Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan Squash-me

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2009, 09:59 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan Squash-me

Hired one of these yesterday - I went for pokeyish hatch class and got one of these. Always keen to try new cars so I grabbed the keys with interest.

Appearance - rather "blobby" and a lot of grey plastic. Not a looker.

Interior - pretty good for a Nissan. Slightly plasticky but well specced, good climate control, slightly fiddly but decent stereo and comfortable seats. Rear visibility is pretty poor. Rear boot was small with a very high lip. Doors clunked shut nicely.

Engine - no idea why power but the 4 pot 2.0 litre pertrol engine actually sounded quite nice - not far off a flat 6. Bit of poke but liked revving; a 4WD needs diesel torque or a turbo'd petrol.

Handling - oh dear. Crashed over small bumps yet wallowed around corners like the suspension was filled with porridge. Road noise/tyre roar made a mobile hands free conversation almost impossible at 80..I mean 70 mph on the motorway. As a comparison, I can just about do the same in our "rough as old boots" Jimny soft top. In our Astra, I can easily talk at 90... I mean 70.

Brakes - very strong, confidence inspiring - which was needed with such poor handling.

The car led me to think "Why?"

If you must have a soft roader and it has to be Japanese made then maybe but the Ford Kuga makes it looks overpriced and rather silly. As does the name Quashqui.
Old 23 June 2009, 01:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

If I had to have a soft roader and it had to be Japanese, I'd have another Forester. The Kuga does look good, though.
Old 23 June 2009, 02:11 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

This did manage a tad over 30mpg and I drove it like a loon. Not easy in a Forester!

They are about 2345235233636 times better though.