Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

westfield

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2002, 07:38 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've just seen this westfield megabusa in a mag what a mad car that looks does anyone on here know about them as in how much,can you get them second hand,are they road legal if so is it driveable on the road,would make a nice second car to the scoob me thinks.
thanks chris.
Old 01 January 2002, 07:43 PM
Little Miss WRX

Talking

I think Mr Felstead is your man on the subject of Westfields
Old 01 January 2002, 07:46 PM
turbojunkie
Scooby Regular

try www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk.

it is road legal

Also Caterham do similiar with a blackbird engine - www.caterham.co.uk

I am considering similar for the summer.

David.

[Edited by turbojunkie - 1/1/2002 7:47:09 PM]
Old 01 January 2002, 08:25 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

They are too slow.

If you want to buy a quick Westfield drop me a line. Mine is for sale.
Old 01 January 2002, 09:25 PM
Paul M
Scooby Regular

Or get a Tiger Z100, same as a westi except for it's 14K in Kit form or 21K built( therye also lighter and have abetter chassis ISTR from the guy who developed both, Chris from Z-cars. 0-60 3.11 on road tyres 2.86 on slicks
Paul M
Old 01 January 2002, 10:23 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Red face

Maybe a westfield megabusa is slow but came across a Darrian T9 powered by a Hyabusa on a rally saturday and that certainly was'nt slow, infact it was leading the event until a track rod or something broke.
Old 02 January 2002, 09:27 AM
Paul Swarbrick
Scooby Regular

or even Z-cars new creation - the Z100WR. Twin Kawasaki ZX12R engines - one driving the front wheels and one driving the rears. Chris just needs to get the traction problem sorted apparently(couldn't get below 2.8s 0-60 on road tyres due to poor traction at the front!!!).

Cheers
Paul (Tiger Super 6)

Old 02 January 2002, 12:56 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

how about the new xtr2? that looks pretty mad..
I met the guy who drove that ZCars world record car when I was sprinting at curborough (he was driving a twin engine one then just not 4WD).

Hes been making bike engine westies for years n recons the westi original ones are pretty poor as the clutch is WAY too sensitive and he still swears by the Kawazaki engines as there more robust and tuneable.

Did u see the turbo'd hyabusa pumpin outa MASSIVE 440bhp??! omfg
Old 02 January 2002, 01:02 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Isn't the XTR2 going to be powered by a Hayabusa lump?

There was a picture of it (if very small) in last months' EVO news pages. It kinda reminds me of the Batmobile -

<Val Kilmer voice>
It's the car isn't it? Chicks dig the car.
</Val Kilmer voice>

I think that Westfield are also going to have it at the Autosport show later this month. I'm going, so if people want pics, I'll do my best.

Den
Old 02 January 2002, 05:57 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

Megabusa is too slow for Mr Felstead, but for every other human, it has enough power to scare you senseless.

Its the quickest car i have ever driven, and the sequential gearbox is fantastic.

Im enjoying my car too much at the moment but i will get a Westie or similar sooner rather than later.
Old 06 January 2002, 09:48 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I have a Fireblade engined westfield and with 'only' 340 bhp/tonne it is enough to unload the bowels of most humans (bear in mind that no current Ferrari has over 300bhp/tonne, and only top spec Diablos can better 340 The impreza has 170-220 depending on model ). The Busa has nearer 450 bhp/tonne and will give anything a pasting on 'non straight dominant' track.

Word of warning though.....The impreza greatly flatters your perception of your driving ability Jump into a westfield (or caterham) and you will have the greatest humbling experiance and learning curve possible. Twice the PWR, RWD, no driver aids, **** less than 6" off the ground and all up weight around 30%/35% of the impreza make for far more demanding driver imput/skill Bloody good fun though

SCREAM IF YOU WANT TO GO FASTER
Old 06 January 2002, 01:47 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have to agree with you, although i didnt find it massively harder to drive, but it gave me a smile out of every slightly damp corner i came out of. Back end twitchs side to side, floor the throttle, lots of wheelspin, and left right movement on the steering wheel and whahey your at 100 mph

Ah memories
Old 06 January 2002, 10:12 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got a Fisher Fury with a Fireblade engine, must be a bit heavier than GaryC's as I only have 270 - 300 Bhp / Ton

They aren't harder to drive than a Scooby - they are much harder to drive at 70/80/90% though. Scoobs require much less skill to get good lap times from.

