Mondeo ST220 Review

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2009, 10:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo ST220 Review

Introduction

Well, I've had the Mondeo for a week or so now and have managed to fit in a mixture of driving in that time allowing me to form a reasonable opinion of the car. With that in mind I've decided to do a little review for the lovers of the "Other Marques" section I have no real motives, other than the fact I like cars and to order my thoughts on them from time to time.

For those that don't know me and my circumstances I was principally looking for a practical family sized vehicle with "toys n' grunt". I wanted something that was spacious, refined and comfortable, and yet, able to switch out of ambling along mode and make reasonable progress across country if required. Ideally, pressing on should provide some enjoyment for the driver rather than being an exercise in frustration.

My vehicle background goes something along the lines of:

1. Polo 1.3cl
2. Saxo VTS
3. MY99 Impreza Turbo
4. Peugeot 406 V6 Saloon (x2)
5. Honda S2000
6. Puma 1.7
7. MY99 STi-5

First Impressions

My overall impression when approaching the car was that it looked chunky, substantial and sporting without being shouty, OTT or adorned with silly styling features. The creases in the bodywork, particularly the bonnet and shoulders, work well without drawing the eye in funny directions, aka Chris Bangle. The shape is familiar (ldo) but it looks sufficiently distanced from rep mondeo's with only the ST TDCI spoiling it's party a little. The interior is also nicely proportioned and functional in appearance with fairly good quality fixtures and fittings used throughout. The Recaro sport seats are comfortable and look the part and the build in sat nav on this model adds a little more interest to the centre of the dash. I was instantly happy when I saw her in the flesh and it looked and felt much better inside and out than my Impreza's or Pugs did. There is little point in drawing comparisons to other cars I've owned as they aren't 4-door saloons/hatches.

Functionality

The space in the car was a big selling point and it's paid dividends already. This weekend we were at a wedding in Oban and, as usual, packed loads of stuff. The boot swallowed everything we chucked at it and normally a load that large would have taken up everything from the front seats back in our Puma (now 2nd car). It was infinitely more pleasing to set off for the weekend without clutter in the cabin and things sloshing around on the back seats. Leg room is excellent and even with my long-legged driving position there is ample room in the back for adults.

Once seated there is plenty to play with in terms of toys and neat features. There is an Aux input in the glovebox and I've routed a cable behind the dash into a pull down compartment near the drivers right knee allowing for easy/safer ipod operation. The sunglasses holder in the roof is nothing new in a car these days but it's the first car I've had with such a feature and is a great/safe place to store my shades. The interior lighting and ambience is excellent and from the get go the controls seemed instinctual and logical. My only gripe is that it's a tight squeeze for your hand to access the seat adjustment buttons when the door is closed and the lack of a memory setting seems quite unforgivable. However, auto wipers, auto lights, one touch control for all windows, electric and heated everything and useful and well place cup holders more than make up for this oversight. I found it easy enough to get a driving position I liked and having driven from London to Edinburgh it's a comfortable cruiser with minimum input required from the driver. In fact, with careful planning and a lapse approach to indication (this btw, is why the japs are right to have indicators on the right IMHO) it's possible to use the cruise control buttons on the right-hand side of the steering wheel to operate the entire car.

The sat nav and climate control module on this car was an optional extra and I'm happy with it so far. The climate control does a good job of achieving and maintaining favourable temperatures and, whilst I have little need for it day to day, the sat-nav is great when needed (this weekend for example). The menu structure took a little getting used to and graphically isn't as glossy as a BMW/Audi but it's fairly easy to figure out how to set things up the way you like it. The touch screen also responds to a 'flick of the nail' meaning I don't have prod it with greasy finger tips. My only grips with the interior are the lack of memory for the seat settings, the slightly naff clock, the boring looking/feeling gear leaver/**** and the instrument binnacle, which again, looks pretty boring/naff compared to some of the more interesting/functional designs we see these days.

Overall, the Mondeo is a spacious, practical and comfortable place to be as either a passenger or driver. It's hard to find fault with the cars interior or features and even wind noise and tyre roar are mostly non-existent below 65mph or so.

