Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Any one here driven a Nissan Pulsar?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2008, 04:40 PM
japsrool
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one here driven a Nissan Pulsar?

just like to ask if any1 has driven a nissan pulsar and what are they like advanages an disadvantages etc?

is 320bhp noticable power in a pulsar?

many thanks, any answers would be appreciated
Old 04 February 2008, 06:52 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Mate theyre a great car if you can find a well looked after one though a mate of mine spent an absolute fortune on his(alot keeping up with repairs)-transfer box and gearbox being weakpoints when you up the power, i really loved how it went lol though his were running 370bhp.

scoobymad/dazs pulsar - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 04 February 2008, 07:03 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

A genuine 320bhp in a pulsar will be very noticeable yes!

I love these cars, I've owned most Jap stuff (GTR's, STI's, RX7, Evo's etc) and it's my favourite.

The only thing I don't like about them is the price! they fell into the hands of the younger generation (not always bad granted) and a lot of kids seem to destroy them by not looking after them properly.
Old 04 February 2008, 10:20 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

They have a reputation of being unreliable.
Old 04 February 2008, 10:26 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

i had one for my last car, it was 320bhp, very quick of the lights more so then my 360bhp scooby but the gearbox are chocolate and the standard ones will bust if you drive it hard, but the handling is amazing. my old one is on pistonhead worth a look at, gray one for 4200,... which ever one you buy be prepard for it to go wrong and cost alot to put right, very very fragile....
Old 05 February 2008, 05:30 PM
japsrool
BANNED

ok i understand when u say fragile and unreliable but...ive heard from many that the engines are robust. i personnaly want to buy 1 always wanted one but the thrashed examples out there does frighten me. im only willingto buy that has had uprated internals.

do they really pull? i have a uk spec classic that is near enough to standard and the way it delivers the power is great. the pulsars dont sound like vtec cars when they pull do they?
Old 05 February 2008, 07:09 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

depends on the tune. 360bhp will pull like 360bhp - just divide by the weight to compare with other cars up to 70+mph. Being a turbo, it will pull like other turbo cars and not like a Vtec. If they have changed the cams then assume the delivery is less until higher up the rev band. Same applies for any other mods such as turbo they have fitted - all using the 'no free lunch' theory.

PS (assuming you are looking at a ready modded one here)

Trending Topics

Old 05 February 2008, 08:04 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

The engines will take over 400bhp in standard form as long as they have been mapped reliably.

Gtirs are so unreliable and the gearboxes so chocolatey that my standard engined standard gearboxed Gtir hasn't failed once in that repsect in the 6 years I've owned it. (kiss of death no doubt)
(Transfer boxes hardly ever fail. I've maybe heard of 2 or 3 on the Gtir forums in those years.)
It's only 280bhp (ish) and it's been dragged to death.

I killed the standard clutch eventually, but by mainly trying to do 2 launches in 10secs.

Some of them are unreliable, some are very reliable. Just like any other car realy.

My 280bhp will do the 1/4 in 12.4 and hit 60 in 3.7secs. It is abit lighter than standard and has a close ratio gearbox. With 320 I'd be in the 11s. A standard weight/gearboxed one shouldn't be too far behind.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:21 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

1. When tuned Kin quick! -a Q car for those not in know
2. Gearbox made of putty
3. Too much weight over the front
Old 05 February 2008, 08:38 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Mine was a hunk of poo. Owned it for three weeks before returning it to the dealer.

Got 9MPG average and the boost was all over the place. Range from 0 to 0.7 bar and stutterered constantly. They had it back 4 times and in the end gave up with trying to fix it. Great cars when they run but utter ****e when they dont.
Old 05 February 2008, 08:51 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I've know several owners who say they are fab for about 1 hour a year, utter sheds rest of the time and hard work to keep running reliably.
Old 05 February 2008, 09:15 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Always wanted to drive one to see what they are like...I can imagine a small hatchback with the 300+bhp that most pulsars on the second hand market have, would be pretty unbelievable in a straight line. Wouldnt fancy owning one though...a white one went flying past me when I was out a drive one night last summer, and about 2 miles from my house I passed it in a cloud of smoke at the side of the road

