ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Teachers' striking (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/892995-teachers-striking.html)

Gordo 30 June 2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 10113515)
The Teachers are really stupid - they are turning the spotlight upon themselves and people are going to see some glaring facts they didn't know before!

1. They have had TWO payrises per year for decades.

2. They get an automatic move up the payspine worth 7.5% each September.

3. They have had an annual payrise each year to cover cost of living.

4. Their Pensions are the best in the world - 75% of Final Salary after just 30 years work!

5. They are only directed to work 26 hours a week ... think about that, when they say they have to work extra hours they mean over and above 26 hours a week ... the rest of the world has been working 40 or more for ever!

6. They receive 12 weeks holiday a year. Maybe they mark papers whilst sat on a Caribean beach ... is that 'really' working?

7. They know they'll never get fired, no matter how sh1t they are. A true sinecure.

f1_fan 30 June 2011 07:09 PM

Have to say that the only mildly amusing thing is the meeting of the three most dishonest bunch of people in the country over this, the unions, politicians and the media..

On the one hand you have the unions saying nearly everyone was on strike, the government saying practically no one was on strike and the media sat in the middle agreeing with whichever one would get them the most reaction at the time. :D

EddScott 30 June 2011 08:43 PM

According to a thread on another forum and some online sauce the average scottish teacher pension is £10K. That doesn't seem that much.

Where has this £24K a year come from?

Chip 30 June 2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 10114363)
According to a thread on another forum and some online sauce the average scottish teacher pension is £10K. That doesn't seem that much.

Where has this £24K a year come from?

Edd,

They'll be taking into account ALL of the Scottish teachers pensions which will include those who have just retired but also those who maybe did one year or started when they were 55 etc.

As Mark Twain said: "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Chip

Peanuts 30 June 2011 10:50 PM

f**king teachers

The private sector has had pay freezes for years, final salary schemes scrapped and we either like it or move on.
The whole country needs to help drag itself out of recession and into a sustainable future, teachers are not exempt.

The only thing that this strike has shown is how truly out of touch with reality teachers are, it has also brought this fact to the attention of the public because throughout the build up to this the teachers have bleated on "poor us, dont slate teachers we do a great job", yet it has the square root of f**k all to do with the job they do, I will put it in caps so that you are compleely sure of my point.

YOU DO A GOOD JOB, JUST F**KING CHIP IN WITH THE REST OF THE COUNTRY TO MAKE OUR FUTURE FINANCIALLY VIABLE.

Daryl 30 June 2011 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by typical Scoobynet moron
f**king teachers

blah blah blah etc...

:rolleyes:

jonc 30 June 2011 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 10114696)
blah blah blah etc...

:rolleyes:

Thanks for your usual constructive input on the matter.:rolleyes:

f1_fan 30 June 2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Peanuts (Post 10114630)
f**king teachers

You forgot dishonest, lazy, selfish, deluded, thick and self righteous :thumb:

Daryl 30 June 2011 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10114734)
You forgot dishonest, lazy, selfish, deluded, thick and self righteous :thumb:

and that's just the two of you! :thumb:

Daryl 30 June 2011 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10114700)
Thanks for your usual constructive input on the matter.:rolleyes:

It's no less constructive than yours... :rolleyes:

f1_fan 01 July 2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 10114739)
and that's just the two of you! :thumb:

Hadn't you better get to bed, after all you have a rare (half) day's work tomorrow and you might find it a bit taxing after such a 'difficult' week :D :D

Don't worry as you can spend the weekend plotting some more with your fellow militant dumbass union buddies about how to take more than your fair share of the country's finances while those of us in the real world continue to shoulder some resposibility and just get on with it. :thumb:

rallycol 01 July 2011 12:21 AM

What people are lacking is a bit of foresight.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2145708.stm
I spoke to a leading civil servant many years ago ,and they informed me of the medium term plan to increase MP's pensions ,as he said "not all come from wealthy backgrounds , they too have to plan for their future"

rallycol 01 July 2011 12:26 AM

2002 headline Don't do as I do, rings a bell !