On the Move

For those that don't know the ST220 has a 223bhp 3.0-litre V6 and it's more than happy to haul in nearly any gear from as low as 800rpm. In and around town its a dream as you can pull away gently in 1st and directly shift at 10-15mph into 3rd or 4th. A stroke of the throttle and it'll glide up to whatever speed you want without a shudder or compliant. 90-degree turns into side streets can also be executed easily in 3rd at crawling speed and even in 4th if you are willing to carry a little momentum. It's simply not possible to get such an easy and relaxed driving style from any 4-pot engine I've every driven or owned and only my 406 V6's were as easy natured. Pin the throttle at low revs and the car pulls cleanly and with a very linear power delivery right the way to the red line. It's so smooth and progressive that even after a week I still find myself slamming into the limiter often, which is unusual for me as I've usually ultra-accurate as knowing when to shift up. The pull from the engine makes for refined performance and it's associated with a pleasing V6 grown however, there is a serious lack of what JB likes to call 'thrust'. All the power is at the top end from 5000rpm to the limiter and, whilst it will pull comfortably from much lower down the range, you still have to drive it like the S2000 to get the best performance the car has to offer. For overtaking moves, of which I've done plenty now (!!), it's the sort of car where initially you fear you might be in trouble as it starts by crawling past, even on a hard charge, but thankfully you learn it has the legs once it gets into it's stride....again, very like the S2000. My impreza's had thrust, whereby you pull out and seem to immediately dispatch the first car/lorry and then maintain that level of progress past however many more vehicles you dare tackle in the time available. The ST220 starts by almost creeping past the first car but by the 2nd or 3rd the speed differential is considerable and it charges by with ease. Overall, I'm a little undecided on this issue as my old 406 seemed a little thicker in the mid-range but was decidedly weaker at the top end. I guess in some ways I perhaps desire that lazier style of delivery but then I also remember being frustrated by the lack of top end on my 406's when I owned them. As for out-right performance, well, it's acceptable. It was competitive with top of the range saloons and hot-hatches at the time but there is no doubt that the likes of a 335i/d, Audi S4 or current hot-hatch would make mincemeat of it. Times change I guess. It's not fast but then it's not slow either. For comparative purposes, it could pull away very, very slowly on a rolling start vs my mates 225bhp Audi S3 so I'd expect it to be there or there about's with R32's (golf), WRX's (bug+), 330i, etc.

The handling came as a very pleasant surprise this weekend when I had opportunity to throw her about a little. To drive it has way more feedback than my 406's an even my mates e46 M3 in some departments. He complained the brakes needed a good shove to bite but I, personally, felt they were far more progressive than the grabby stoppers in his car. I found heel-n-toe a jerky affair in the M3 but it's far easier to get into a neat rhythm in the Mondeo. Turn in is sharp and accurate and the whole car grips well, communicates well and seems eager to change direction. I read somewhere that it's likened to driving a Puma and it truly is! It dances around like the Puma, which is some 500kg lighter, and even has considerably more out-right grip. However, once it does relinquish it's grip and slide away you become instantly aware that it's a heavy car with a lump of V6 up front. It's almost like it's able to mask physics completely until a point where it gives up entirely and then raw dirty physics takes over again. All in all though, great point-to-point, rewarding and fun but not crashy or bouncy. That said, like the M3 the car tends to skip a little over rutted surfaces and, when under power, the fronts squirm around and follow the ruts making overtaking on tight roads a little more stressful than you'd perhaps hope.

Fuel economy so far has been, well, scary! However, I've been hitting it pretty hard and will seldom settle in a line of traffic, instead I'll be up and down the box picking them off 1-2 or 3 at a time. Oban and back was around 23.5mpg, the run home from London was around 26mpg. Next weekend it's Edinburgh to Aberdeen and I expect high 20's and maybe even 30mpg on that run as the cruise control will likely be set and maintained at around 75-80 the whole way.

Conclusion

Overall I'm very happy with the car and can't recommend it highly enough. Value for money they are hard to beat if you can set aside the fact you drive a Ford Mondeo. It's honestly 90% the car an M3 is IMHO but for waaaaaaaaaaaay less money and ongoing outlay. It's comfortable, well enough built, packed with features and relatively quick, both in a straight line and through the bends.

