Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Green Car Dillema

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2007, 10:44 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Green Car Dillema

I thought I would be getting a (Sea Grey) 2.5l turbo Ford S-Max this year, but it's not going to be, as the Dutch Govt has downgraded it to relative fuel efficiency D from a C. for 2007 (Ford literature still thinks its a C)

Since 2005, my company car scheme only allows 'green' classes A - C (better than average fuel efficiency) and I can't have a hot diesel as I only do around half the 20k mileage per annum that they require. Otherwise a 530d wagon in efficiency class C would be quite nice.

Relative fuel efficiency here relates to CO2 pollution and consumption per size of vehicle. For this reason, for example, no 4x4 / SUV falls into any class above an F, as there are always more fuel efficient and less polluting wagons out there of a similar size. The Impreza Sti or Forester 2.5 would easily be within my lease budget, are both Gs. The best Scoob is a 1.5l impreza in category D.

Sprog number 2 is due in a month or so and having a little more space than the current Forester would be great (back seat really cramped). The only family cars that have 200+ horses, will hit 0-60 in under 8 secs and fall into class C or above are:

Audi A4 TSI (too small)
VW Passat estate 2.0 turbo
Volvo S80 2.5T (a bit mushy and also saloon only)

I think it should be this one, then as I don't want to change my 'performace' criteria and end up driving a snail e.g. S-Max 2.0l

Comments / ideas?
Old 05 April 2007, 02:16 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Is it really that dull?
Old 05 April 2007, 02:21 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you really going to let your life be dictated by these losers? Get what you want and don't compromise.
Old 05 April 2007, 04:14 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Comments / ideas?

Get a new Job.
Old 05 April 2007, 04:22 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Are you really going to let your life be dictated by these losers? Get what you want and don't compromise.
Fair point. I have a (secret) plan to declare myself carbon neutral for my household (around 70 quid a year via Carbon Neutral - The CarbonNeutral Company) and thereby deem myself not bound by any arbitrary car pollution policy.

Maybe, just maybe that'll swing it!
Old 05 April 2007, 04:35 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
I think the passat in the pic looks nice. Like the colour.
'Nice' interior too!

Oh and no way I'm changing jobs (yet), its way too good. Lots of responsibility / challenges, good colleagues and a decent employer (apart from the car policy)
Old 05 April 2007, 06:22 PM
Longjing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Oh and no way I'm changing jobs (yet), its way too good. Lots of responsibility / challenges, good colleagues and a decent employer (apart from the car policy)
For everyone who's not on your car policy, the environmental consideration probably looks pretty decent too. Seems pretty fair to me... individuals can always do what they like anyway, money permitting.

And I quite like the passat too.