Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mow much will a new model affect old prices?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2007, 08:35 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mow much will a new model affect old prices?

As you may have read in the other thread, I'm looking to change my wifes car. She's now really keen on a Mazda 6 (hurrah!) but the new model comes out in January. Now, we only want to get an 18 month old one, so the old model is fine.

What I don't know though, is if we're best waiting until January to change or will any second hand prices not really be that effected so soon and only will really start to reduce when the new model starts hitting the market second-hand?

Thanks
Richard.
Old 16 November 2007, 08:16 AM
scoobberdoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scotsman
As you may have read in the other thread, I'm looking to change my wifes car. She's now really keen on a Mazda 6 (hurrah!) but the new model comes out in January. Now, we only want to get an 18 month old one, so the old model is fine.

What I don't know though, is if we're best waiting until January to change or will any second hand prices not really be that effected so soon and only will really start to reduce when the new model starts hitting the market second-hand?

Thanks
Richard.
IMHO The best time to buy will be circa March because:-

a) Your right, the new model will affect used values and that will be happen right away a soon as the new one is launched!

b) The next registration of 08 models coming out will mean a glut of used ones flying around clogging up forecourts. I think you will be able to get a better deal around then.
Old 16 November 2007, 08:56 AM
Explorer
BANNED

Indeed waiting for the reg change would be the smart move, I'd estimate the effect of the new model and that will see prices of a car like the 6 drop by a grand.
Old 16 November 2007, 09:05 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Great advice - thanks guys. We'll hold off as my wife's megane won't drop in value too much more by then.
Old 17 November 2007, 12:15 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

new models can affect values massively.

i work for mercede and smart, smart have just launched their new 4/2, prices for used ones in june were reaching just above book (glasses) now they are about a grand behind book.

thats £1200ish drop, and on a car that retails used from about 5k is a big big drop. That is just the difference in what they are fetching trade, that does not include the actual drop of the car with it being the old model in glasses.
Old 17 November 2007, 02:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

There's also likely to be another drop in about 3 years time when all the fleet "new" 6's get dumped onto the market.