Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Peugeot 307 impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2002, 11:08 AM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Had a 307 as a rental car for two days and did 260kms in it.

Petrol engine (not sure what size) was smooth enough but not very powerful.

Folding wing mirrors are a laugh (but I guess you Mk1 WRX owners already know aout that).

Impressive ABS system which triggers the hazard warning lights to flash about 5 times if you do attempt a particulary abrupt halt.

You can get the ABS to trigger without setting the Hazard lights off so it must be slighty more sophisticated than just a simple ABS on : Hazard Warning lights on set up.

Stability Control (don't know what PSA call it) makes tearing round a roundabout a little disconcerting and not very enjoyable, controllable understeer is a known evil but when you start feeling the brakes trying to intervene it might be safe but who's driving!).

The wipers were rain sensing. The novelty wore off in about 5 mins.

The lights switch had an Auto setting but i couldn't work out how that wored as I drove into an underground carpark and that did not trigger them to come on.

No on to foglights! Ah ha!

You rotate part of the column stalk once to put the front fogs on and again to put the rear one on. You rotate it the other way to put the rear one off and again to put the front ones off.

I would have though that you would want to put the rear one one by itself more often than not as this protects you from being hit from behind in really bad visibility.

Dare I say it but insisting that having the front ones on first is a temptation to indulge in that most reviled behaviour of driving with them on when they are not legally allowed ie. In fog, I sometimes follow a leading car and keep my rear fog light on (if there is no one behind me). I would always switch my front ones off so as not to dazzle the leading car and if anyone came up behind me I would switch my rear one off too as they would have done their job but that time.

Incidently, the design of the 307 headlights incorporates the fog lights so that it is becoming increasingly difficult to tell if you are being followed by a car with its fogs on or just some badly adjusted (or overly bright) dipped beams!

Does the STi Type UK have fogs in the main unit too? I guess that is the way things are going.

Maybe they could build in a proximity sensor to the fog lights or some method of determining real visibility.

The 307. It may be COTY but it holds little appeal for me.

Discuss.

[Edited by Stephen Read - 2/7/2002 11:15:29 AM]