But then they are much more rewarding in a RWD, too much BHP not enough grip kind of way.

(F@ck knows how quick Felsteads car is as the Busa I was passengered in was another world of speed - except for Mike R's cossie - by far the fastest car I've been in, including 4.5L 350Bhp Seight and 250Bhp Vx powered Cat)
Old 09 January 2002, 01:37 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

http://www.terrynightingale.co.uk

This guy knows his stuff about westies. Have a chat if your serious - he can source you the one your after!!

No link to me by the way - just a genuine bloke!!

Jza
Old 22 January 2002, 11:30 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Cool

Well i've done it and got a westfield not the bike engine job got put off that so i've gone for a 280bhp cosie cannot wait for the sun Any idea of the performance i sould get 0 to 60,0 to 100 how quick round a track better then the p1?.
chris.
Old 23 January 2002, 09:57 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

mmm... on the topic of speed of these things

i did a track day at rockingham last summer in the teg type-r. I loved the infield (was totally undergunned on the oval), and as everyone was new to the track it was a good leveler of ability. Anyway by the afternoon I was flying - I had a couple of sessions with an "instructor" type and we'd been working on finding the lines (he was new to the track too).

Anyway, I was sharing a garage with a guy in a bike engined caterham thing, he'd just got it, and regardless of what I did I couldnt keep with him. I was taking one S section flat over the kerbs and through the mud to try and keep with him, but no chance.

So I reckon what I'd do is passenger with him for a few laps, to see if i can work out where he's getting his speed. He's ok with this (he's pretty smug that he's the fastest guy out there), so off we go.

First corner left hander. Up to the corner, turns in way early, starts braking after turning, misses the apex by a mile. Finally slows the car, gets it turned and pointing straight down the track and boots it up to warp speed. A similar story through the S bend, understeering his way through the corner till its all straight and nails it again. This continues through the first lap, on the second he takes totally different lines through every corner.

Then it dawns on me - he is the worlds crappest driver (i'm not stunning myself, but i've got a grasp of a few of the basics, like brake points, turn points, apex's, power on early and drive through, etc), but the car he's in so just so phenomenaly quick.

The real scarey thing was that he reckoned he was the man, as he was one of the quickest folk out there. But it would have been very very interesting to see what a half decent pilot could do.

er... cant actually remember what the point of this post was, just thought i'd share that with y'all

Old 23 January 2002, 06:56 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

My mate is selling his Westfield Megablade if any one is interested I have been in it many times and will eat just about anything we have come across on the road (cars) he also saw off a GSXr 600 once to my surprise, this thing is an absolute animal he has resorted to racing motorbikes because cars are no competition. Every one needs one of these so if any one is interested drop me a mail on TJGrove@blueyonder.co.uk or you can see the car at http://pages.zoom.co.uk/proby/ trust me you will not believe these cars until you have been in one.
Old 26 January 2002, 08:00 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Should be getting a house with garage shortly so thinking of getting a caterham / westie second hand.

Questions:

Is there anything to choose between a caterham or a westie or is it just whatever engine you fancy?

I can't be arsed building one, but I spotted a 97 Ford zetec engined westie in autotrader '97 factory built for £7750 sounds good to me - how much more is a factory car new and is it something worth paying extra for?

Cheers

FJ
Old 26 January 2002, 10:07 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Cool

FJ, it seems to come down to personal preference as to which companies version is better, although sticking to a recognised one makes sense (if for no other reason than resale value)

For Westies check out http://www.wscc.co.uk/boardroom.htm very quiet compared to here though. They seem to have a bit of a problem with Zetecs as a whole, as they are difficult to extract cheap performance from compared to vx engines.

Have been looking at one to replace the scoob, should prove interesting as an every day car
Old 26 January 2002, 10:30 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Sort of what I thought. Cheers for the info. The zetec would do probably do for now, must be 130 brake standard.
I should really just get another bike instead
Old 27 January 2002, 06:58 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just to echo Mr Felsteads comment.

If you want to buy a fast one buy his.

Genuine factory cosworth powered Westie that belonged to the MD and was used in all the press shoots etc.

Lee
Old 27 January 2002, 07:13 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Talking

If he'd sell it to me for £6.5k then I'd have it

Last time I checked it was a little beyond my budget though
Old 01 June 2002, 09:47 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular