Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW M3 2001 - 2006

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2007, 08:57 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BMW M3 2001 - 2006

has anyone ever owned one of these??What are they like to live with on a daily basis etc

thanks
Old 03 December 2007, 09:16 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

the E46 Model
Old 03 December 2007, 10:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the search is terrible, but that will give you lots of info, including from me that I don't want to retype. In searching and reading though, it is a car covered by a lot of IMHO unjustified hype. In summary I didn't like it as it was compromised too much in that it was neither a great performer (modest traction in the wet, poor brakes, average torque, average steering feel, poor suspension travel) or a luxury car (firm ride, average refinement, poor for rattles). Nice interior/exterior, good economy, good servicing, nice SMG. Terrible extended warranty arrangements.
Old 04 December 2007, 09:13 AM
wilffive
Scooby Regular

I can see John Banks hated his but I love mine.

Get over to MTorque.co.uk to answer all your questions.

IMHO its a truly great road car probably the best day to day driver you can buy all things considered hence why it has won lots of accolades.
Old 04 December 2007, 10:32 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

OK WILL DO
Old 04 December 2007, 10:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

john - in my long reading of other marques (and never even having opened the door of an E46 M3 ), I'd say your viewpoint is the exception on here.

When they first came out, it seemed half of SN was selling their STIs and raving about them. Five years later, the malaise set in and people started to talk about them being "overhyped". But only john seems to have very specific criticisms of them. NOT a dig at john - perhaps he's the only one articulate or intelligent enough to be able to actually spell out what he dislikes! - but just my noting of a pattern as a regular reader here
Old 04 December 2007, 10:48 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Brendan, whilst your point regarding John's comments are accurate it probably has more to do with disappointment than anything else. I'd guess that he had high hopes of the car and wasn't prepared to put up with the compromise that is neccessary on too many cars these days - the reputation didn't live up to the reality?

Admittedly, I'm basing my experience on several driving sessions rather than as an ownership proposition but whilst I'd disagree with some of the things he says I can understand how he's reached those conclusions.
Old 04 December 2007, 10:53 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I've never rated the M3, nor any e46 3er at that.

Probably because the e39 M5 won me over - as it does everything so much better.

IIRC one of John's gripe was with how nervous it can sometimes be was when pushing it on our lovely, yet somewhat bumpy open roads - the only place barring a race track where one maybe tempted to make progress with the car. I can agree with this, especially when finding out the M5 takes such road surfaces in its stride.

Last edited by Shark Man; 04 December 2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04 December 2007, 11:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

FCD, Ali - I think john was indeed unhappy with his particular circumstances, ie Scotland - open roads and snow, IIRC - perhaps the more satisfied ones were in the South East where they couldn't use the thing much over 50mph except round the Ring twice a year!
Old 04 December 2007, 11:11 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

MIAOW!

Old 04 December 2007, 11:15 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
john - in my long reading of other marques (and never even having opened the door of an E46 M3 ), I'd say your viewpoint is the exception on here.

When they first came out, it seemed half of SN was selling their STIs and raving about them. Five years later, the malaise set in and people started to talk about them being "overhyped". But only john seems to have very specific criticisms of them. NOT a dig at john - perhaps he's the only one articulate or intelligent enough to be able to actually spell out what he dislikes! - but just my noting of a pattern as a regular reader here
John's comments are fair to an extent, but in previous posts he has commented about the kind of roads he drove his on, a lot of B roads iirc (correct me if i am wrong John)

Having had my 55 plate for 11 months, and 23000 miles i can now associate with some of the comments John has made in the past.

My daily commute consists of 42 miles of major A roads each way until i hit Leeds city centre, at which point the car can become crashy over small bumps and potholes, and can feel very harsh.

The SMG is a stonking device, and auto works wonderfully when you just dont feel like pushing it along, but at the same time it can make you look a tit, with silly things like leaving it in sport mode when in town and it becoming a very jerky drive away from lights at anything less than half throttle, or it not changing down the box quick enough as you approach a give way junction.

Motorway miles it eats up, but after a long day say to London and Back, the suspension does begin to feel a little harsh, but the cruise control and lack of clutch pedal make up for it.

Switch the SMG to manual and give it some welly on A roads and its an absolute killer IMO, covers ground so so quickly. Divert to a B road and you WILL need every ounce of whit about you, or you will seek a hedge or ditch. This is really because of what John says, the suspension just doesnt travel enough, it crashes and bangs about like a demented loonatic, and when you brake, you slow down in spasms as the front wheels are in and out of contact with the road!

I have come off the motorway before, with various papers and documents sat on the passenger seat, i have then driven the car hard on A roads, and the papers havent moved a great deal, i then drop onto the B roads towards home, and suddenly the papers start flying everywhere, its almsot like travelling down a cobble street.

Traction in the summer is awesome, traction this time of year is sh1te (but entertaining if you want), and i often find myself having to wait to apply throttle because i can feel the back end stepping out more than i want it to!

Traction in winter conditions! Truly atrocious. I have a small incline of 1 metre spread across 4 metres to get out of my drive. If there is even the remotes amount of snow or ice, the only way i can get out is to switch to manual, put it in 2nd, turn traction control off, and give it some beans! Wakes you up on a morning! My old MG diesel and subaru will climb the incline on idle/part throttle.

