Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Jaguar XF-R

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2010, 07:37 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XF-R

Late 2009 models can be had for about 40 - 45K with a bit of haggling. 510 bhp RWD. Has anyone any thoughts on these as a car. I know that the first couple of years the *** drops out of the price on them but what do you think their residual prices will be like in say 5 years.

Has anyone driven one could give me a little review. I read the EVO review and they used all the right "buzz" words but i would like to hear an unbiased opinion from genuine car enthusiasts.

TIA

Sinky
Old 01 September 2010, 08:09 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

This is a car I will be watching with some interest as well. I think their value will drop away more dramatically within 5 years making them an excellent 2nd hand purchase in the future. Right now they still seem to command quite a lot of money.

As for the car itself, I haven't driven nor been in one. But they look stunning, especially inside.
Old 01 September 2010, 10:07 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

I was thinking this myself. i know the big Lexus LS430, LS460 were £65 -75K new but 5 years later you can pick one up for about £15k. The XF-R is £60K new, so i am wondering if this will be in this ballpark price range. I certainly hope so. looks like a stunning car. XK-R would be nice but i cant justify what is effectively a 2 seater.

Last edited by bigsinky; 01 September 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01 September 2010, 10:06 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are thinking of buying one you must test drive the M5 as well. The XF-R was covered in superlatives by the press and though I'm sure it's a cracking car I think the UK press can get quite patriotic and biased when it comes to our own cars.

Though I've never driven the XF-R I have the feeling that it won't be as driver focused as the M5. In terms of history Jag have never made a well sorted out R car, and I've driven a few. BMW have obviously turned out quite a few well sorted M3's and M5's.

You may prefer the XF-R but just make sure you try the M5 out as well.

Ps, the M5 also comes with nicer toys (heads up display and the very best adaptive seats I've come across. Vastly better than those in Audi's RS4 and Porsche's version
Old 01 September 2010, 10:24 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

As a big BMW fan having had one in the family for at least 15 years we recently test drove the XF 3.0D S.

I know it is not the R, and I have not driven the M5. However the mags describe the D S as a mini-R many of the virtues at much lower cost.

Having driven both I would say that the XF was a better car. The 5 is good but I do not think the new 5 is as good as the old one.

I would definitely consider a one year old R as our main car. They are very special inside it was an excellent drive.
Old 02 September 2010, 03:50 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

i was fortunate to drive one before they were launched, at the time i drove a scooby with 300+ hp and it was a well sorted car with good mods, the xf would of had it for breakfast on the twisties, i couldnt believe the handling out of such a big car, what also got me was that when you wanted to pootle around in it it also loved doing that, this is by far THE best car i have driven by far, i have also drove the new m5 which dont get me wrong is a very good car but the sheer fact you can just get in the jag and it will be whatever you want it to be wins for me every time, the m5 you have to mess around with to much to get it just right.

Oh and as for the mags being very patriotic dont make me laugh if anything its one thing that they are not and thats a fact
Old 02 September 2010, 06:50 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

These certainly look the part. Think Jag are on to a winner with the XF - it's the first time they'll really offered genuine competition to the usual Merc/BMW options.

Just hope Jag continue developing it, and don't let themselves slip behind the competition.
Old 02 September 2010, 11:20 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

look at this beaut for less than 40K

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1852182.htm