Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Evo X versus RB320

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2008, 09:58 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo X versus RB320

Well today was the day - I decided to go for a test drive of the new Evo X to compare it with the RB...

Firstly the looks:

So then we went out to play...

I was driving the GSR 300 SST model...

For those who aren't aware this is their 6 speed Auto, paddle shift version, 0-60 in 4.7, list price around £32k so not too far away from the RB...

Internals:

Good level of spec - Combined Sat nav, dvd player, cd player (with HDD to store your CD's - play them once they're always available), Rain sensitive wipers, Turning headlights, fogs, mode change for the auto box (test drive was in sports - there's also a super sports akin to the sports sharpon the STi 08)...

Comparisons with the RB - more internal space, especially for rear passengers, seats offer far more support, overall interior looks a bit plain but no more so than the RB - level of kit wise - I'd say 1-0 to the Evo Versus the new STi - comparable space inside, boot might be a touch larger on the new STi

Exterior:

Looks aggressive yet looks a bit more refined than the RB - for example look at the rear spoiler - looks more as part of the car as oppose to bolted on... Front lip looks more aggressive on the RB... Scoop also looks more aggressive on the RB - I'm going to call it a draw I'm not going to compare it to the new STi as it's a touch unfair

Driving:

Aah the all important bit - my test drive was a mix of country roads and dual carriageways...

Firstly - The noise - or lack of! No RB growl - A bit like the STi 08 in that there's very little cabin noise although to compare the 2 - The evo sounds like it's built better and keeps the noise out as oppose to the STi 08 not making it in the first place... Rb sounds nicer as you take it down the road...

Suspension - I have to admit the Evo strikes a nice balance of grip and feel without the overall shaking ride... RB feels quicker on the road at the same speed as the Evo - if you move to one from the other watch the speedo because you will be surprised Evo is harder than the new STi and provides a lot more feel - even when you're testing to see if the yaw control works

The gearbox - An Auto gearbox on a performance car - what on earth were Mitsi thinking - that was my initial view... But OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An Auto box that holds revs (3k revs, back off and it doesn't just decide to move up a gear!), slowing down and it gears down and revs the engine to give you some engine braking, abuse it it down a road and it's changes are remarkably quick...
But hang on - it's got paddles - let's play Paddle shift like no other I've tried - The secret here is that it's twin clutch - you're in third and acceleratting - it's already got fourth hooked up and ready to play - go for the change and before you realise it it's already there Versus the RB with quick shift - sorry but that can now be christened slow shift

Overall drive verdict - slightly different animals - the RB is more focused (not neccesarily quicker down the same road), the Evo is more refined but still with that animal edge - For everyday I'd say the Evo wins, for track the RB - Overall I'd say the Evo edges it Versus the new STi it's clearer cut and the Evo is ahead by a mile...

Cost - Well to be honest the Evo is slightly more than I paid for the RB - but spec the RB up to the same level and the Evo's cheaper... Versus the new STi at 25k? Well let's add the Sat Nav/DVD etc, £1.5k?, PPP When it comes out but let's say 1.5k and now we're looking at £28k versus £32k before we start talking about 18" wheels (standard on the Evo) and some of the other toys it comes with... If you're stretching to make the money to get the new STi it's not a competition but if you're speccing one up then they're on a par....

Final verdict:

3 questions:

1. Would I trade in my RB today to get an Evo GSR SST?

2. If I was buying a new RB tomorrow would I get that or an Evo GSR SST?

3. If I was buying a new STi tomorrow would I get that or an Evo GSR SST?

Well the answers are:

Keep the RB...

Get the Evo

Get the Evo

Obviously all IMHO, no speed limits were broken or animals harmed in the making of this rather amateur review
Old 26 April 2008, 10:09 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

RB320=rip off by Subaru UK.

people must of been stark raving mad to fork out top dollar for this model
Old 26 April 2008, 10:12 PM
darren...
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker

I disagree - compare it with an STi (UK), add PPP, 18" wheels and then the suspension - if you were going to buy an STi and keep it standard it's not for you - if you were going to mod then it's an interesting path...

Add in the limited build number and the effect on residuals and it's a valid choice IM biased HO
Old 26 April 2008, 10:52 PM
Jeff Stryker
BANNED

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker

I agree 100%
Old 26 April 2008, 10:58 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

Must admit, that Evo is something else
Old 26 April 2008, 11:52 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

My choice i would get a spec c type ra.The evo looks like a weird Volvo
Old 27 April 2008, 01:34 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs up

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/IMG_4257.jpg

RB320 wins on looks IMHO, gorgeous car!