Taxpayers will be contributing an extra £25m over the next three years to make up the shortfall in the pension fund for MPs. As with hundreds of company pension schemes the drop in the stock market has blown a hole in the fund and it needs to be filled up. But instead of the scheme members paying extra, the Treasury is to treble payments to the Parliamentary Pension Scheme from 8% to 24% of MPs salaries to meet the gap. Steve Webb, the Liberal Democrats work and pensions spokesman, said the move "does not look right" at a time when constituents' private pensions are doing so badly.

Ben Bradshaw, the Commons deputy leader, said part of the rise in contributions was necessary to meet a deficit in the Parliamentary Pension Scheme of £25m. In 2002 MPs voted themselves an enhanced pension deal, with a rise from one fiftieth to one fortieth of their annual £55,000 salary to be paid per year of service. They argued that the precarious nature of the average Parliamentary career means they deserve a better pension deal. The move, which is likely to infuriate pensioners' groups unable to rely on large hand-outs from the Exchequer, was blamed by the Government yesterday on the stock market. But it also conceded that the more generous pension package for MPs approved by the Commons last year had contributed to the deficit.

He said the main reason for the huge increase was the decision to end the contributions holiday enjoyed by the Treasury for the last 13 years and "disappointing investment returns". He added, "The surplus on the scheme has now been exhausted in this way and Exchequer contributions must revert to a level reflecting the long-run costs." The Commons agreed better pension packages last year, although they might be reflected in the next review of MPs' salaries. David Willetts, the shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, said the pension fund had "come down to earth with a bump". He said it was "mirroring the experience" of many schemes which faced higher contributions because of stock market losses and higher taxes on pension funds.

Mr Webb said, "I think that we as MPs should have no better, no worse position when this sort of thing happens, as our constituents in private sector funds. What's happening to them is that in some cases, workers are having to put more in or are seeing their benefits reduced as well as employers putting more money in. What's happening for us is the whole of the amount of the shortfall is being met by the taxpayer. All I am saying is, at a time when our own constituents' pension funds - particularly in the private sector - are doing very, very badly and Parliament arguably has failed to address that problem urgently enough, it simply doesn't look right for us to expect the taxpayer to meet all of our deficit without us putting anything extra in at all."

Mr Webb said he believed the government was concerned that the MPs "wouldn't wear" being asked to make up the full cost themselves. "I think the same thing has happened again this year," he said. David Willetts, shadow work and pensions secretary, said, "The fund is mirroring the experience of many funded pension schemes, which are seeing increased contributions to make up for the cost of the Chancellor's £5bn a year tax imposed on pension funds in 1997 through the abolition of the dividend tax."

rallycol 01 July 2011 12:30 AM

2009 headline

MPs came under fire for their gold-plated pensions today after it emerged that the cost of their retirement had soared by 25 per cent.

Figures showed that the amount taxpayers have pumped into the Parliamentary scheme has rocketed by nearly a quarter over five years, up from £9.8 million in 2003 to £12 million.

An MP with 20 years' service can now expect to receive a pension of around £30,000 a year at today's prices, according to a ministerial answer to Liberal Democrat Work and Pensions spokesman Paul Rowen.

A further £15 million of taxpayers' cash was spent over the past year helping to plug a £100million black hole caused by the Treasury taking a "contributions holiday" from the scheme between 1989 and 2003.

Mr Rowen said: "This extravagance is an insult to hard-pressed taxpayers and should be reviewed. MPs need to tighten their belts too."

Former Treasury pensions adviser Ros Altmann said: "MPs are the ultimate example of the public-sector pensions aristocracy.

"Their scheme is the most generous in the land."

An extra £250,000 of overpayments from the MPs' pension fund has also been written off.

Chris Bryant, Labour MP and Deputy Commons Leader, said there had been a "significant number of pension payment errors" by the Parliamentary Contributory Pension Fund (PCPF) over a period of 10 years.

BlueBugEye 01 July 2011 06:38 AM

Does all make for interesting reading I must say.

Teacher pension contributions are currently over 6%, proposed changes will take this to just over 9% e.g a 50% increase, for which they will have to work longer and get less.

My main issue with the Governments position over this is they have so far provided no evidence/information about the supposed 'hole' in the TPS - the Unions re-negotiated the TPS in 2007 and all agreed at the next valuation if contributions needed to be increased to ensure sustainability of the scheme then they would accept this. Interestingly the TPS was last valued (as all private sector schemes must be every 3 years by law) and changes made to the scheme to ensure it's affordability. The latest review should have been end of 2009/start of 2010 yet the Government haven't carried it out (or published the findings).

Did anybody else notice the U turn yesterday morning on the News where it was proven to the Government that the scheme was not 'unaffordable' and the Government now state 'fairness' as a reason for the changes - surely if this was a private pension scheme that was affordable and paying it's way there wouldn't be a problem. The extra revenue raised by the scheme is going to fill the hole created by the Banking crisis (e.g. the private sector).

As for Mr Gove:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...72_468x435.jpg

Michael Gove

I wonder who he encouraged to cross his own picket line?

Anybody else see Nick Gibb (schools Minister and my local MP) on BBC news - a very interesting interview.

jonc 01 July 2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Daryl (Post 10114743)
It's no less constructive than yours... :rolleyes:

If you say so, denial is not a river in Egypt! :lol1:

22BUK 01 July 2011 11:02 AM

Good article in The Independent today:

The teachers' real grievance is status

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...s-2305057.html

Excerpt:
a survey on the status of teachers in England was compiled for the Department for Education in 2007 – and it is telling. Not only does its very existence show that the then Government had the status of the profession in its sights, but a central finding was that teachers' status had declined sharply over 40 years: from a high of 4.3 (on a scale of 5) in 1967 to a low of 2.2 in 2002, although it had recovered a little, to 2.5, by 2006

The survey reported that rank-and-file teachers were equated in the public mind with social workers, while the analogy for head teachers was with management consultants. At both ends of the seniority scale, therefore, teaching had lost its association with higher-status professionals – medicine and the law. At the lower end, it was seen as akin to a social service; at the top, more like a business

Another salient conclusion was that the decline reflected the view of teachers themselves as much as that of the public. And their sliding sense of their own status was linked to feelings of powerlessness, as government initiatives came and went, and the perception that they had lost professional autonomy with the proliferation in national tests and league tables.

Dr.No 01 July 2011 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Midlife...... (Post 10096536)
Edd scott is on the button.......see my post 84 about the lack of sympathy there is where I work.

Shaun

PS....small tip, I couldn't be bothered to turn on the oven for the nan bread so used the deep fat fryer to heat it up: not a good idea. LOL

Toaster every time! Sometimes you have to cut them in half, or eject and turn 'em over, but does a very good job - even frozen ones.

tony de wonderful 01 July 2011 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 22BUK (Post 10115024)
Good article in The Independent today:

The teachers' real grievance is status

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...s-2305057.html

Excerpt:
a survey on the status of teachers in England was compiled for the Department for Education in 2007 – and it is telling. Not only does its very existence show that the then Government had the status of the profession in its sights, but a central finding was that teachers' status had declined sharply over 40 years: from a high of 4.3 (on a scale of 5) in 1967 to a low of 2.2 in 2002, although it had recovered a little, to 2.5, by 2006

The survey reported that rank-and-file teachers were equated in the public mind with social workers, while the analogy for head teachers was with management consultants. At both ends of the seniority scale, therefore, teaching had lost its association with higher-status professionals – medicine and the law. At the lower end, it was seen as akin to a social service; at the top, more like a business

Another salient conclusion was that the decline reflected the view of teachers themselves as much as that of the public. And their sliding sense of their own status was linked to feelings of powerlessness, as government initiatives came and went, and the perception that they had lost professional autonomy with the proliferation in national tests and league tables.

But that has been happening in western society since the 50's, you have a process where authority figures have been under-mined and have been losing power we thought intrinsic to them.

When light get's shon upon authority figures it is hard for them to keep their power, cos it relies to some extent upon secrecy and mystery. Now we have inspectors in the class room, parents 'shop around' for the best schools, and are free to criticise Teachers etc, you have Paedo scandals in the papers etc too.

Medicine and law have avoided this to some extent, what they do is hard for the average person to comprehend even if the info is not kept secret. There is plenty of mystery about what a Doctor does. I've said this a few times but Doctors are a kind of Priest class in our society, perhaps the last one.

pslewis 01 July 2011 01:50 PM

For those on here who choose to listen to the truth, here it is ..... Teachers will STILL get what they have built up in their Pensions from the point of Transfer to another scheme.

