* NEW TOYOTA COROLLA T SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 10:41 AM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

NEW TOYOTA COROLLA T SPORT
Yesterday i got the chance to drive one of these 1.8 190 b.h.p cars.
My friend works for Toyota and has just took delivery of one
It looks very much a rip off of the Civic Type R but in my opinion not as nice as the Type R
The car didn't seem all that powerfull until about 6000 rpm but it seemed to take a while to get there.
It was nice to drive but only did a couple of miles in it so hard to get a true feeling of the car.

Overall a much better looking car than the old corolla but not really a match for the Type R
It is in the same price bracket as a Type R but if i was spending 15.5 k on a new car i think i would give my money to Honda !

Gazza
Old 14 January 2002, 12:34 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Just had a look on the Toyota Website.

190bhp sounds alot but this thing only gets to 60 in 8.4secs. THAT IS CRAP! My old 306GTi6 only had 167bhp and was good for 60 in 7.5-8 secs. Seeing as the Tsport is clearly aimed at Type R buyers its gonna fail - its just too slow considering its only got 10bhp less. Should have around a 7 sec max time...........
Old 14 January 2002, 03:12 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

<sigh> Yet another screamer engine with no torque... Even without 4wd, 8.4s is slow. A 2.5V6 Vectra is 7.9s!!! Gimme a nice slab of torque any day

And I'd give my 15.5k to a Dutch Subaru dealer (like I did two years ago)

Richard

[Edited by Bitten Hero - 1/14/2002 3:13:20 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 03:48 PM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have a look at this...

Quote from Autoexpress:

Corolla T Sport
You've read about the family-friendly Corollas, now stand back for the hot one! No hatchback line-up would be complete without the addition of a high-performance three-door flagship. Although prices are still a closely guarded secret, hopes remain high for the Corolla T Sport after the success of the Yaris variant.
But where the Yaris matched low weight and agility to its performance package, the heavily equipped Corolla is burdened with more bulk. Although offering 189bhp, the 1.8-litre VVTL-i unit feels breathless before 6,000rpm and demands rapid use of the gears and a firm right foot to maintain its momentum.

The short-shifting gearbox, so involving on the Yaris, is a bit of a letdown, too. Despite a solid feel and the benefit of a sixth gear, there's too much travel in the gate and we struggled to find second when making quick downchanges.

But the T Sport still has a great deal to offer. The nicely balanced chassis and revised suspension provide a firm but supple ride that should soak up the bumps of Britain's roads as well as its rivals. The car remains stable in even the most demanding corners and feels predictable on the limit, but it ultimately fails to serve up the thrills today's discerning driving enthusiasts crave.

The new Corolla T Sport is the third model in Toyota's line-up to benefit from the performance treatment - but it looks set to be the least exciting. The sporty package has not fully capitalised on the excellent ride and handling of the all-new Corolla, although the T Sport still offers good looks and a solid build that should attract some buyers away from the VW Golf GTI.

Thanks
Gazza

[Edited by GAZZ SCOOBY - 1/14/2002 5:14:24 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 04:54 PM
golfturbo
Scooby Regular

EVO did a review and said more or less the same thing
The Torque is rubbish and it doesn't get going until 6000 rpm
very useful in day to day driving....really can't see how it would attract a Golf Buyer - driven back to back i think most people would prefer the Golf's flat torque curve. And it doesn't appear that the T sport has great handling to make that much of a difference over the Golfs suspect standard set up
Old 15 January 2002, 02:30 PM
madfiddler
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Toyota brought it round to EA before it was released to get our take on it. Basically, a big improvement over the old Corolla (maybe they should have changed the name though), but the performance was very disappointing when compared the Civic R