ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   The Great BMW Debate (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/100070-the-great-bmw-debate.html)

NotoriousREV 19 October 2002 10:01 AM

Bloody hell, who resurrected this thread from the dead? It only took a BMW owner 5 months to respond :rolleyes:

I stand by my previous comments. The worst culprits are definately the 316/318 drivers, the larger, more expensive models seem to attract a different sort of driver again. I simply don't understand someone who buy a base spec BMW for the same money as a top spec, better peforming "mainstream" car.

Mainstream manufacturers have caught BMW up in areas such as build quality, driving dynamics and reliability to the point where BM's simply aren't worth the premium they charge. I own a Lexus IS200, the so-called Japanese 3 series. I think it looks better, is better built, has every toy imaginable and cost the same as a very spartan 318i. Oh and servicing is cheaper than Ford or Vauxhall (£250 for a major service? Yes please!). Most importantly, it doesn't have the wide-boy image that the BM has (unless it's got gold badges, 20" rims and blacked out windows :rolleyes: )

I'm sure everyone enjoys what car they own and this wasn't a "I hate all BMW's and their drivers" thread, it was merely an observation from real life that some drivers of BM's are tw@ts ;)

Seriously, the day I picked by Scooby up only 2 cars had a go (I wasn't up for a race as it was on the motorway and I'd only owned my car a few hours) and they were both small engined BM 3 series. The Audi S3 driver just looked at my car appreciatively.

Wurzel 19 October 2002 10:38 AM

I used to have a H reg BMW 325I M spec but not M3 and at the time I thought it was a trully awsome machine if not a bit basic and plasticy inside, but the engine sounded awsome (I was 23 at the time) a few years later I had the use of an N reg BMW518 and it was horrible, big and slow. A few months ago I went out in my girlfriends dads 328c something and it was nice, quiet, spacious and smooth. However I have a GT Turbo and like the way it pulls and sounds no more no less, it is not a sexy car but it is not ugly, It is far more noticable than a BMW, people stop and look at it, with a BM no one takes a second look. I don't like or dislike BMWs everyone is entightled to their own choice of car I just wish BMW drivers would get rid of the idea that they are better than everyone else.

Saying that, over here in Stuttgart we get the same with Mercedes drivers, no matter what model they are in they are king of the road, and down in Munich it is the same with BMWs. On the Autobahn it does tend to be the BMW rather than mercedes drivers that have the chip on their shoulder because you are infront of them and they should be there not you. This is where I love my scoob because there are less than 1000 of them in the country and most Germans don't know the cars as rallying is not big over here, so you change down and boot it, they are not prepared for the acceleration of these cars and generaly don't harass you twice. Alternatively you can just get out the way and leave them to their own devices.

Bravo2zero_sps 19 October 2002 01:02 PM

I really can not believe the views of some people on here :rolleyes:

I had an F reg BMW 525i before my scoob. So does that mean I was a total ar$ehole when I had the BMW but now I own a scoob I must be ok??? Or does it mean if you have ever owned a BMW you are always an ar$ehole???

FFS some of you really need to get a life. Anyone in any type of car can be a bad driver and arrogant. Seems to me the ones who slag the BMW's off are the ones who have a problem.

I had my BMW because my Father had bought it from new and it was mint, at the time I was married with a baby son. It was a luxurious car to drive, had masses of space and was extremely comfortable and reliable to drive. I didn't buy it because it would make me king of the road or because I thought it was the fastest thing since sliced bread, I bought it because it was what I wanted at the time. Now I am single I have a scoob as I always wanted one and can afford one. Neither car has made me a better driver or changed my attitude to the way I drive. I still miss my BMW and would like to have kept it but had no where to park it, but I wouldn't change my scoob for anything (well maybe only a Skyline R34 ;) )

Those who slag BMW's off should take a step back and seriously examine how they drive because I would bet my last pound they are not the angels of the road they claim to be which just makes them fcuking hypocrites IMHO [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I get provoked in the scoob as much as anyone, but its not by the same manufacturer of car like some of you seem to claim, I have had everything from bloody Nova's to Porkers try it on. Some I let get on with it, some I have taken the bait, no one is fcuking perfect in this world so those of u who slag other drivers of certain manufacturers off should shut the fcuk up and become perfect b4 you tell others how to drive!

jonny gav 19 October 2002 04:07 PM

My two cars http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...6338560848.jpg

NotoriousREV 19 October 2002 08:13 PM

Bravo,

ooh, hit a nerve have we? :D

Calm down, it's only the frigging internet :rolleyes:

fatherpierre 19 October 2002 09:16 PM

Our car park at work is full of them and funnily enough nearly all of the drivers who choose them are arrogant jerks who are never wrong
But Co55ie drives a Sierra, not a Beemer:D

