tank.
I am sure it was my horribly aggressive and unforgiving driving that was probably the contributing factor...30 years of racing just went out the window.

Also, not sure why I didn't mention this before. While the car is 15 years old, the engine "only" has 98k on the clock. The engine also had a basic like for like rebuild at 58k due to a snapped con rod. I have the full service history for it.

joe v3sti 26 June 2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11456923)

Totally agree! Speak to Andy, he will keep you right. Very intelligent bloke who will point you in the right direction with totally unbiased advice. He's currently got my engine over there. You probably even saw it on the stand. I wouldn't trust anyone else. Remember the guys over there have built and driven all manner of builds and specs. So their advice is backed up bus lot of experience.

Joe

Henrik 26 June 2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by WokaImp (Post 11456914)
plus slightly higher torque, slightly less revs. Any ideas at how much more torque? 5%?

Just to pick on the rev point - the 2.1 will rev to equally high numbers as the 2.0, for all intents and purposes here.

After a 2.1 build, your bottom end should be OK for at least 8k, however your heads wont be keeping up, so you'll end up with the same rev limit on both (I'm guessing it's ~7k on the uk spec my99).

WokaImp 26 June 2014 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by joe v3sti (Post 11457007)
Totally agree! Speak to Andy, he will keep you right. Very intelligent bloke who will point you in the right direction with totally unbiased advice. He's currently got my engine over there. You probably even saw it on the stand. I wouldn't trust anyone else. Remember the guys over there have built and driven all manner of builds and specs. So their advice is backed up bus lot of experience.

Joe

So, you're the one holding up my build :cry: :)
I saw many poorly Impreza engines there...most had exactly the same issues as mine...big ends and con rods.

Just had a chat with them and everything is sorted.
Parts on order. Looking at another 2+ weeks.

2.1 Stroker it is. Open deck block.
Similar bhp to current car, around 220 mark I think.

Can handle way above 400bhp...with new ECU and turbo etc....never going to get anywhere near that though.
Current clutch and gearbox rated to 350bhp, so no issues with it tearing them to bits.

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 11457034)
Just to pick on the rev point - the 2.1 will rev to equally high numbers as the 2.0, for all intents and purposes here.

After a 2.1 build, your bottom end should be OK for at least 8k, however your heads wont be keeping up, so you'll end up with the same rev limit on both (I'm guessing it's ~7k on the uk spec my99).

Thanks for that. This the same for the 2Ltr? ~7k?

ditchmyster 26 June 2014 12:47 PM

Wise choice, I'd have them refresh the heads while they're at it.:thumb:

Henrik 26 June 2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by WokaImp (Post 11457039)
Thanks for that. This the same for the 2Ltr? ~7k?

Yes, both the 2.1 and 2.0 with your current heads will do about 7000 rpm.

If you were to upgrade the heads to something better, then you could run 8k without issue on both setups (IMO - check with engine builder).

WokaImp 26 June 2014 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11457080)
Wise choice, I'd have them refresh the heads while they're at it.:thumb:

Give them a good spring clean to remove all the carbon deposits?

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 11457101)
Yes, both the 2.1 and 2.0 with your current heads will do about 7000 rpm.

If you were to upgrade the heads to something better, then you could run 8k without issue on both setups (IMO - check with engine builder).

I'm assuming upgrading the heads is not a cheap thing.

BadBadLeeroyBrown 26 June 2014 04:37 PM

Ive recently been in the same position with my bugeye. It really wasn't an easy choice but ended up going for a 2.1 with refreshed heads. Now can't wait to get it back, run in and mapped :D

WokaImp 26 June 2014 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by BadBadLeeroyBrown (Post 11457248)
Ive recently been in the same position with my bugeye. It really wasn't an easy choice but ended up going for a 2.1 with refreshed heads. Now can't wait to get it back, run in and mapped :D

Getting it back soon?
How much did the head refresh set you back?

ditchmyster 26 June 2014 05:30 PM

Somewhere around £3/500 depending on what you go for, Sti valves and springs would be my choice and will come in at around the £400 mark as well as future proofing for 450/500bhp.:thumb:

WokaImp 26 June 2014 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11457281)
Somewhere around £3/500 depending on what you go for, Sti valves and springs would be my choice and will come in at around the £400 mark as well as future proofing for 450/500bhp.:thumb:

Excellent, thanks. Sent an email enquiring about it.

jonnyricer2 26 June 2014 10:19 PM

I.also race prokarts but modified my boss also!

Can be very expensive!!

Sorry for.going off topic.

