Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Today I bought this

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2014, 09:33 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today I bought this

Its been 2 months since I sold the old one , being stuck at home on a weekend sucks...so today I bought this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESSACARR-...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 08 March 2014, 10:30 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Mobile meth lab is back up and running then?
Old 08 March 2014, 10:32 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the camper/motorhome club!
Old 08 March 2014, 10:33 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you're one of the ******* I get stuck behind on Dartmoor then!
Old 08 March 2014, 10:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wouldn't a hotel been cheaper?
Old 08 March 2014, 10:56 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
lol guess so
Old 08 March 2014, 10:57 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Welcome to the camper/motorhome club!
cheers
Old 08 March 2014, 10:58 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thenewgalaxy
If you had a faster car you wouldnt have noticed...what you need is a v8
Old 08 March 2014, 10:58 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Wouldn't a hotel been cheaper?
Yes
Old 08 March 2014, 11:24 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Busterbulldog
If you had a faster car you wouldnt have noticed...what you need is a v8
Plenty of oomph from this farty four pot so far as I'm concerned

But would need a helicopter or a tank to overtake one of those mobile homes on Dartmoor roads Stu
Old 09 March 2014, 08:12 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A lot of cars can't keep up with ours ;-)
Old 09 March 2014, 10:24 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Why do I know have Cliff Richards "Summer Holiday" song stuck in my head.

Thanks a bunch

Old 09 March 2014, 10:30 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Long time ago we had a Eldis Autostratus on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 petrol and Alko chassis conversion. The Alko chassis makes a big difference over the leaf springs fitted on the normal chassis.

Engine was a bit gutless, and it blew the head gasket, so while it was apart we had the cylinder head flowed, ported and skimmed to raise the compression slightly, tweeked the ignition timing with a bit more adavance over standard. Then it pulled quite well...enough to go up to 100mph, which is about as fast you'd want to take it as the skylights would pop open past 90mph

Roof was reinforced (unlike some caravans) so you go up there and sunbath or watch the races etc (if parked close enough - we used to go and watch a few moto GPs and truck races ).

Reason why we got rid of it....anti-pikey height restrictions on the majority of UK car parks. It comes to something when a tourist can't park their van to vist a town or even get some shopping!

I use a tent these days. Not as convienient or comfy, but at least I can take the car wherever I like. And I refuse to drag a shed, plus I can't fiot a tow hitch to a R32 anyway.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:46 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

A lot of cars can't keep up with ours ;-)
I haven't driven this one yet,but I am expecting a reasonable bit of oomph from the 2.8 jtd...it cant be a slow as my previous one........although once in a motorhome there is no rush.
Old 09 March 2014, 10:55 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Plenty of oomph from this farty four pot so far as I'm concerned

But would need a helicopter or a tank to overtake one of those mobile homes on Dartmoor roads Stu
lol yeah I guess they go quite well for such a small engine
Old 09 March 2014, 11:04 AM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Long time ago we had a Eldis Autostratus on a Fiat Ducato 2.0 petrol and Alko chassis conversion. The Alko chassis makes a big difference over the leaf springs fitted on the normal chassis.

Engine was a bit gutless, and it blew the head gasket, so while it was apart we had the cylinder head flowed, ported and skimmed to raise the compression slightly, tweeked the ignition timing with a bit more adavance over standard. Then it pulled quite well...enough to go up to 100mph, which is about as fast you'd want to take it as the skylights would pop open past 90mph

Roof was reinforced (unlike some caravans) so you go up there and sunbath or watch the races etc (if parked close enough - we used to go and watch a few moto GPs and truck races ).

Reason why we got rid of it....anti-pikey height restrictions on the majority of UK car parks. It comes to something when a tourist can't park their van to vist a town or even get some shopping!

I use a tent these days. Not as convienient or comfy, but at least I can take the car wherever I like. And I refuse to drag a shed, plus I can't fiot a tow hitch to a R32 anyway.
Crikey a ton in a motorhome...my personal best so far is 82 mph down a gradient on a motorway. Never fancied pulling a shed , to much grief for my liking. As for the height restrictive parking...just dump it somewhere else or stay put and get drunk.
Old 09 March 2014, 11:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, it went quite well considering it was at 6000rpm. It was more happy at 70-80mph, wind didn't seem to affect it too much either (bar the skylights). 0-60 was never great, but it coped. I think the original tuning was taking into account for low grade fuel (92Ron or something ) as when standard it only had 8.3:1 compression (impreza turbos run 8:1 with 14.7psi of boost! ) so obviously on 95Ron it could run more compression and ignition advance.

The problem with it is we couldn't get drunk when we ran out of beer and couldn't get near enough to anywhere within walking distance. Could have rode the bikes, but its not easy riding a bike with a 24pack

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09 March 2014, 06:25 PM
shytorque
Scooby Regular

Its been 2 months since I sold the old one , being stuck at home on a weekend sucks...so today I bought this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESSACARR-...vip=true&rt=nc

Looks pretty good.
Nice and tidy.
Thought something like that would be good when I go and watch my son play cricket, as we are there all day and its good to have the home comforts with you....
Maybe ........
Old 09 March 2014, 07:38 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

Kind of why we chose a California; it's 1.9 metres with the roof down, it has the footprint of a large estate car, it's built on a Caravelle (not Transporter) base so comfortable and well insulated, the 180bhp engine (biturbo) pulls up hills pretty well (I've also done 110 in it with a bit left), it's the only 4wd factory built camper/motorhome and it looks just like any can (slightly smartened up).

