Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda in trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2008, 08:26 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda in trouble?

Looks like rev happy Honda is in big financial ****e.

Out of F1, production down on the Civic and now this....

Honda cancel NSX supercar | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Surprised that Mitsubishi are still going too.
Old 17 December 2008, 08:32 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Ahh gutted. I was going to order one of them, lol.
Old 19 December 2008, 05:31 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Well, the £300m they won't be spending on F1 should help surely? I can't see them being in trouble as such, just being careful?
Old 21 December 2008, 04:57 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere that Mitsubishi are down 70% in the UK.
Honda just may shelve it till times get better
Old 21 December 2008, 07:28 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I have just heard Pennine Honda at Rochdale are closing ,but dont quote me on that .
And the new BMW garage next door is not doing too well .

Maybe they should try selling the cars a at a little more realistic price .Just an idea .!!
Old 21 December 2008, 07:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

They're tightening their belts. Look what Rover did when their finances were in trouble; launched a (sort of) supercar, went racing (BTCC) and the result was catastrophic. Spunked money on no-return attention grabbing whilst trying to fob buyers off with 20yo designs and rebranded third world tat. Anyone doing the exact opposite is sure to do much, much better. Putting development on hold and stopping extravagant promotional gimmicks will see them ride through the current storm, no bother.

Originally Posted by njkmrs
I have just heard Pennine Honda at Rochdale are closing
I believe Robinsons in Rochdale are going into receivership

Last edited by corradoboy; 21 December 2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 21 December 2008, 08:17 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Yes heard about Robinsons as well .Tried their phone number and it rang ,to answer phone .

Its a shame but it seems to be happening everywhere .
Old 21 December 2008, 08:42 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Lol well I'm glad as both those garages are useless IMHO. Pennine Honda at Rochdale are an arrogant bunch of toss bags, years ago 2003 they broke a pipe on the engine of my CTR (breadvan one), didn't claim responsibility - expected me to pay for it, went to another dealer - fixed under warranty.
The BMW dealer opposite never has the right car in - despite the massive show room, (and are not interested in getting it in for test drive), expect you to take a 118D out when your interested in a 130 !

I was under the impression that Robinson was going the import / used cars only route, Showroom was open last week when I went passed

Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 21 December 2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling / tying
Old 22 December 2008, 06:43 AM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I heard a while ago that Robinsons were seperating away from Subaru to sell other models and imports as you say ,but I have heard they are closing .?????

Had a sh*te experience with them in the past myself .Wife kerbed my WR1 a few years ago and wrecked the alloy and suspension .Put it in for repair and was given it back pulling to one side like a demented stallion with the steering wheel way off centre .How crap is that for service .Had to take it elsewhere to get it put right .

Maybe its a common theme here ,for those that are struggling .You reap what you sow I m afraid .
Old 23 December 2008, 02:51 PM
mynickers
Scooby Regular

The trouble for Honda is that they've tried to 'stretch' their brand into the more lucrative and higher margin segment of premium cars. That is no easy thing to do, changing perceptions takes time. And in order to be percieved as a premium brand they have to charge higher prices and not give into temptation to discount and compeat on price as as all the budget and main stream brands do.

Toyota just started up a brand new brand (Lexus) and Honda did the same in US (Acura), which is easier in a lot of ways. Other brands that have moved up in the market like Skoda have done so by being bought out by VW, but even so, if you drive one at least one person will tell you you're driving an upsidedown skip with wheels. Perceptions are slow to change, so keeping up the high premium pricing policy in a very tough market is bound to have a major impact on their sales.

As someone said above they're doing the right thing to cut back spending to ride the storm, they're a very big company with many interests I doubt they're going to go under. They're the biggest engine manufacturer in the world, they make lawnmowers, generators, jet engines, you name it..
Old 23 December 2008, 09:34 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Hardly surprising they've cancelled this really - let's face it there aren't going to be queues of buyers lining up to put down deposits in the current climate...