Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Passat estate tailgate release question

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2008, 02:31 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Passat estate tailgate release question

What function does the boot release button serve in the driver's door (next to the fuel filler cap relase button) and thge one on the key fob? On the saloon it pops up the boot-lid, but on my new estate it doesn't seem to do anything. I have been telling myself that VW don't want you to inadvertently open the tailgate and damage it in a confined space (eg. when parked under a low roof, or close to a wall etc), so you have to get out of the car and go around to the back to open it. But I can't help wondering that if this is the case, why have they kept the bloody button in the driver's door and the big button on the key fob?

Last edited by Turbo2; 29 September 2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 29 September 2008, 08:25 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
What function does the boot release button serve in the driver's door (next to the fuel filler cap relase button) and thge one on the key fob? On the saloon it pops up the boot-lid, but on my new estate it doesn't seem to do anything. I have been telling myself that VW don't want you to inadvertently open the tailgate and damage it in a confined space (eg. when parked under a low roof, or close to a wall etc), so you have to get out of the car and go around to the back to open it. But I can't help wondering that if this is the case, why have they kept the bloody button in the driver's door and the big button on the key fob?
Hi, The boot relaese unlocks the boot not opens it, say if you want to go to the car and just enter the boot if you press and hold the button on your fob it will unlock the boot but keep the car locked then when you shut the boot it will reset the alarm, the same as on the door if you are in the car and need to enter the boot press the button on the door and the boot will unlock.
You can as a factory option have powered tailgate opening/closing but this is for very lazy people in my opinion.
Old 29 September 2008, 10:14 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
You can as a factory option have powered tailgate opening/closing but this is for very lazy people in my opinion.
I had an electric tailgate on my Accord Tourer (standard) and it`s very useful.
Old 02 October 2008, 07:43 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Volks
I had an electric tailgate on my Accord Tourer (standard) and it`s very useful.
No offence mate but the passat's Closure button is on the actual tailgate so you still need to raise your arm to reach the button to allow the tailgate to shut, 2x massive motors under the headlining to open and close a tailgate seems a little too much to me.
Old 02 October 2008, 08:59 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
No offence mate but the passat's Closure button is on the actual tailgate so you still need to raise your arm to reach the button to allow the tailgate to shut, 2x massive motors under the headlining to open and close a tailgate seems a little too much to me.
The Accord also had a closure button on the tailgate. However you could also open and close it using the button on the key fob. It was mainly used by my missus who used to pop the button on the way to the car after visiting the supermarket.

I think the Accord only has a motor on the nearside and the bulge in the headlining was hardly noticeable......