Fancy a new RS4 - Be quick!

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2007, 02:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fancy a new RS4 - Be quick!

"End of the line for Audi RS4

Audi clearly thinks you can have too much of a good thing: the sensational RS4 saloon is heading out of production, according to Audi UK.

The 414bhp V8-powered RS4 was unveiled at the Geneva motor show in 2005, and went on sale in the UK in October of that year; it'll stop being built this October.

It has been a big success for Audi – not least with us here at Autocar, who have fallen for its supercar pace and agility.

The saloon was joined in summer 2006 by the RS4 Avant and cabriolet, both of which will remain in production.

Though Audi hasn't admitted as much, RS4 production is being phased out to make way for the forthcoming new RS6.

The RS6 is already in advanced testing. It's believed to use a turbocharged 5.0-litre V10, and is expected to be unveiled at the Frankfurt motor show in September.

Audi has said that it will now only build RS4 saloons for UK customers who have already placed orders, but that it is not taking new orders for the saloon."

No mention of the Avant though...
Old 04 July 2007, 02:32 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Bugger !!!!!!

Seriously I've been considering whether or not to order one (NEXT YEAR). I hope to be Mortgage free this year, so would have spare cash to spend on a nice car. An RS4 would have fitted the bill nicely. Although £54K is quite a lot of money, I'd keep it for 4-5 years.

Bummer if that is the case, as an RS6 is A) too big, and B) will be far too expensive.

What else is there? S3 (probably too slow), New Impreza (Don't make me laugh), Evo X (Possible depending on price, service intervals, depreciation, if they keep bringing out a new version every year), New M3 (Prefer 4WD but a possibility), second hand 911 (It's second hand, and not that fast now, 996), Focus RS (If they build it, I will buy it, as long as it's 4WD and 300BHP).

Audi's policy of only building 1 RS car at any one time means no RS5 for at least another 3 years, no new RS4 for another 6 years. No RSTT (maybe not a bad thing) and deffo no RS3.
Old 04 July 2007, 02:36 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I would go for a used 997 S if you have 55-60k to play with.
Old 04 July 2007, 02:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Stilover - nice position to be in!
A nearly new RS4? Although I reckon they will hold their value much better now.
Think the others might be too far off - Evo X, New Focus RS, etc. S3 a bit slow compared to the others, new M3 a little way off.

997 S is gorgeous but just a bit too "city banker" for my liking - Dom Joli flogged his after another banker bloke pulled up beside him in one and gave him a "your one of our gang" type look - a gang he never wants to be in!

Agree about the RS6 - Think it's just going to be a superfast luxobarge, not a nimble B road basher.

Now waiting for AL to get all indignant that he's been "out- Audi'd...!"

Last edited by Matteeboy; 04 July 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04 July 2007, 03:04 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Slight amendment:

We were originally told by Audi UK that RS4 production had ended. Audi today clarified that statement by telling us that production of the right-hand drive RS4 continues to until around September but only to fulfill existing orders. You can no longer order a new car in the UK.
As for lhd US cars, they will continue in production but I imagine it's because the RS6 won't debut in the US until after they do in Europe.
Old 04 July 2007, 03:05 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I could wait till my old man gets his new R8, and buy his RS4 off him, but I'd like a new one. Unfortuntately I'm not in a position now to walk into a dealer and order one. Next year yes.

Might just have a chat with the dealer though to see if Autocar's story is correct (just looked at the Audi site and they still advertise it).

Evo X and M3 are both out next year, so I can wait and see what they're like.
Focus RS realistically (if they build one) won't be out until they facelift the Focus, so any RS version won't be out till 2009-2010 at the earliest. Too long to keep the car I have for that.
Old 04 July 2007, 03:11 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Any idea what engines the Evo X will be getting?
Still completely gobsmacked by the FQ360 test drive I took.

New M3 sounding pretty tasty.

So your Dad has an RS4 and has ordered an R8, and you are looking at the above cars?

Life sounds tough - my sympathies.

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2007, 03:36 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Any idea what engines the Evo X will be getting?
Still completely gobsmacked by the FQ360 test drive I took.

New M3 sounding pretty tasty.

So your Dad has an RS4 and has ordered an R8, and you are looking at the above cars?

Life sounds tough - my sympathies.

I think the Evo X is getting the 2.0 Turbo engine. Hopegully not the one in the current cars, as service intervals will be the same. MPG will be the same.

I think I did read that the Evo X will get 300BHP. I was hoping it would get 350bhp out of the box, 10 or 12 month service intervals, and 20-odd MPG.

Will have to wait for specs to come out, plus I want to see what the interior is like. Images look good, but if it's cheap plastic again
Old 04 July 2007, 03:43 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Have you tried an Evo IX?
I thought the interior was a whole heap better than previous Evos - In fact I even quite liked it (SHOCK)!

From what I know (a little), it's the Super AYC oil that needs looking at every 4.5k - The engines aren't the problem.

I'm sure you've had a go, but if not, I strongly advise a drive in an FQ360 MR- It just feels SO connected to the road and is usefully quicker than an RS4 in almost all situations. The 4WD is just astonishing too.
Sounds like the X might be a bit "softer" but it looks pretty mean. I hated the Evo XI but I reckon 7-9 have looked pretty decent. The X looks very good.
Could save you £20k too!
Old 04 July 2007, 05:34 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Bugger !!!!!!

Seriously I've been considering whether or not to order one (NEXT YEAR). I hope to be Mortgage free this year, so would have spare cash to spend on a nice car. An RS4 would have fitted the bill nicely. Although £54K is quite a lot of money, I'd keep it for 4-5 years.

Bummer if that is the case, as an RS6 is A) too big, and B) will be far too expensive.

What else is there? S3 (probably too slow), New Impreza (Don't make me laugh), Evo X (Possible depending on price, service intervals, depreciation, if they keep bringing out a new version every year), New M3 (Prefer 4WD but a possibility), second hand 911 (It's second hand, and not that fast now, 996), Focus RS (If they build it, I will buy it, as long as it's 4WD and 300BHP).

Audi's policy of only building 1 RS car at any one time means no RS5 for at least another 3 years, no new RS4 for another 6 years. No RSTT (maybe not a bad thing) and deffo no RS3.
that policy is out the window. Expect a RS5 on the roads late 2008 early 2009 with the RS4 to follow closely. RS5 mules have already been quite testing around the world. The car is near

Oh and my source states that audi will carry on taking orders for the drop top and avant RS4 a wee bit longer

Oh and the next RS4/RS5 will be pushing out 480hp via the 4.2 FSI TT

Last edited by AudiLover; 04 July 2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04 July 2007, 05:39 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

oh and the RS6 will leave all road users in fair. That car will make ferraris porsches and lamborghinis look silly. The engine is a complete beast, audi even tested one prototype with 700bhp!

The one we shall be getting will have 575hp give or take a little. A remap will send that to 610-620hp

No car other than hyper cars will be able to touch it

Last edited by AudiLover; 04 July 2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04 July 2007, 06:42 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

in a straight line Still a BIG car.

Nice, nevertheless, but BIG & heavy

Shame about the RS4 - was seriously looking at one in about 18months. Will deffo look at a used one now.