Pics
(note the unfortunate number plate that will require me to spend a further £250)

Name:  _MG_2389.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  _MG_2392.jpg
Size:  113.8 KB
Name:  _MG_2391.jpg
Size:  122.4 KB
Name:  _MG_2398.jpg
Size:  127.5 KB
Name:  Untitled_HDR2.jpg
Size:  89.5 KB

Last edited by LG John; 15 June 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 14 June 2009, 10:45 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

I had the facelift STTDCI for 6 months and sold it to fund a house move, i miss that car more than i moss my scoob, awesome car and i think the look of it is fantastic, very understated. I am tempted by the V6 model cos i dont do the miles anymore, what can you pick these up for?

has it got the power fold mirrors?
Old 14 June 2009, 10:51 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

Looks great to me
Can't wait to drive one
Old 15 June 2009, 07:36 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah it has power fold windows, just flick the adjuster down to bring them in or put them back out.

I've seen higher mileage pre-2003 facelifts going quite cheap, I think in and around £3k and you can possibly pick them up cheaper than that. £5k buys a decent example and this Feb 2005 with 33k miles stood me £6995 from a dealer, but I had a fair bit of extra work/stuff thrown in for that. 4 new pzero's, all four alloys refurbished with authentic diamond cut polished look, etc.
Old 15 June 2009, 12:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think N/A sixes always seem "slow" compared to a turbo four due to the smoothness and the comparative lack of torque, my dad has an MG ZT 190 which is a way better car than my Saab 9-3 but the Saab is way quicker in a straight line. I had a 1.8 LX MK3 Mondeo, damn decent car, due to the number around they are taken for granted but they are still a decent choice and preferable to drive to some of the higher end stuff in some instances, I am thinking of those diesel Audi's with rock hard suspension and massive wheels that company car drivers go for, the tdi 130 Mondeo was a bit of a revelation when I drove one, gave it some get up and go compared to the 1.8 which wasnt as bad as you would think but needed winding up, I sold mine for a crap Fiat Coupe turbo, you live and learn, taught me that if you are happy with what you are driving, the grass isnt always greener, in fact it may be strewn with Bangle designed turds.
Old 15 June 2009, 02:58 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Yeah it has power fold windows, just flick the adjuster down to bring them in or put them back out.

I've seen higher mileage pre-2003 facelifts going quite cheap, I think in and around £3k and you can possibly pick them up cheaper than that. £5k buys a decent example and this Feb 2005 with 33k miles stood me £6995 from a dealer, but I had a fair bit of extra work/stuff thrown in for that. 4 new pzero's, all four alloys refurbished with authentic diamond cut polished look, etc.

there was a thread on the ST owners club site that told you how to wire the mirrors up so they fold away when you lock the doors, i always meant to do it to mine but couldnt be arsed, it was really easy as well
Old 15 June 2009, 03:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
there was a thread on the ST owners club site that told you how to wire the mirrors up so they fold away when you lock the doors, i always meant to do it to mine but couldnt be arsed, it was really easy as well
That's cool to know Doubt I'll perform the mod as the car is usually in a car-port so little need. If you can think of any other tit-bits of info like that...by all means PM/share I remember reading something about being able to program it to auto-lock the doors as you drive above 5mph. Not sure I really see the need for such a thing though?
Old 15 June 2009, 03:52 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Nice write up, might be nice to have somewhere (maybe a sub forum) where similar, thorough user review can be moved to. Not for general use but to store owners honest write ups.
Old 15 June 2009, 09:09 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, Electric Seats without a drivers memory feature is pants and not worth it imo
Old 17 June 2009, 09:01 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow - Saxo you should work for autocar or similar
Old 17 June 2009, 11:35 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car looks really clean, looks like it was worth the journey It's got a lot of kit for the money and it looks immaculate. If I was looking for something bigger I'd definitely consider one of these
Old 17 June 2009, 12:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to be honest its not my COT but I did drive a vanilla Mondy to yorkshire once and it was probably the most comfortable journey I'd had. We do it alot but take the wifes leon which is great but a bit cramped. The mondy was quite a pleasant drive.
Old 17 June 2009, 12:41 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paulo P
The car looks really clean, looks like it was worth the journey It's got a lot of kit for the money and it looks immaculate. If I was looking for something bigger I'd definitely consider one of these
Yeah, was really happy with it so the journey was worth while. Cheers for the lift btw
Old 17 June 2009, 12:54 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

That looks really nice, actually. Again, not my cup of tea personally but I can understand why you like it.