TX.
Old 27 April 2008, 07:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Been ages since I actually read a thread that discussed a subaru or an EVO in any detail. Anyway I read this one and quite enjoyed it. Well done for spending the time doing it
Old 27 April 2008, 08:07 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I prefer the looks of the scoob to be honest. The evo looks so tame and everyday! It could blend in with Alfas and volvos! I bet it was a great drive though
Old 27 April 2008, 04:29 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

its certainly more understated then the evo 9...this however http://www32.homepage.villanova.edu/...vooooo_RA1.jpg
WOW
still think your rb is better looking then the evo u tried imo
Old 27 April 2008, 04:46 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
I prefer the looks of the scoob to be honest. The evo looks so tame and everyday! It could blend in with Alfas and volvos! I bet it was a great drive though
Yes, but throw a few choice bits at it and it will look far from tame.

Old 27 April 2008, 05:53 PM
DB07P1
Scooby Regular

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
Old 27 April 2008, 06:44 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

How similar the evo looks like at the rear to the new lexus is200? Especially despoilered!
Old 27 April 2008, 06:50 PM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very good read - thaks for sharing Darren
Old 03 May 2008, 06:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Personal opinion, but the Evo looks much more up to date, stylish and aggressive. Yes, it shares some features with other marques, but the Scoob looks lumpen and clumsy in comparison. The rear lights on the Scoob are too big and dominate what is already a big butt. The spoiler doesn't integrate with the overall design and looks plonked on and awkward. The curves and bulges make it look overweight, whereas the Evo has a clinical, razor-sharp look with all its features complimenting. I love Scoobs, but in those pics the Evo just leaves it for dead IMHO. I've not driven an 'X', and my past experience of Evo's has left me disappointed with the electronic driver aids removing feel and enjoyment in favour of quite astonishing speed, leaving me preferring the hands-on involved feeling of Scoobs. I shall definitely drive an 'X' before I consider another Scoob though.
Old 03 May 2008, 10:21 PM
alackofspeed
Scooby Newbie

Did you notice the EVO throwing unburnt fuel out of the back? I followed an EVO X 330 today, and every time the driver put his foot down, clouds of unburnt fuel erupted from the exhausts - those unaware of what an EVO is, would have thought it were diesel powered (that's totally serious).
Old 03 May 2008, 11:30 PM
dave247
Scooby Regular

them wheels on the evo look no where near 18's lol, they look about 15
Old 04 May 2008, 08:05 AM
madisonmonkey
Scooby Senior

Latest issue of EVO magazine, Evo X get's fairly well beaten by the 08 STI.
Makes for an interesting read and is the first time I can recall a subaru victory over mistubishi in the history of the two models.

16 to 17 MPG and a range of 150 miles per tank in the Evo
That should make sales interesting with the current fuel situation.

The Subaru's over a second quicker to 100 and gets to 130 4.5 seconds before the Evo.

With the price difference in the STI's favour the only reason to even consider the Evo is looks and if that was of any importance the potential owner wouldn't even be considering these two brands...
Old 04 May 2008, 10:19 AM
markGT
Scooby Regular

In the Autocar video by Steve Sutcliffe they do a 0-100 in both cars. The EVO posts a terrible 14.9 seconds, the STI 12.7. The EVO is right lardy car, If I was going to by an EVO again I'd stick with a IX.
Old 04 May 2008, 03:11 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

RB320!

You should not have wasted so much bandwidth in the first place by comparing them!
Old 05 May 2008, 10:16 AM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darren...
Well today was the day - I decided to go for a test drive of the new Evo X to compare it with the RB...

The gearbox - An Auto gearbox on a performance car - what on earth were Mitsi thinking - that was my initial view... But OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An Auto box that holds revs (3k revs, back off and it doesn't just decide to move up a gear!), slowing down and it gears down and revs the engine to give you some engine braking, abuse it it down a road and it's changes are remarkably quick...
But hang on - it's got paddles - let's play Paddle shift like no other I've tried - The secret here is that it's twin clutch - you're in third and acceleratting - it's already got fourth hooked up and ready to play - go for the change and before you realise it it's already there Versus the RB with quick shift - sorry but that can now be christened slow shift

Obviously all IMHO, no speed limits were broken or animals harmed in the making of this rather amateur review
Just to point out that the gearbox is not an auto - as you quite rightly said later in the paragraph - it is a twin-clutch system (autos don't have clutches they have torque converters) so it will stay in whatever gear you keep it in for as long as you want (unless you are doing something foolish that the electronics want to avoid damage)
Nice write up though - EVO mag might give a good write up to the STi but it's down to individual preference at the end of the day.

