Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mitsubishi FTO

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2002, 01:03 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any1 got 1? driven 1? what they like, a bit slow arnt they?
Old 31 January 2002, 01:30 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

For what they are, they're more than a bit slow. 2.0l V6 24 valves that cant get under 7 seconds to 60 and with no better in-gear acceleration, equals one seriously flawed car, even a Teg can go as fast as one, and thats with its 1.8 4 pot.

Dunno, look okay from certain angles, but there are better sports coupe's out there, though at the price, it always seems to be a compromise between looks and performance, unfortuanately

Old 31 January 2002, 01:49 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

They handle beautifully and their exhaust note is probably the best you can buy for the money. They have an 8000rpm redline which seems to always be at least 2000 rpm from where you are.

High revving vtec/mivec engines tend to need to be worked and this is no exception.

Performance is almost as good as an integra type r but it does pip it to the post, handling is slightly inferior but very little in it. Saying that the engine must be less stressed than the hondas (which also sings a great tune).

The trouble is neither has any torque and both feel gutless. 200bhp but about 120lbft. Having driven with 300lbft for some time, I just cannot put up with that.
Old 31 January 2002, 02:27 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

hmmm thats what i thought, u see i got a corrado g60 coupe and its got 185 bhp and 200 lbs of torque but i want something mega quick but reliable and i dont think the fto is what im looking 4! looks nice though!!!
Old 31 January 2002, 02:30 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Smile

the FTO is a nice car i like em, but i would not want one. they are slow, ive had a little race with one and i was shocked. all round a nice car i think, but not a touch on the scoob.
Old 31 January 2002, 03:50 PM
Tractor
Scooby Regular

Mega-quick but reliable? That would be an Impreza Sti my friend. You can pick up a realy mint Sti2 for some way under £10k with lowish mileage if you know what you're looking for, and the owner has realised it is no longer worth the £12k they're asking.....

How does 280bhp and 240 lbs ft of torque STANDARD grab you? A few mods will push it higher still.

Mike
Old 31 January 2002, 03:57 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

hmmm that impreza was on my short list but reading posts on this site has made me have second thoughts, not as reliable as i thought, expensive to run and when go wrong the cost loads of dollas, my dream car was a lancer evo4/5/6 but they seem to be more expensive to buy and just as to run etc..... thats why ive been thinking of an M3, not really what i want but they are mega reliable and very very fast! i dont knwo what i will end up with but it's got to do 60 in less thatn 6 sec and reach 150+ mph
Old 31 January 2002, 04:31 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Errr dont know where you got the idea that they re unreliable from.

A well maintained impreza especially te older ones are very reliable. When people start to play they can wrong, and things such as coil packs can go, but this is not far off needing new plugs and should be considered as a consumable.

Running costs of an evo are significantly more due to service interval and fuel consumption, not to mention insurance.

I never had one problem with my wrx. I have problems with the 22B but these are self generated as a result of my tinkering. Left standard nothing that has happened (except one) would ahve occured.
Old 31 January 2002, 04:45 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

firstly a car that goes from 0-60 in 7 seconds, 0-100 in 19 seconds and has a top speed of 140+mph is not slow.

Not as fast as a scoob but then again it doesn't have a f*cking turbo charger on it. Also the FTO doesn't look like a brick.

I liked my FTO, whilst it may not be the quickest coupe around it handles very well and the V6 is very smooth. Drinks petrol tho, and in my eyes the performance vs petrol just wasn't worth it.

I've raced scoobs and won - it's a case of knowing where the power is, once in the mivec range it will out accelerate a sccob, unfortunaely once you change gear the scoob goes past.

Remember about 90% of FTO's are Tips which to all extents and purposes is an auto box. The manuals ae a bit quicker, but moreover are more responsive.
Old 31 January 2002, 04:48 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Integra R - the type R also weighs a lot less than an FTO.