Therefore, a Teacher taking the 'old' Pension at age 60 will receive 75% of their final salary at that point (£37,500 based on the current Teacher average pay).

If this Teacher, on £50,000, decides to work on to 66 - adding to the 'new' Pension years - then from age 60 to age 66 they will be getting £87,500 a year!!!

Mindboggling why they find this worthy of strike action!?

It's you and I, the ordinary taxpayer, who will be picking up this enormous bill. Think on that a while and tell me that the country is being hard on them to request that they take a bit of a hit like all the rest of us.

Midlife...... 01 July 2011 03:31 PM

PSL

Surely, for that to happen they would have to officially retire, have a leaving party and then apply for their old job so a "new" contract of employment would exist......

Shaun

hodgy0_2 01 July 2011 04:53 PM

I have never read so much whinging bullsh1t in all my life

If teachers have such a great deal, become a fvcking teacher, but please stop whining, every single one of you would reserve the right to protest if your terms and conditions were changed.

It must be irritating to be funding their gold plated pensions, and it must be irritating funding the pension tax breaks of the wealthy too, and according to the House thread it is irritating for savers to fund cheap interest rates.

Here’s the crack though, life isn’t fair, 70% of the world drink out of the same water they sh1t in.

My advice is concentrate on your own sorry life, so become a teacher or get wealthy or own several properties, may even all of the above, but stop whinging

You all remind me of the ginger cvnt in the dinner queue at school, constantly complaining he did not get as much rhubarb crumble as the next person, ffs get a life

f1_fan 01 July 2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 10115429)

If teachers have such a great deal, become a fvcking teacher, but please stop whining

What a hypocrite! They are the ones whining and striking because they have to take a little bit of financial pain, a fraction of that that many of us are having to endure! Or do they have the monopoly on whining as well as being exempt from the economic downturn?

F**k them, I hope they all get sacked!!!

topshot 01 July 2011 05:05 PM

If teachers have such a great deal, become a fvcking teacher, but please stop whining, every single one of you would reserve the right to protest if your terms and conditions were changed.

It must be irritating to be funding their gold plated pensions, and it must be irritating funding the pension tax breaks of the wealthy too, and according to the House thread it is irritating for savers to fund cheap interest rates.

Here’s the crack though, life isn’t fair, 70% of the world drink out of the same water they sh1t in.

My advice is concentrate on your own sorry life, so become a teacher or get wealthy or own several properties, may even all of the above, but stop whinging

You all remind me of the ginger cvnt in the dinner queue at school, constantly complaining he did not get as much rhubarb crumble as the next person, ffs get a life

Erm many of us have faced and dealt with what the teachers are moaning about. My pension was scrapped and my pay frozen for 18 months and still is. Why should teachers be immune?

They need to realise cuts have to be made. They should be grateful of their job security. 15000 people are being laid off from lloyds do you think these are going to worry about teachers pension contributions?

:Whatever_

Luan Pra bang 01 July 2011 05:08 PM

You make a good point, instead of complaining on scoobynet we should send letters of support to the government and our local MP's, praise the work so far, and suggest that all public sector employees should have pensions that are 100 percent funded from contributions.

JTaylor 01 July 2011 05:18 PM

It's a race to the bottom.

tony de wonderful 01 July 2011 06:02 PM

Taxpayers have every right to question how their money is being spent.

I sincerely hope your attitude is not reflected by most Teachers because I find it disgusting and lacking in shame.

TinyTim 01 July 2011 06:16 PM

I heard a rumour that there were other members of the public sector that were striking too!

No doubt teachers in disguise.... C*nts. :Whatever_

hodgy0_2 01 July 2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10115469)
It's a race to the bottom.

too late, I posted the very same over two weeks ago

hodgy0_2 01 July 2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10115518)
Taxpayers have every right to question how their money is being spent.

I sincerely hope your attitude is not reflected by most Teachers because I find it disgusting and lacking in shame.

don't play the idiotic and childish "rights" card

yes off course they have, so have the teachers the right to strike

everyones got loads of rights including posting crap on the internet