Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

How do you rate 172's ?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2002, 09:24 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been offered a brand new, altho pre-registered Clio 172 with 10 miles on the clock for £14995. Not a top price I know but best circumstances, ie. finance, part ex for mine etc. etc.

How do you rate the handling ?

How long is the run-in period ?

How good - in comparison to a Scoob !! :-)

Running costs ?

Fuel economy ?

Any help appreciated !

Thanks, Jai

Old 20 January 2002, 04:03 PM
172jon
Scooby Regular

Jai,

£14,995 is very expensive, I only paid £11,500 for my Mk2 Euro-import. Renault have just dropped the price for a UK car to £15,049 or there-abouts.

IMHO the handling is great
It feels very adjustable in corners, you can lift off & get the back end out or just power out - plenty of low down torque. For me, the 172 is a very easy car to drive hard. It always puts a smile on my face, but sometimes I think I'd like something a bit more challenging to drive.
Having said that, a Scooby is even easier to drive fast - they really flatter the driver - even my Mom could be fast in one
The lack of 4WD only makes a difference when it is very wet. The 172 has great traction in dry or damp conditions.

Run-in period is suposed to be 625 miles. I kept mine under 3500rpm for the first 600ish miles, then allowed my self a few more revs every hundred miles. By the time I had done 1,000 miles, I was ready to light up the shift-light
My car has now done 6,000 miles & it has really started to loosen up. The engine feels really tight for the first 5,000 miles or so.

Running costs... Servicing is every 12,000 miles, so I don't know how much a service costs yet. Insurance is group 16. I pay about £1,200 a year with Tesco. I am 22 & have 3 years no-claims & 3 points for speeding
Renault dealers are notoriously ****e! Make sure you go to one that's recommended. Have a look at the forum on www.cliosport.net for more info.
Fuel economy is pretty good. Yesterday, I went to my first trackday at Anglesey. On the drive there & back a averaged 38 - 40mpg, cruising at about 80mph. On track it managed an average of 17mpg, driving flat out
The 172 impressed me on track, being able to easily stay with & pass Lotus Elises. I got thrashed by all the Caterhams, Exiges & Mellow's Impreza P1 though I don't think a standard Impreza would be as quick as the 172 on that track - very tight & twisty.

Compared to an Impreza... Obviously the Scooby will kick *** in a straight line, but the 172 won't embarass it's self. Mine is still pulling hard at 130mph
In the twisties, I think a lot comes down to the driver. A well driven 172 will stay with pretty much any Impreza on your average A or B road.

I chose a 172 because I could afford a brand-new one, I was a lot cheaper to insure & run than a Scooby, not to mention a lot less common It's also got a load more toys than an Impreza - Leather, climate control, automatic lights & windscreen wipers, trip computer, Xenon lights, etc. As I use my car every day, this makes a difference.

I don't think you'd be un-happy with either a Scooby or a 172. The Impreza is ultimately the quicker drivers car, but the 172 would be newer, cheaper to run, have more kit & IMO more fun to drive.

Hope this helps

Jon
Old 20 January 2002, 10:55 PM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Talking

I sold my MY'00 Scooby Turbo to get one of these I got a Mk1 172 and very happy with it cheaper to run etc...less services ,the power is there without having to thrash it all the time !!
Only real thing is when its wet its hard to pull off to fast.
The scoob just went rain or shine !!Only thing i miss other than the sound of the scooby

Basically i would recomend it ... it fits the bill for ME

Gazza
Old 21 January 2002, 01:41 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have a mk2 172. It has 8800 miles on now and sings !!!

As has been said, it pulls hard all through the rev range, and the handling is spot on. Be prepared to humiliate TTs and BMW Coupes with it. I seem to be able to throw it into roundabouts and is just sits and grips.

Dunnow about insurance or running costs as mine is a co. car.

One word of warning - the clutch. I took mine in today as mine is slipping, and the Service man at Fish Brothers in Reading said that they have had problems with the release plate and basically they know that the clutch is not man enough for the car

If you drive it hard, be prepared to take it in for the clutch - i know 4 cars that have now gone in under 10000 miles for clutch wear problems. Also it eats front tyres - mine were changed last week and they had 1mm of tread left !!

Other than that, fantastic car, not much else around with as much "bang for your buck". If you can wait, go for an import, or other than that check Trade Sales (Slough is a good on - its massive).

Fuel consumption is good - motorway runs get you 36-38mpg and thrashing around town gets 24-28mpg.

If you want noise similar to a Scoob then put a cone filter induction kit on it. I did and it sounded mad. You will lose a couple of bhp as there is so much hot air under the bonnet, but you will gain low end torque slightly. I took mine off and put the original airbox back on at the weekend after an RR run produced 168bhp, but i am going to put a performance filter element in instead.

Dave

[Edited by druddle - 1/21/2002 1:47:40 PM]
Old 21 January 2002, 06:30 PM
rjs1000
Scooby Regular

Ive a mk1

Very quick all the way
Handling - Steering great ratio
Handling - Suspension could be harder...
Brakes - powerful saved my life many times but could be bigger discs - especially at rear

Parts arent cheap - make sure you get the 3 year warrenty.
- £200 for brake pads (at renault) - after 10 months - I was gutted
- £260 centre exhaust section (at renault) - after 11 months - warrentied but I again was gutted to see it go so quick...

MPG - can drive & accelerate fast - & get 32-34mpg with optimax or super