Laguna 1.9 DCi Dynamique

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2007, 06:06 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laguna 1.9 DCi Dynamique

Ok, opinions needed please.
Need to get the wife a daily driver, don't want to spend much more than a couple of grand. I have the chance to buy the above vehicle in black with 7 months MOT and 4 months tax. It has done 95k and has full service history.
The Dynamique is the one with the 6 speed box and half leather interior, it also has the spoiler on the boot.
Right now for the bad points. It needs 4 new tyres, two of the (17 inch) alloys are corroded and require refurbing and with it being black you can see the odd minor dent. The seller says it has a faulty gearbox, he says it makes a strange noise in 1st gear if you pull away with a lot of revs, he says it only does this in 1st though. Whilst I went on a test run with the seller it never made any strange noises. The only thing I did notice was that the gearstick moved back and forth quite a lot when pulling away.
The guy was only a young lad and had no idea about car mechanics. So worst case scenario would be a gearbox rebuild.
He is asking £2150 for it but I have got him down to £1950, said i'd let him know tomorrow. These things are fetching anywhere between £2700 and £3700 with this sort of mileage.

What do you guy's think.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 28 August 2007, 06:34 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a r19 1.7 that had a gear leaver that moved back and forth quite bad, mainly in 5th though, turned out to be a weak syncro, not that bad to sort out (125 quid) but you would need a speciallist to look and confirm what it is.
Engine wise, these are lovely engines, dont think you will go much wrong buying one as long as its been serviced properly

Tony
Old 28 August 2007, 06:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

There are very few cars I would avoid but a Laguna is one of them.
MASSIVE amounts of problems, Renault are suffering customer "service" self destruction and I know three people personally who cannot wait to get rid of them.
If the 182 and Megane Sport weren't so good, I'd write Renault off for good.

Mondeo, Vectra, Passat or older Honda.
Old 29 August 2007, 12:38 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScoobyWeb
Ok, opinions needed please.
Need to get the wife a daily driver, don't want to spend much more than a couple of grand. I have the chance to buy the above vehicle in black with 7 months MOT and 4 months tax. It has done 95k and has full service history.
The Dynamique is the one with the 6 speed box and half leather interior, it also has the spoiler on the boot.
Right now for the bad points. It needs 4 new tyres, two of the (17 inch) alloys are corroded and require refurbing and with it being black you can see the odd minor dent. The seller says it has a faulty gearbox, he says it makes a strange noise in 1st gear if you pull away with a lot of revs, he says it only does this in 1st though. Whilst I went on a test run with the seller it never made any strange noises. The only thing I did notice was that the gearstick moved back and forth quite a lot when pulling away.
The guy was only a young lad and had no idea about car mechanics. So worst case scenario would be a gearbox rebuild.
He is asking £2150 for it but I have got him down to £1950, said i'd let him know tomorrow. These things are fetching anywhere between £2700 and £3700 with this sort of mileage.

What do you guy's think.

Cheers, Chris.

Agreeing with Matt (again ) here.

They are piles of sh1te, best avoided like the plague. Electrical and mechanical faults abound. The only "good" thing about them is the engine (athough there are numerous reported faults about them blowing up due to self fuelling from turbo failures. etc.
Old 29 August 2007, 01:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
Agreeing with Matt (again ) here.

***Goes to have a little lie down to overcome the shock***

Old 29 August 2007, 06:07 PM
ScoobyWeb
Scooby Regular

I know all about the turbos failing and taking the engine with it, I had a Renault trafic van with the same engine (FQ9). Had lots of probs with that. I also know that some cars are problematic with electrical faults etc. The price was tempting me, anyway I have decided to give it a miss. Will have to keep looking.

Cheers, Chris.
Old 01 September 2007, 08:43 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Just check the JD Power survey and see how French cars compare.

Renault is 34th out of 35 manufacturers. The Laguna is 143rd out of 152 models.

Get a Civic/Corolla instead.

Last edited by GaryCat; 01 September 2007 at 08:48 PM.