Building Track Car Starter Kit

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2008, 10:00 PM
andysubaru3089
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Track Car Starter Kit

Hi folks,
I was wondering if anyone could give me a website or company where you can buy starter kits for building a track day car.I hear you can build them for less than £5000 and its a good way to know around cars and building ones.Cheaper and easyier the better. Any Thoughts Guys
Old 29 April 2008, 10:37 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

unless your serious about a track car (which im guessing your not because you only have a 5k budget) your better off buying a sh1tter rear wheel drive car for £500 and tharshing it till it breaks! and as it only costs £500 you dont care what happens to it and then buy another this way you'll only spend £500/£1000 a season plus the cost of the track days of course, which you would pay reguardless of the car. it doesnt matter how fast it is, it's how much you dont care about it that is relevant to how much fun you can have! ie drive it like you stole it!! but if you've invested £5k you may be inclined to be a little cautious unless you have bottomless pockets? in which case you wouldnt be asking the question. in answer to your question a decent "track car" will cost you in the order of £15k if its a subaru and on top of that theres the running costs! ie 1 set of slicks 1 set of wets cos if you've invested £15k you want to make the most of it! then theres pads and propper maintainance which means new oil and filter every couple of outings and new tyres especially if you go on disused airfields and they cost £500 a set. i would sugest you try the former first then if you get a taste for it you can enter into the world that is track day folly! ultimatley its a bottomless pit if you want somthing that realy floats your boat!!!!
Old 29 April 2008, 10:59 PM
andysubaru3089
Scooby Regular

No but am talking about a open seater kit car, you get starter kits to build up, was wondering how i can get info on that side of things
Old 30 April 2008, 07:40 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine is building an MK. Might be worth looking at their web site.
Old 30 April 2008, 09:38 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
unless your serious about a track car (which im guessing your not because you only have a 5k budget) your better off buying a sh1tter rear wheel drive car for £500 and tharshing it till it breaks! and as it only costs £500 you dont care what happens to it and then buy another this way you'll only spend £500/£1000 a season plus the cost of the track days of course, which you would pay reguardless of the car. it doesnt matter how fast it is, it's how much you dont care about it that is relevant to how much fun you can have! ie drive it like you stole it!! but if you've invested £5k you may be inclined to be a little cautious unless you have bottomless pockets? in which case you wouldnt be asking the question. in answer to your question a decent "track car" will cost you in the order of £15k if its a subaru and on top of that theres the running costs! ie 1 set of slicks 1 set of wets cos if you've invested £15k you want to make the most of it! then theres pads and propper maintainance which means new oil and filter every couple of outings and new tyres especially if you go on disused airfields and they cost £500 a set. i would sugest you try the former first then if you get a taste for it you can enter into the world that is track day folly! ultimatley its a bottomless pit if you want somthing that realy floats your boat!!!!
It depends entirely on what sort of trackdays you want to do. I think you can get a decent trackday car built for £3k if you like, certainly no need to spend £15k and upwards.

My 205 cost £8k to build and is an awesome trackday car, its also a good road car as its standard looking.

I'm now selling it for around the £5k mark, and I would suggest to the OP buying something that has already had some of the trackday work done - suspension, brakes, engine etc.

Last edited by Dream Weaver; 30 April 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 30 April 2008, 10:21 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If you get hold of a book by Mike Costin called Racing and Sports Car Chassis Design from the library and study it, you could do the same as me and design and build your own racing car from scratch for a fraction of the price.

The info' in the book is excellent and just as relevant today as when it was written.

Les
Old 30 April 2008, 12:58 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LocostBuilders if it's a seven type car your after.
Old 30 April 2008, 06:16 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

MK

home 1
Old 30 April 2008, 06:26 PM
andysubaru3089
Scooby Regular

I want to build something like a chaterham but obv for under 5k.There must be starter kits that you buy each time to build it up,am into motorsport already,co-drving in scottish rally championshp but just want sometihing i can learn to build up on a lo cost budget and can run on any typ of tarmac.someone must know what i mean lol
Old 01 May 2008, 07:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Did you not look at the link I posted? That no good for you?