ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Libya (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/881377-libya.html)

hutton_d 17 May 2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10043716)
It's only a civil war because the UN intervened, otherwise it would have been a brutally suppressed uprising and the world would have endorsed Gaddafism by inaction. The UK are a permanent member of the UN so we have a duty and an obligation on the world stage - it is our problem. One of the duties and obligations is to follow through on our missions, as we did in the Balkans.

If you don't like that, your position ought to be that you wish for the UK to withdraw its status of permanency from the UN or that you'd prefer the UN to not actually do anything, a la the League of Nations.

If this is to end relatively swiftly, Gadaffi needs to go, and that will be regime change. Leave Gadaffi in place; there's the potential for a long and bloody civil war and stalemate. Don't get involved in the first place? Shelve the UN.

No we don't. We could have abstained at the vote and stated quite clearly that it was a Libyan issue. The Arab countries wanted the no-fly zone. Where are their planes? Where are their armed forces?

As I said, we have no reason to be there. Out asap.

Dave

f1_fan 17 May 2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 10043730)
No we don't. We could have abstained at the vote and stated quite clearly that it was a Libyan issue. The Arab countries wanted the no-fly zone. Where are their planes? Where are their armed forces?

Dave

If only it were a no fly zone and nothing more. It took about a week to breach the terms of the UN resolution and now it is openly talked about as regime change. Another illegal war, another UK prime minister wanting to make a name for himself.

There are plenty of civil wars going on around the globe, why did we feel the need to poke our nose into this one?

JTaylor 17 May 2011 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 10043730)

Dave

Well, I guess it would've been difficult for the UK to have abstained from a motion that it tabled. And the notion that the Arab League were somehow in a position to act simply isn't realistic for the reasons outlined in the first few pages of this thread. Where are their planes and armed-forces? You tell me, but apparently they should be leading this mission! The UN's raison d'être doesn't dissipate because Comet are selling less TVs. History doesn't have a pause button.

f1_fan 17 May 2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10043769)
Well, I guess it would've been difficult for the UK to have abstained from a motion that it tabled. And the notion that the Arab League were somehow in a position to act simply isn't realistic for the reasons outlined in the first few pages of this thread. Where are their planes and armed-forces? You tell me, but apparently they should be leading this mission! The UN's raison d'être doesn't dissipate because Comet are selling less TVs. History doesn't have a pause button.

Wel it shouldn't have tabled it then should it? :mad:

JTaylor 17 May 2011 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10044279)
Wel it shouldn't have tabled it then should it? :mad:

I'll assume by "it" you mean your homeland, the UK. Although, to be fair, when I asked you whether the UK should relinquish its status as a permanent member of the UN you said:

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10044279)
No idea why you keep asking me this? Can't see why we should be a permanent member as it doesn;t exactly heklp us being there. Could we be in a worse mess if we weren't a permanent member? I doubt it!

Well, the UN isn't just about helping "us". It's a bit bigger than that. You've openly stated your admiration for Germany's isolationist stance but the UK doesn't have that luxury, does it? The UK has an historical obligation fullfil. What should the UK do? Rock-up at the UN building in NY and hand in its keys - "sorry, fellas, we're just not getting anything out of it!"?!

f1_fan 17 May 2011 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10044376)
I'll assume by "it" you mean your homeland, the UK.

LOL, I was reacting to your use of the word it instead of us here:

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10043769)
Well, I guess it would've been difficult for the UK to have abstained from a motion that it tabled

Hoisted by your own petard!!!!

hodgy0_2 18 May 2011 01:24 PM

read this and thought of you F1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-exit-strategy

Leslie 18 May 2011 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10043742)
If only it were a no fly zone and nothing more. It took about a week to breach the terms of the UN resolution and now it is openly talked about as regime change. Another illegal war, another UK prime minister wanting to make a name for himself.

There are plenty of civil wars going on around the globe, why did we feel the need to poke our nose into this one?

You are absolutely right about the breaches of the UN resolution.

These world politicians have become too self important for our and their own good!

Les

f1_fan 18 May 2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10045728)
You are absolutely right about the breaches of the UN resolution.

These world politicians have become too self important for our and their own good!

Les

Absolutely. The sad thing is you knew the terms of the UN resolution were going to last no more than a few days from the minute it was issued.

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 10045564)

That about sums up my feelings 100%

What a bloody mess this is. :(

JTaylor 18 May 2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10045744)
That about sums up my feelings 100%.