Hardly a masive difference in engine size 1.8 to 2 litre, bet the FTO is a lot smoother than the teg.
Old 31 January 2002, 05:15 PM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Matt, sorry to split hairs, but its 7.3 secs to 60, which puts it half a second slower than the Teg, which isnt very fast to begin with.

I know, owners will say they got this speed and that at Pod or whatever, but then so do owners of all cars get better or worse speeds than manufacturers quoted, but for the purpose of comparison, probably best to go with manufaturers quoted figures.

I just feel that for a V6 2.0l car, it should perform better, but I suppose it is more refined than the faster competition.

Hey mozza, why not follow my investigation, GTV 6, pretty quick, look great, and are fantastic inside.
Just the reliability issues Im looking into, its tough to find a car that does it all.
Old 31 January 2002, 07:30 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

i would like to being italian myself ive always had a softspot for alfas and the integrale BUT i got my heart set on something really mad to drive, massive accelleration and big top end loads of noise and outragous looks, i want it all!!!!!!

if only i could stretch and bring myself to get a lancer but i think they are too much to start with and mega expensive to run and repair, thats why i was think about an impreza but bit worried about costs and jap imports etc... my cousin had an M3 and it was awesome, very reliable all that he had to do is change 1 bulb. i dont know what i will get nothing for the next 6 months methinks need to save up some dollas!!
Old 31 January 2002, 08:41 PM
Mosser
Scooby Regular

Have you considered a Seat Leon Cupra?, chipped they are mega reliable(212Bhp, 235Lb/Ft torque), good mpg (31) and will keep up with a wrx impreza no probs!!, not so quick on the initial acceleration because of the FWD, but once youve got it rolling it is a really good car!!, and only 15K brand new, or £9k a year or two old with 10K on the clock !
Old 01 February 2002, 02:37 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Drove a semi-auto one. My HONDA SIR definitely felt faster. I also didn't like the hairdryer noise from the engine. Handles quite nicely and brakes are fine. Looks ok too.

That my two pence worth.
Old 05 February 2002, 08:27 AM
The RingMaster
Scooby Regular

Dont bother with the FTO, its a girls car ;-)

It's pretty gutless, fwd, soft and over-priced.

If your in a scoob and lose a race to an FTO
you should be shot !

Justin
Old 05 February 2002, 08:51 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Justin

how do you work out oveerpriced? The FTO was available from 1994> Are you an expert on used car values for grey imports over this time period?

If you want a good looking, reasonably quick decent handling coupe the FTO has to be on the shortlist.

As for the sound, well stick an induction kit and exhaust on it and it sounds like an Impreza!
Old 05 February 2002, 09:14 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Justin,
Thought you were happy with yours now that we gassed it (NOS)

:-)
Old 08 February 2002, 08:31 AM
The RingMaster
Scooby Regular

I bought an FTO for my wife, christ knows why she INSISTED on
an FTO, I tried to buy her an M3evo conv, but she had to have an FTO.

It was painfully slow, so good old Nigel <above> helped by
fitting a 50bhp nitrous kit, this has helped a GREAT deal,
fitted an HKS Super Drager and it sounds.....ok I suppose.

Its still too soft, un-involving drive, average build quality,
and VERY VERY VERY over-priced.

Decent FTO's go for £7k-£10.

Mmmm, I can pick up a 180mph, fast as f11ck, supra twin turbo
for that, a 300zx tt and lots of change, two sunny GTiR's,
a mint scoob or even a Ford RS500....are you getting my point
now on value ? All these cars would make an FTO look very very silly.

On the plus side, my wife *LOVES* her FTO, she thinks its brilliant
and wouldnt swap it for a Ferrari360.

Thats women for you.

Old 08 February 2002, 10:53 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Yeah, there are better cars for the money, and I think they run a very high insurance group too, as most (all?) are imports.

Supra would be good, but again, whats your insurance record like?
Old 08 February 2002, 12:37 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

if by value you mean the fastest car for a price range, then yes you can get better cars.

But for me the top speed of a car doesn't mean it is the best value.