BadBadLeeroyBrown 26 June 2014 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by WokaImp (Post 11457252)
Getting it back soon?
How much did the head refresh set you back?

Another couple of weeks till I get it back, I'm not 100% sure of the individual prices of jobs, but I have £400 in my head for it. Being done at Engine Tuner, Plymouth. Cant wait to get it back and running though :thumb:

WokaImp 26 June 2014 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyricer2 (Post 11457535)
I.also race prokarts but modified my boss also!

Can be very expensive!!

Sorry for.going off topic.

Cool.
I'm about to start a £4k+ twin Honda pro kart build soon...should have started it in Dec, but things got in the way. Hopefully should be done for next season and the 24hr British and Le Mans races.

Originally Posted by BadBadLeeroyBrown (Post 11457566)
Another couple of weeks till I get it back, I'm not 100% sure of the individual prices of jobs, but I have £400 in my head for it. Being done at Engine Tuner, Plymouth. Cant wait to get it back and running though :thumb:

Looks like we'll be getting ours back around the same time.
Itching to get behind the wheel and go tootling across the North York moors :)

BadBadLeeroyBrown 26 June 2014 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by WokaImp (Post 11457575)
Looks like we'll be getting ours back around the same time.
Itching to get behind the wheel and go tootling across the North York moors :)

Good luck with it all mate, I'll be pottering around the Cornish coast running in like an old granny :wonder: lol

WokaImp 22 June 2015 03:23 PM

Hi,

I know this is an old thread I started...but I never updated it with the end result.
Thought I'd post and let people know the route I went down...
-
VERY happy I went down this route. Thanks for all the advice ppl gave me last year.
I couldn't be happier with the car...or with Richard Henry's Motorsport. Great mechanics, great people.

Originally Posted by Carnut (Post 11456217)
Option 3. 4. Will give you a car that will ultimately become a money pit, ie gearbox clutch brakes etc.

Not sure the options had anything to do with this ;)
Who would have thought it would have been "addictive".
-
In the end after running the engine in for a few 1000 miles I decided that I wanted a more track worthy car.
-
Starting Point: Unmodified Impreza UK Turbo 2000 AWD
Performance
  • Alcatek ECU + Map
  • K&N Induction kit
  • Upgraded Oil Pump
  • Oil Sump Baffles
  • Upgraded Fuel Pump
  • Decat downpipe
-
Handling
  • 17x7.5 Team Dynamics 1.2 Racing Alloys, white. (required arch rolling on rear)
  • 215/45 Eagle F1 Tyres
  • BC Adjustable Coilovers
  • K-Sport 8 pot front brakes with 330mm disks
  • Impreza 4 pot rear brakles with 290mm disks
  • Chassis H-Frame
  • Front Strut Support
  • 6 Speed STI UK Gearbox and drive shafts
  • Custom racing single plate clutch
  • Front and Rear White Lines anti roll bars
-
Misc
  • New battery
  • New ignition leads
-
Future Upgrades - Target 350+bhp
  • V5 STI AVCS Heads (I think it's V5)
  • 3 port boost solenoid
  • VF35 Turbo (Still running old OEM TD04)
  • STI Intercooler (Need FMIC for 400bhp)
  • 3" Haywood and Scott Exhaust
-
The car was on a rolling road last week. Results:
245bhp at 5.5k rpm
363Nm torque at 4.1k rpm
-
I also invested in a Toucan touch screen guage display after Joe_v3STI gave me a demo at Richard Henrys when we bumped into each other randomly a few months back.
The toucan is an amazing bit of kit and I would recommend it to anyone.
-
Apart from the white alloys, the car still looks like a classic.
It's an unassuming beast ;)
I'm waiting for the flood of posts saying I should have bought an xxx STI or a P1 or something else...but three things. 1) Love the look of the classic. 2) I never expected to go down the upgrade route...it just sorta happened. 3) I have a lovely looking car with lots of brand new components for less £ than I could get an STI for :)

stealthbomber 23 June 2015 12:04 PM

Cheers for the update, nicely specced car you've got there now, enjoy it:thumb:

WokaImp 23 June 2015 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by stealthbomber (Post 11700959)
Cheers for the update, nicely specced car you've got there now, enjoy it:thumb:

Oh I have been. So much fun :)
Oddly enough...I've never driven so carefully, courteously and respectfully in my life.
-
The only issue with it is the slight rusty-rear-architus. The rolling of the rear arches last month caused a small amount of paint to flake off...but in two weeks it's off for a proper repair job to rectify this issue.