Would i change it, no, because 99% of the time i drive it, its the best day to day car i have ever owned, and averaging 24mpg aint that bad IMO.
Old 04 December 2007, 11:31 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

thanks for those comments - does anyone experience any negativity from other drivers just because of tjhe car it is??
Old 04 December 2007, 11:37 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Not really noticed any tbh.
Old 04 December 2007, 11:52 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Rasher
thanks for those comments - does anyone experience any negativity from other drivers just because of tjhe car it is??
Yeah, obviously you can't afford a Porsche
Old 04 December 2007, 12:03 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rasher
You might get a bit from time to time. I've a different Beemer and getting out of junctions can be a problem sometimes as people exercise their prejudices but you can always surprise others by flashing them out or using indicators.

Old 04 December 2007, 12:20 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Good thread. Long time since I was in one of these (as a passenger). How harsh is the suspension compared to a newage UK STi ?
Old 04 December 2007, 01:09 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

A lot harsher IMO
Old 04 December 2007, 01:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think P20SPD sums it up well. When I had it I was mainly driving on smooth A-roads commuting and it was OK, but it so effectively turned roads I love in the Scoob or Evo into roads I hated it didn't matter that it was a minority of my use, it had to go. I had little respect for the car and wasn't willing to pay the depreciation. Apart from the odd bit of silly driving on an A-road, a cheap Mondeo would be just as good, and more satisfying because it is so cheap and under-rated IYSWIM.

I did also look for an E39 M5, but I didn't find a selection in good condition, and this was 2 years ago, they are all older now. I'm sure a good one would be superb.
Old 04 December 2007, 04:31 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

how they insurance wise compared to an Impreza??
Old 04 December 2007, 04:48 PM
Arbiter
BANNED

More expensive. Also they are under-braked, eat oil, tyres and other consumables if you give them stick.

My money would go on a CSL if I was in the market for one. Somehow they manage to be much more than the sum of their parts.
Old 04 December 2007, 07:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

My M3 insurance was a bit cheaper than the modified Subaru, but not much in it.
Old 05 December 2007, 08:14 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

My 600bhp Impreza was £800 fully comp last renewal with full no claims. The M3 was £1300 fully comp with 2 years no claims.

For the first time i lifted the bonnet on the M3 the other night due to the oil light coming on, it took 1 litre of oil to top it back up. Not bad usage IMO over 11000 miles (last time it was serviced).

Tyres i have gone through 1 set so far, £650 for all four. Inspection one service was £800 ish.
Old 28 December 2007, 08:32 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P20SPD
Inspection one service was £800 ish.
£800 .... what does an inspection one service entail?

Tony.
Old 29 December 2007, 09:48 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Tappet adjustments and other silly stuff. They had the car for more than a day.
Old 31 December 2007, 05:25 AM
shustir
Scooby Regular

Is that not in the inspection 2 service ? I think the inspection 1 service is a glorified oil change
Old 04 January 2008, 12:01 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

That's not so bad then... but how often does it need that? Are the 'normal' services expensive too? And to stop me asking more questions, is there a good M3 forum with all the answers

Tony.
Old 04 January 2008, 09:19 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Originally Posted by shustir
Is that not in the inspection 2 service ? I think the inspection 1 service is a glorified oil change
Could well of been, cant quite remember now.

Tony, service approx every 15000 miles.

I looked on here, MTorque.co.uk - Passion for M Cars - Powered by UBB.threads™ , but they can be a bit slow IMO
Old 04 January 2008, 06:11 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steven, much appreciated.

Tony.
Old 09 January 2008, 11:28 AM
SpudgunRS6
Scooby Newbie

just bought my second e46 m3 smg. i had my first one in 2003, missed tuned jap cars(ive owned modded scoobys,evo6,r33gtr), sold the m3, bought an r32gtr, spent a bomb on it,then bought an rs6, had a miltek and mtm chip fitted.
great car the rs6, but drc suspension was a nightmare problem. got rid, tried an x5 4.8is for summat different, not bad really.....

but......

the one car i always regretted selling was my m3. in the REAL world, where comfort and driveability matter as much as 0-60 times, i think pound for pound the e46 smg m3 is just about the best used car you can buy for under 30k.

i dont care people think your a **** in one, theyre proper quick, make a great noise, good looking, great interior, and you can get it serviced at a bmw dealership(which imho are top notch), not some *** with a spanner in a shed who charges more per hour than they do, and who will **** your car up for huge amonts of money that you will never get back .

seriously, try one!
Old 09 January 2008, 12:02 PM
thegambler
Scooby Newbie

I have owned my e46 smg for 6 months now. I love it. Its one of the best day to day cars i have ever owned. Its comfortable enough if you want to cruise on a motorway or a busy a road. When you want to give it blast, it just lifts its skirt and goes for it. A very rewarding car to drive fast.

Fair enough, the grip in the wet is pretty rubbish. Rear wheel drive and 343hp make sure of that. I find it pretty entertaining though. You just have to keep your wits about you.

Some do find the suspension a bit crashy when it gets bumpy. My other cars an impreza used for track days with tien adjustable suspension, roll cage, no interior etc. I drive that from scotland to spa and the ring at least once a year. After that, suspension feels fine to me.

Brakes are the real limiting factor on track though. They are ok for the road but only good enough for a couple of laps of knockhill, if your hard on the brakes. Then again, so is a standard impreza. If i was serious about tracking it a lot i would get ap 6 pots. ill stick to the impreza on track. Much cheaper to fix when i run out of tallent!!