[Edited by fatherpierre - 10/19/2002 9:17:13 PM]

camk 19 October 2002 11:08 PM

Just another sign of the current lack of depth in threads....I'm sure those few lucky souls who drive McLaren F1's will be gutted with their BMW engines......FFS. BMW are the best Automotive Engineering firm in the world, bar none. Ask yourself this, have they EVER produced a real stinker....eehhh not really. Call it prestige call it what you like but they make good cars that sell well and many people would love one, as a car manufacturer Subaru would kill for the same loyal following as BMW's have, not to mention reliability, residuals and build quality. I'm sure that the morons banging on about BMW's and Fords being crap are the same mob that were driving Nova's or RS Fiestas 12 months ago and told their baseball cap wearing mates they'd die before they left the Nova clan. Bad drivers cannot be identified by the car they drive.....

fatherpierre 19 October 2002 11:43 PM

In a nutshell Camk

I had a 320i(e36) that I bought with 112000 on it. I sold last year with 228000 on it.

It never let me down and never cut anyone up (intentionally).

My previous mondeo was w@nk. I'd take a basic BMW over a loaded Ford anyday.

GM 20 October 2002 12:13 AM

A friend of mine - a bit of a petrol head in his day, had a couple of 205 gtis before kids came along. He has a good job, got promoted to assistant director and qualified for a company car. The brains trust (ie the guys he went rally marshalling with) and he agreed he needed a 2.5l Mondeo estate so he had something reasonably quick that he could get wife, two rug rats plus associated crap into. Nope. Failed the "her indoors test". Associate directors don't drive Fords - they drive beemers. So he speaks to The Car Bloke - "You can get a 316 with all the bits". "Can't I get a 318?" "Well you could but you couldn't afford any extras - no-one does that". So he did - and lo, it was still slow, and was seriously iffy whenever it snowed, but Her Indoors was happy (although he isn't allowed to go rally marshalling anymore). There's a moral there somewhere folks.............

fatherpierre 20 October 2002 12:21 AM

Yeah - go for a six-pot version.

jonny gav 20 October 2002 12:39 AM

my scoob is a fantastic A and B road car,my bmw is a fantastic motorway car.

its as simple as that.

this thread made me chuckle :D :D :D

bravo2zero- i must be jeckle and hide then :D ;)

fatherpierre 20 October 2002 12:52 AM

Is there a better motorway mile muncher than a BMW? I used mine for that and did 100000 in two years. Mercs do it with the same ease.

Fords don't from my experience.

NotoriousREV 20 October 2002 10:32 AM

"Just another sign of the current lack of depth in threads"

Actually, this post was first made in May and was only made current when a BMW owner found it and resurrected it, therefore it should be:

"Just another sign of the lack of depth in threads over the last few months" ;)

jbryant 20 October 2002 11:55 AM

Debadging has been covered on this board for Scoobies. Many seem to have liked the look on the ass end of a WRX. Personally I think it's toss but the only reason it's there as a free option for BMWs is because buyers have asked for it and BMW have reponded to customer demand. Try asking IM the same question :rolleyes:

Joolz
PS. Can I have a pink subaru sticker please - I want to look like an STI!;)?

Bravo2zero_sps 20 October 2002 12:16 PM

Notorious

I am just sick of the way a few people on this BBS seem to have a real problem (not the jokers as I like a bit of banter as much as anyone) with BMW's and its pathetic. I know its only the internet but its also a place for discussion, some serious, mostly light hearted. But some seriously slag people off because of the car they drive and its quite unbelievable. :rolleyes:

I don't know POC but I know he has owned just about every car under the sun ;) and he will tell you (from what I have read on his posts) BMW's are fantastic cars just as he has enjoyed his scoob's and evo's. My mate Beemerboy on here also drives a similar BMW to what I used to drive and I know he thinks his is a great car but again just because he now owns a BMW doesn't mean he drives any differently to what he did before he got it. Why do people have to stereotype owners of certain brands? I am certainly no angel on the road and some of things I do in my scoob I find quite embarrasing by the time I get home. Yet some on here slag people off as tho they are perfect :rolleyes: and its hypocritical because as a scoob owner they didn't buy it to drive round obeying every single speed limit and drive like a granny.

Anyone that can turn round and say they would rather have a Ford over a BMW is either lieing through their teeth or quite simply insane :D I have owned Fords and I wouldn't touch another one with a barge pole, not even the new Focus RS :p

Jonny gav very nice m8, as I said earlier I wish I still had my 5 series. I still see it being driven around town and luckily the bloke who bought it is looking after it better than I did and its always spotless. Cracking cars for very different reasons that the scoob is a cracking car. Wish I had the choice in the morning to pick between two such fine examples :D

Oh and to add Notorious I wasn't claiming you were one of the ones seriously slagging off BMW owners, the original thread made clear it was light hearted :D But someone like Co55ie who says BMW's aren't prestige cars is a complete plum and doesn't know what he is talking about. He obviously hasn't even been in a top spec BMW like a 740i/750i let alone driven one to appreciate their qualities :rolleyes:

[Edited by ************** - 10/20/2002 12:28:04 PM]