Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Toyota RAV4

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2008, 01:48 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota RAV4

Just had a scan of the search function and never really turned up much... so what I'm wanting is a bit of advice about the Toyota RAV4.

I need a runaround and have been offered:

1998 RAV4 3dr
Metallic Green
1 Years MOT
127k miles
Full Service History
Lots of spec, all electrics work etc.. and 4 new tyres.
£1,000 ono

Is this a reasonable option for running around in, leaving in supermarket car park, taking the dog out (without rear seats in) and general runaround duties??

Are these all permanent 4WD??

Are there any problems that I should have a poke around for??

Will it do 30mpg average if driven normally??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27 October 2008, 02:04 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

RAV4 is a fine car
Old 27 October 2008, 03:09 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Just had a scan of the search function and never really turned up much... so what I'm wanting is a bit of advice about the Toyota RAV4.

I need a runaround and have been offered:

1998 RAV4 3dr
Metallic Green
1 Years MOT
127k miles
Full Service History
Lots of spec, all electrics work etc.. and 4 new tyres.
£1,000 ono

Is this a reasonable option for running around in, leaving in supermarket car park, taking the dog out (without rear seats in) and general runaround duties??

Are these all permanent 4WD??

Are there any problems that I should have a poke around for??

Will it do 30mpg average if driven normally??

Cheers,
Grant
Grant

My wife and I have owned many different makes over the years, and without a shadow of a doubt, our olf M reg Rav was (is) the best car we have owned.

100% totally reliable - apart from one Winter when we left the car outside for a 4 week holiday, and we had to replace the battery.

Under £200 for a main dealer service.
Under £300 for full comprehensive insurance.

Only sold in May 2008 as mileage was 112,000 and I was putting 1,000 miles on her each month.

Things to check:
2.0 GX/GS - permanent four wheel drive - look underneath for any signs of off road damage.
Timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles or so.
Central locking.
Rear door - the rear door is fairly heavy with the spare wheel mounted on it, so look for a silver door stay bar to see that it isn't bent.
Twin sunroofs -check the rubber seals are fitted ok.
Locking wheel nuts - make sure you get the key!

Apart from the obvious when buying a used car, Ravs are great fun, handle very well and are "ultra" reliable.

Super cars.

The car was facelifted a couple of times before the current model came out.

Also tend to driven by "nice" people and you don't get any aggro from other road users:

Old 27 October 2008, 03:35 PM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

There an excelent car. We have the diesel and is used as our main car. So easy to work on everything at hand so serviceing is very easy.
Old 27 October 2008, 05:37 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

My ex ran a 98 RAV4 for 5 years without a single issue. Can't think of a single bad thing to say about it, apart from possibly tyre wear which I thought was quite high.
Old 27 October 2008, 06:23 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Thats the car I've been offered... I've not had a proper poke around it yet, but I really appreciate the feedback on them so far, specially Etheridge-Bird.. very helpful and I'll make sure to have a wee look at those areas.

I was assuming that they'd be reliable given Toyotas reputation and providing that the service history is there to back up the mileage. Its good to hear that I wasn't wrong, will probably go for a look and drive of it this week sometime.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27 October 2008, 06:56 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

my wifes Rav 4 was faultless, had the auto so it was a bit thirsty, never went wrong, always started first time,service was reasonable, they are a good buy.Typical Toyota.

Trending Topics

Old 28 October 2008, 01:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS Grant

Thats the car I've been offered... I've not had a proper poke around it yet, but I really appreciate the feedback on them so far, specially Etheridge-Bird.. very helpful and I'll make sure to have a wee look at those areas.

I was assuming that they'd be reliable given Toyotas reputation and providing that the service history is there to back up the mileage. Its good to hear that I wasn't wrong, will probably go for a look and drive of it this week sometime.

Cheers,
Grant
Grant, that looks pretty clean form the pictures.

We had a GS (entry level 3 door) in 1997 which we bought new. It was an absolute blast to drive and surprisingly quick off the mark. Nothing went wrong with it in 2 years of ownership.

I'd echo what's been said above, plus don't be put off by a slight soft "thud" from the rear diff on anything but a smooth gearchange. Some of them did it from new - down to rear diff mounts I recall.

Rear seats fold forward, leaving room for the shopping/dog, etc. With the seats in place the boot is non existant.

Ours only got sold because we took the plunge into Impreza ownership.

The mark one and mark two RAVs are great cars
Old 09 November 2008, 11:37 AM
miles25
Scooby Regular

What's the mpg on the manual diesel like?
Old 10 November 2008, 02:38 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
RAV4 is a fine car
Don't get me started on Toyota and Rav 4's. Owned mine for 8 months from new and sold it for what I could get !!! Toyota admitted "Off the record" the car had a paint fault but "on the record" they told me it was within acceptable tolerances and if I was not happy I should sue the dealer. Washing and polishing the car made it look like it had been keyed and bird lime ate through the paint within one hour down to primer. Car looked like complete **** when I sold it and the dealer and Toyota service was shocking.

Never again