Alan
Old 05 February 2008, 09:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could just be the white ones that are dodgy though
Old 05 February 2008, 09:24 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

if you get a true 320bhp one then yes, you will be amazed at how well it pulls. its a light and small car with four wheel drive, look for ones with uprated brakes as the standard ones are really pants. the engines are pritty good as long as the fueling is right, its just them gearbox's, i had mine 6month before i broke mine and that was 5th gear, but i did drive it hard, been on a couple of tracks and did a good 30-40 off the lights and drop it, sits you back in the seats dame hard lol. dont jump at the first one, log on to a couple of forums and you will quickly learn whats good and whats not.... they are very helpful and there are a fair few about still......
Old 06 February 2008, 08:32 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Also issue with 4wd on the gearbox. It really has to be up to the job as you get 100% grip in most events and as I suspect with these cars, there are a quite a lot of owners doing 1st gear launches and expecting it to hold up to serious abuse. Thats a massive loading on the car and where a FWD or RWD car would spin up and reduce the hit on the gearbox.
From my view of the 'average' GTir I see driving about, they have mostly had what look like brutal sorry lives tbh with only a few nicely doted examples around.
Old 06 February 2008, 09:27 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

nice cars apart from the brakes, and some gearboxes go some dont. I had to get a replacement on mine but then you hear about scoob boxes going so horses for courses. Engine is lovely, comes alive higher up the rev range loves to be revved, I had some dp motorsport cams in mine and they were surprisingly cheap fitted. Fuel consumption is poor, first night I had mine, I did 96 miles to a full tank was funny though as I had someone pull up along side asking how I got the flames out of the exhaust

The rear brake pads can also stick in the colder weather (I had 6 spoke wheels on mine showing plenty of disc so that may not have helped), Ifyou dont get one with uprated brakes first thing you should do is at least change the pads. The car is surprisingly heavy for its size, but in a straight line fast as ****, I wasnt to keen on the handling though to be honest as I thought it was a bit too neutral but if I could afford to run one now as long as I got a good example I would get another
Old 07 February 2008, 10:08 PM
japsrool
BANNED

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
a white one went flying past me when I was out a drive one night last summer, and about 2 miles from my house I passed it in a cloud of smoke at the side of the road

Alan
hahaha nice 1 i like it.
Old 07 February 2008, 10:10 PM
japsrool
BANNED

i see everyones opinion on the pulsars is near enough the same but what would be your opinion on a rebuilt pulsar for example say with forged internals an a quaffie gearbox? do you think it would be better in anyway?
Old 07 February 2008, 10:21 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

depends if its been properly, and by a well known tuner, quaffie box would show that someone has spent the money to say the least, but i would take there word for it, get it backed up with recipts and phone the garage to make sure, but if you do find a pulsar with all that done they wont be cheap, i forgot to mention mpg, it drinks it like a fish and will see a tank in no time atall,
Old 07 February 2008, 10:23 PM
l33 griff
Scooby Regular

oh.... i do miss mine and have thought about another but the only thing that put me off is its age, apart from that i would deff have another, love them,
Old 08 February 2008, 05:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by skinters
with only a few nicely doted examples around.

Like my 'garage queen' I bought mine just to tinker with and have been replacing parts for new left, right and centre (even if they don't need it) It'll make a really nice car for someone if I ever sell it.

How the **** am i writing in italic?

Just started doing it on it's own
Old 08 February 2008, 05:52 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

only had mine 6 months before some bars**** stole it
but in the time we had together
never let me down used eveyday, did like a lot of petrol tho
but know worse that my scoob
mine had full 3" system from turbo (full decat),buddy club p1 alloys,t timer,greedy boost gauge and hks evc set at 1.1 bar
and was MINT full history (if you read jap) 38k on it
even still had the umbrella and flare
payed 3850 on it
would deffo have another
Old 08 February 2008, 06:07 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by japsrool
i see everyones opinion on the pulsars is near enough the same but what would be your opinion on a rebuilt pulsar for example say with forged internals an a quaffie gearbox? do you think it would be better in anyway?
The gearbox means you'd have to be completely ham fisted to kill it. The rebuilt engine doesn't guarantee reliabilty because the engine is reliable. Its not looknig after it that causes failure.

I had one for 2 years and would consider another. Wouldn't use it daily though.

At the time I had mine a lad spent must of been close to 40K on his. Got bored and sold it but never saw it again.

The SENissan front bumper and bonnet looked amazing when you could get them. A black one with wide arches and white compo 18s would give me raging horn!
Old 18 February 2008, 09:22 AM
Mew
Scooby Regular

think the best way to describe the gtir is its a fast but fragile car lol
Old 18 February 2008, 11:10 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

"As fragile as female emotion"

Best quote relating to a GTIR I ever read.

I had one for about 2 years. Bloomin great car and only downer was a new clutch but that was teaching my misses how to drive in a car with a 3 puck paddle clutch - didn't last long