Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW flywheel problem and options!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2010, 01:30 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW flywheel problem and options!!!

I've owned my Passat for 9 months now and apart from a water pump issue which was fixed under warranty its been a great car, quite pokey (Its a 2001 1.9TDi PD130) for what it is and has saved me loads with it being a diesel.

Anyway it looks like something has bit me on my *** and its the dreaded flywheel problem.

During a sustained high speed run (not too high i may add) The car was making a right old rattling noise, i initially thought it was my engine but i suffered little in loss of performance (if any) so carried on and i slowed it down, the noise went and it was fine and i arrived home ok.

Over the last few weeks i have had an intermittent noise from the clutch/flywheel especially when the clutch is pressed. Its funny because it comes and goes, The clutch is slightly juddery i have to say.

I've been told that it is probably my dual mass flywheel and i understand this is a common and expensive fault.

I've been quoted 730 quid to have a new DMF fitted which really has come at the wrong time to be honest.

Anyway i have a few questions:

How long could i possibly limp along as i am before it gives way and leaves me stranded at the side of the road?

Would a single mass conversion be a cheaper and viable alternative, what are peoples experiences with these or should i stick to the DMF?

If so where would anyone recommend a supplier for these?

Again its very intermitttent, it comes and goes but is definetely vibrating more than normal.
Thanks for your help chaps.

P.s. what is it with some diesels? Everywhere i read they have DMF problems or injector problems, The whole point is to save money so whats the point when everytime they go wrong they cost big bucks, i might switch back to petrol - ok rant over.

Thanks again.
Old 27 May 2010, 07:47 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

A friend has just fitted a dual mass flywheel and clutch for £350 all in on a bore tdi sport, it wasn't o.e equipment though, autoparts or something.

Single mass flywheels are very noisy and only really make sense if you are tuning/mapping the engine and going over 220 bhp

Don't know how long your flywheel will last but i've just sold my remapped mk4 golf 150 which was running over 300lbft and the clutch has just gone, had to replace it to sell, not happy!

It's the high pressure diesel fuel systems that these newer cars run with now, any crap in the fuel and it tends to wear out the all of the components, i'm sure someone told me that one of the new john deere tractors diesel engine was so advanced it will not run on red diesel, only white!, apparantly because of the lubricants that white diesel has which red diesel doesn't? don't know how true it is but makes sense
Old 27 May 2010, 10:46 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Could you find out where he bought his flywheel kit from mate.
Old 28 May 2010, 08:25 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

ill give him a shout
Old 28 May 2010, 08:44 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

He got the kit from Bromsgrove motor factors, link here http://www.bromsgrovemotorfactors.co.uk/

Apparantly its a dual mass conversion kit which i've never heard of but it was cheap and ive been in the car which sounds and goes spot on, so good luck with it
Old 28 May 2010, 09:43 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate thats very much appreciated.