But he's a journalist, f1, and the Guardian are part of the media. ;)

f1_fan 18 May 2011 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10045755)
But he's a journalist, f1, and the Guardian are part of the media. ;)

So what? What is written there sums up my feelings. That's all I said.

Leslie 19 May 2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 10045564)

I did mention some time ago that they should nominate him as a criminal guilty of genocide and that he should appear before an international court accused of murdering his own people.

I think that rather than kill him which leaves the allies open to accusation of illegal acts, they should somehow arrest him as difficult as that might be.

Les

JTaylor 19 May 2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 10047373)
I did mention some time ago that they should nominate him as a criminal guilty of genocide and that he should appear before an international court accused of murdering his own people.

I think that rather than kill him which leaves the allies open to accusation of illegal acts, they should somehow arrest him as difficult as that might be.

Les

I'd go with that, Les, it would be the ideal outcome. :)

JTaylor 27 May 2011 03:26 PM

"The US president said that meeting the UN resolution could not be achieved while Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi was still in power."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13572830

That's that, then. Let's hope their neighbours, Tunisia and Egypt, learn from history and usher-in free society, and that the Libyans follow suit.

JTaylor 21 August 2011 10:57 PM

The end is nigh.

tony de wonderful 21 August 2011 11:08 PM

It seems that way, things have moved very fast the last week or two; the rebels seemed all at sea just a short while ago.

I think we will see that the Gadaffi regime was all smoke and mirrors when push comes to shove.

Ant 21 August 2011 11:14 PM

i bet he's ****ting it :lol1:

JTaylor 21 August 2011 11:18 PM

Rebels are in Green Square now - it all seems too easy. I just hope the transition's managed properly.

tony de wonderful 21 August 2011 11:22 PM

Gadaffi and his clique need to be brought to justice, they have lots of blood on their hands.

JTaylor 21 August 2011 11:26 PM

The Transitional Council are claiming one of the sons has surrendered. I wonder what senior will do? Fall on his sword, turn himself in?

Ant 21 August 2011 11:35 PM

i hope it's soon i was reading twitter before going to bed and seen it was kicking off so come back downstairs to watch sky news :lol1:

JTaylor 21 August 2011 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ant (Post 10197483)
i hope it's soon i was reading twitter before going to bed and seen it was kicking off so come back downstairs to watch sky news :lol1:

It's a pain in the arse; I'll be up all night glued to the box now.

David Lock 21 August 2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10197454)
Rebels are in Green Square now - it all seems too easy. I just hope the transition's managed properly.

Yeah right :cuckoo:

Who by? Transition to what exactly - good old Western democracy?

Just hang on a few years and see what a tribal/civil way has to offer aside from a load of dead Libyans. You ain't seen nothing yet (sadly).

dl

JTaylor 22 August 2011 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10197507)

Just hang on a few years and see what a tribal/civil way has to offer aside from a load of dead Libyans. You ain't seen nothing yet (sadly).

dl

Hope was the operative word, David. Should Arabs be ruled by dictators forever?

Ant 22 August 2011 12:04 AM

Gaddafi has been detained by the icc.

Night all :thumb:

edit: balls it's his son damn reuters feed

f1_fan 22 August 2011 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 10197507)

dl

Don't be such a pessimist. Look at Iraq - peaceful, stable, a world leading economy and soon to be one of the top holiday destinations in the world. ;) :thumb:

JTaylor 22 August 2011 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10197516)
Don't be such a pessimist. Look at Iraq - peaceful, stable, a world leading economy and soon to be one of the top holiday destinations in the world. ;) :thumb:

Best to leave murderous, brutal crime families in place, yes?

f1_fan 22 August 2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 10197523)
Best to leave murderous, brutal crime families in place, yes?

Like we are doing in Syria you mean?

None of these are our wars to fight!

JTaylor 22 August 2011 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 10197535)

Should we go in to Syria, then? Do you understand why Syria is a different situation? I suspect not.

UNSC says otherwise.

Anyway, we've had this discussion already. Gaddafi's away.

morpheus1870 22 August 2011 12:36 AM

Agree, but we pick and choose what suits us and leave the rest depending on who we see as our Arab friends and who we see as enemies. Look at Bahrain and Syria, double standards from day one.

Little do the UK/US know that right now as we speak, many anti-western organisations are developing highly sophisticated extraordinary close combat fighting techniques to use against all those who oppose them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uPP4Ok2ffs&feature