For those that don't know me and my circumstances I was principally looking for a practical family sized vehicle with "toys n' grunt". I wanted something that was spacious, refined and comfortable, and yet, able to switch out of ambling along mode and make reasonable progress across country if required. Ideally, pressing on should provide some enjoyment for the driver rather than being an exercise in frustration.
You should've bought a Bentley Turbo R, mate
Old 17 June 2009, 01:24 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I like them - that's a fine example too.
They manage to make much more expensive brands look a bit silly.
Old 17 June 2009, 01:56 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I think I'm leaning towards the engine's delivery style annoying me rather than pleasing me. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved top-end heavy engines where you are rewarded for working them, but the downside is that the Mondeo never seems like a quick car unless you rev it and I can't help but feel that overall it would work better with more mid-range grunt. My 406 V6 used to tail off as the revs grew and it was ultimately slower than the ST220. However, for day to day driving it felt thicker between 2.5k-4k rpm and so with short squeezes of the throttle it felt like a faster car. It's not that the Mondeo is slow or anything but when you are doing say, 20mph in 2nd gear and you give the throttle a squeeze to get you up to 40 before settling into 4th/5th for the cruise, it just isn't muscular like some other V6's.

I presume that Ford were attempting to match the zingy nature of a BMW straight-6 (both the 3.0 and the 3.2M) but I'm just not sure it's got the fireworks at the top end to justify the wait. An M3 can feel pretty flat low down at times but at least when you do get into it's powerband it hauls like a *****. At circa 18s to 100mph the Ford can't dish up the same reward or thrills for your patience which is why, most of the time, I'd probably settle for a less sporty power delivery if it meant a meatier feeling at 8/10ths.

It's the same old stuff though isn't it.....compromises, compromises and compromises.
Old 17 June 2009, 05:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Nice review Kenny, car does indeed look very clean.

Like you say, a V8 or turbo(s) are needed for really serious torque, but a 3.0 V6 is never going to be gutless.
Old 17 June 2009, 06:14 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

nice car, seen one in the auctions 2 weeks back
Old 17 June 2009, 10:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

What you want is 288 lbs ft at 2500 rpm, or a Saab as I call it

Still boring despite the power delivery, needs some noise and a personality.
Old 17 June 2009, 10:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

What you want is 288 lbs ft at 2500 rpm, or a Saab as I call it
During my consideration process I really, really wanted to have any desire to own a Saab or Volvo. Ricker remaps and such like were quite appealing. However, I just find their design and nearly everything about them to be boring and old manish. It tilted me pretty hard because their rocketship performance potential, build quality, space and equipment were all plus points. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I've had a life long desire to own a Mondeo, but at least when I approach the car I appreciate it's menacing looks and I'm at least content do drive it. On approach to a volvo or saab I'd notice and be bothered by the many styling atrocities that I consider them to have. Both firms are in dire need of an image reconstruction IMHO.
Old 18 June 2009, 10:51 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I can't stand Saabs nowadays - no model is the least bit interesting, even the quick ones.
Do quite like some Volvos though.

Fords make much better and more exciting cars.
Old 18 June 2009, 02:30 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

I'd be looking to free up a few ponies by ripping the cat out, I would imagine that v6 is quite heavily strangled.

Edit, meant to say, when I removed the cats from my Spec B flat 6 it made a hell of a difference, there was so much more torque low down and revved much more cleanly towards the red line, the noise was great, a free flowing flat 6 makes an awesome sound.

Last edited by G00ner; 18 June 2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 18 June 2009, 05:30 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

During my consideration process I really, really wanted to have any desire to own a Saab or Volvo. Ricker remaps and such like were quite appealing. However, I just find their design and nearly everything about them to be boring and old manish. It tilted me pretty hard because their rocketship performance potential, build quality, space and equipment were all plus points. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I've had a life long desire to own a Mondeo, but at least when I approach the car I appreciate it's menacing looks and I'm at least content do drive it. On approach to a volvo or saab I'd notice and be bothered by the many styling atrocities that I consider them to have. Both firms are in dire need of an image reconstruction IMHO.
I know what you mean, I think yours looks better than a lot of more expensive cars, the base styling is crisper than the Audi A4 of the same time, the kit kind of makes it, as does the colour, its about as good looking as they get but people just assume that because the Mondeo is comme nplace, that it is boring and that an Audi or similar will be better to drive/faster etc because its considered posher which isnt the case. I do like the styling of my current 9-3 Aero, compared to a lot of Saabs and Volvo's it is fairly well proportioned, pretty normal looking and reasonably purposeful, however, I suspect compared to the Mondeo its the other way round, i.e. it looks and is considered better than it actually is.