Another month off in Europe in it over the Summer; cannot wait!!
Old 09 March 2014, 07:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

You do realise you can book hotel rooms from Premier and similar for £70 and under and if you book in advance you cand get £10-20 quid rooms. It would take a long time to get to your buying figure and these hotels can be right in the city centre where as you damper van would be chased
Old 09 March 2014, 08:16 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Kind of why we chose a California; it's 1.9 metres with the roof down, it has the footprint of a large estate car, it's built on a Caravelle (not Transporter) base so comfortable and well insulated, the 180bhp engine (biturbo) pulls up hills pretty well (I've also done 110 in it with a bit left), it's the only 4wd factory built camper/motorhome and it looks just like any can (slightly smartened up).

Another month off in Europe in it over the Summer; cannot wait!!
Sounds cool ,we have not been abroad yet in one but hope to in this one.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:17 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
You do realise you can book hotel rooms from Premier and similar for £70 and under and if you book in advance you cand get £10-20 quid rooms. It would take a long time to get to your buying figure and these hotels can be right in the city centre where as you damper van would be chased
Oh really, we hadn't thought of that….

If in a City, we stay in hotels but otherwise, the van has given us the best holidays of our lives.

Find a hotel this close to the beach:

Or with this view

Or this view:

Buster - shout if you need any pointers. We've found a few cracking places in Spain and France. Planning to do a bit of Portugal this Summer too.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 09 March 2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:25 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
Theres no comparison....two can stay on a serviced pitch for a weekend for the price of a pizza each ( our faves are £26 for Fri till Monday). Motorhomes barely depreciate...on my previous one I sold it for what it cost after 2 years. We go away most weekends all year round...plus festivals dont tend to have Premier inns with rooms to spare .....some get it some dont I guess...but having one parked in the back garden ready to go at a minutes notice is brill, and having every convenience that you have at home ices the cake for us.
Old 09 March 2014, 08:29 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres no comparison....two can stay on a serviced pitch for a weekend for the price of a pizza each ( our faves are £26 for Fri till Monday). Motorhomes barely depreciate...on my previous one I sold it for what it cost after 2 years. We go away most weekends all year round...plus festivals dont tend to have Premier inns with rooms to spare .....some get it some dont I guess...but having one parked in the back garden ready to go at a minutes notice is brill, and having every convenience that you have at home ices the cake for us.

Bit posher than your last one too Congrats on your purchase, very jealous
Old 09 March 2014, 08:30 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Oh really, we hadn't thought of that….

If in a City, we stay in hotels but otherwise, the van has given us the best holidays of our lives.

Find a hotel this close to the beach:

Or with this view

Or this view:

Buster - shout if you need any pointers. We've found a few cracking places in Spain and France. Planning to do a bit of Portugal this Summer too.
Any pointers will be graciously received. Having never taken one abroad where do I start lol
Old 09 March 2014, 08:40 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Bit posher than your last one too Congrats on your purchase, very jealous
Lol thanks it is a bit posher , I think one needs to own one to get an idea of what you need from one. The old one was a fabulous thing and served us well...I only sold it due to needing the cash and seeing it go hurt much more than watching the Cossie go. This time I got it the right way round...cheap barge better camper....in 18 months my Cossie did 7500 miles my camper did 8500
Old 09 March 2014, 08:45 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be good to hear how you get on with it

I fancy one of these Mallards as I need seat belt seats in the rear

http://www.murvi.co.uk/linkservid/80...09/showMeta/0/

The Mallard in the review is actually my Uncles van
Old 09 March 2014, 09:00 PM
Busterbulldog
Scooby Regular

We wanted to avoid seatbelts in the rear to avoid people inviting themselves along lol
Picking mine up hopefully Wednesday will then camp overnight somewhere Hereford way then drop car back home and head south for a few days to suss it out
Old 10 March 2014, 10:37 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
lol too much of Skyla and Walt for u hehe
Old 10 March 2014, 02:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Our Autostratus cost £12500...we sold it after five years for....£12500.

In that time all it had spent on it was (excluding service work/fuel/tax etc) the engine mods, exhaust and rebuilt front seats, oh a pair of batteries and a set of tyres.

The beauty of being able to jump in and go is great- no need to prepare, just fill it with fuel, dump in some clothes, grab some beer from the offy, and away we go. The once we went to Wales; got bored and decided to go to Ireland instead. Didn't pre plan, didn't pre book, just went.

These days I have to play Tetris with the boot, and pre-book campsites. Or book in hotels, in which case I don't skimp as cheap UK hotels tend to have dire soundproofing; I'd rather sleep outside in a tent than put up with hearing someone's over-exaggerated orgasms at 3:00am in a £30 a night Premier Inn.

Quick Reply: Today I bought this