Last edited by craigdmcd; 05 May 2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10 May 2008, 08:11 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Went and had a look-see at the 'X' yesterday and confirmed my opinions. Styling-wise it is leagues ahead of the new Impreza, even the fettled STi. I was particularly impressed to see various components which usually reside under the bonnet (battery, washer bottles and pumps, AYC bottle) had migrated to the boot, obviously to spread weight around. I still haven't driven either, and going by what others have said about reviewers comments and some peoples own test-drive or ownership experiences, then if I am to put my hand in my pocket it may well be the Scoob which wins out, but the aggressive, razor-sharp 'X' styling has me smitten for now.
Old 17 May 2008, 05:36 PM
Curtiz
Scooby Regular

If i had to choose i would much prefer the Rb320 for looks (havent drivin either). The rb320 is one of my favourite impreza's and looks much much better than the evo x imo .

RB all the way
Old 17 May 2008, 11:55 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Personal opinion, but the Evo looks much more up to date, stylish and aggressive. Yes, it shares some features with other marques, but the Scoob looks lumpen and clumsy in comparison. The rear lights on the Scoob are too big and dominate what is already a big butt. The spoiler doesn't integrate with the overall design and looks plonked on and awkward. The curves and bulges make it look overweight, whereas the Evo has a clinical, razor-sharp look with all its features complimenting. I love Scoobs, but in those pics the Evo just leaves it for dead IMHO. I've not driven an 'X', and my past experience of Evo's has left me disappointed with the electronic driver aids removing feel and enjoyment in favour of quite astonishing speed, leaving me preferring the hands-on involved feeling of Scoobs. I shall definitely drive an 'X' before I consider another Scoob though.
Good post - totaly sumed up how I feel about the merits of the Evo and Scoob
Old 19 May 2008, 01:16 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front of the Evo looks like a Volvo, the rear like an alfa!......the RB320 looks much nicer in my opinion.

Good write-up
Old 25 March 2009, 01:02 PM
scoobymy01
Scooby Regular

RB320 for sure what a car , and you cant comapre it to a standard STi Hawkeye ... they are so different i have an RB320 and did have an STi Hawkeye and only kept it 3 months thought it was crap .. maybe after a remap a bit better ?
Exo X ... looks too plain same as the new shape scooby .... both shockingly sh*t...lol
Old 25 March 2009, 02:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Only driven an Evo IX FQ360 - the RB320 would have to be VERY good to get anywhere near that car. I still want one.
Old 25 March 2009, 02:36 PM
scoobymy01
Scooby Regular

i have driven an fq360mr too and owned a modded fq300 ... beleive me the rb320 wins :-) .... every time.
Old 25 March 2009, 05:05 PM
Bodgit
Scooby Regular

I have owned my evo X for about 2 months now. I have the 300 SST. My old car was a MY05 STI PPP.

The Evo does feel slower than the STI almost to the point where I feel the STI may have been played with by the previous owner.

On a daily basis the EVO is easier to live with particularly in traffic. In the twisties it feels more planted than the STI ever was, though to be honest I never felt confident in the STI. It never seemed to feed back exactly what was going on.

I am not knocking the STI it was fun to drive however the EVO is more refined. The STI windows for instance would whistle as soon as you got over 100mph, the boot would clunk shut or the swing arms would get in the way of what was in the boot and the stereo was awful. ( I know the stereo could be replaced)

I miss the exhaust note of the STI but I often meet up with customers outside work and to be honest it was getting embarassing when they kept saying they heard me from 2 miles away.

Last edited by Bodgit; 25 March 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 25 March 2009, 05:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go for a X if it wasn't so heavy and there was a strong 6 speed gearbox - the 5 speed manual is too short geared to give economy and to be civilised, and the SST breaks when tuned. Also, the engines don't seem to be as strong - initially people complained about going from an iron to an alloy block, then the internals were reported to be much stronger and people felt optimistic, but now people are breaking the internals below 500 BHP.

Quick Reply: Evo X versus RB320