I personally am not bothered by the Old Man thing as for one thing I am 38 and not pretending to be any younger (will save that for a few years hence), I had a T5 estate aged 27, a massive Audi 100 before that so I am not averse to old man cars, especially as they tend to be pretty good at what they do, more other potential choice was a Volvo S60 T5 and the day I bought mine I went to see a 330i Coupe which is a damn handsome car but sadly only two rear belts.

I think the Saabs and Volvo's attract me because you get a lot of performance for not much money (as they depreciate so heavily) but I think there is an element of "Fools Gold" here, sure its a lot of bhp but I suspect something like the 330i would be a much more satisfying drive despite being slower, Saabs and Volvo's do some things very well but they arent a complete package for the discerning driver, for me its something a bit more interesting than the Vectra its based on for nine grand, its quick, handles ok (honest), seats 5 and has been fairly reliable (it does have an easy life though).

Next time I am going to avoid finding the most bhp at my price level and just go for something a bit more driver focused, still miss my old MK2 Golf GTI and the Fiat 500 (1968) is hillarious fun, well it would be if its engine and box werent in bits in the garage

As for image reconstruction, not sure abotu that, Volvo certainly have been trying to sex up theirs for a while, since about 1994, they were deadly dull before that, the new models seem quite modern looking, I suppose for them it must be difficult to attract new customers without driving away the old, more conservative types that are their mainstay. Saab are lucky just to be existing by the skin of their teeth, its a bit like MG/Rover really so now expect sexed up 9-3's and 9-5's with tarty kits on in lairy colours, a Koenigsegg V12 RWD 9-3 and then receivership
Old 18 June 2009, 10:25 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Interesting stuff Jacko You spit a lot of truth there as well. For me the appeal of a Volvo/Saab has always been their laughable straight line potential. I just don't think I could get bored of this for motorway driving

Obviously this is looking a fair bit down the line, however, I'd fancy a 335i next. That engine simply can't be ignored and the fact you can have it in a family car and tune it to 380-400bhp with grunt all over the rev range is outstanding.
Old 19 June 2009, 09:47 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Saxo - coupe, saloon or Touring? A few of the first two about that look ideal. Not so many of the Tourings though (which I want).
Old 19 June 2009, 02:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Not sure what you're asking me Matt? From the pics the Mondeo is obviously a 4-door and I can confirm it's a hatch as opposed to the saloon. I suspect you are asking about the 335i, in which case I've not given it any thought. It's really just a pipe dream as I intend to hold onto the ST220 for a while and the next car will be to replace the puma....I'm thinking VX220 turbo, Elise 111R....that sort of thing Good combo I feel, something light, RWD and quick + something grunty and practical
Old 19 June 2009, 03:15 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

There is nothing new enough that does the Saab / Volvo thing to the same fun extent these days. My old 9K Aero is about 460ftlbs at 3500rpm, goes nicely and is always fun. Slight issue is everything else feels pedestrian. It also does over 30mpg on a run.

But it's 13 years old.... and that's getting on a bit to say the least. A fast turbo Audi is my natural draw next. Revving the nuts off an S2000 is great fun but for a big car it's nice to have gobs of torque instead.

I do like the ST220 though - and all V6 sound better and are miles smoother than 4-pots. I think it's more like an S220 though?

Last edited by skinters; 19 June 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 29 June 2009, 08:59 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Not so sure I agree about this any longer

On approach to a volvo or saab I'd notice and be bothered by the many styling atrocities that I consider them to have. Both firms are in dire need of an image reconstruction IMHO.
The R Designs (wife just bought the one below) look stunning (from the front anyway )

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/res...olvo_c30_r.jpg

Well written review

Quick Reply: Mondeo ST220 Review