Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW X3s are crap

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2007, 11:46 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up BMW X3s are crap

I’ve heard this a lot recently, when I say I’m going to buy one. Most seem to be based on Clarkson’s review. For the odd one amongst you interested in facts, I thought you may be interested in the following.

I see there are 3 X3s entered in the Lisbon-Dakar rally this year (www.dakar.com). They are as related to the road version as the Impreza WRC is related to the standard production turbocharged farmer’s saloon. As most people on here know, that means they are essentially identical ( for the hard of thinking.)

The Dakar hasn’t finished yet, but at an advanced stage, here are some stats.

180 cars entered, including 3 X3s. Others include Touraegs, various Nissans (Pathfinders etc), Bowler Wildcats, Mitsubishis.

On stage 6, one X3 dropped out. 45 other cars had dropped out, including all of the above. The two other X3s were both in top 10 positions (out of about 140 cars).

It’s now on stage 13, out of 15, and one is 4th. (I can’t see where the other is). Behind two Pajero EVOs and a Ford Buggy, not your average road-going vehicles. I count 69 of the starters have dropped out by now. So 4th out of about 180 starters and 110 remaining.

Pretty crap, really.
Old 19 January 2007, 11:56 AM
T_H_E__c_R_O_W
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

huh?
Old 19 January 2007, 11:59 AM
GrantyBoy
Scooby Regular

Old 19 January 2007, 12:04 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Brendan,

The latest X3 SD is a cracker. Pay no attention to the nay sayers. Personally, I just think that a new X3 doesn't make as much sense as a late, used X5. However, I think that the X3 actually has greater boot space etc!

If you like a particular car, you like a particular car. End of story. If it suits you and your needs, then go for it. Just make sure it's colour coded as the plastic bumpers are awful!

Matt
Old 19 January 2007, 12:05 PM
OPC
BANNED

X3's are crap because they feel and look like the X5's cheaper little brother.

Different for you maybe but anyone in the UK would be better advised to get an X5.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:20 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pointless soft roader, like a runty neutered X5, sure its ok really but why not, if thats your thang go for the full on arrogance on wheels of an X5, I kind of like the X5 but its just not me, I also find that it helps to identify cars that may be driven aggresively thus enabling me to give them a wide birth.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:43 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
I’ve heard this a lot recently, when I say I’m going to buy one. Most seem to be based on Clarkson’s review. For the odd one amongst you interested in facts, I thought you may be interested in the following.

I see there are 3 X3s entered in the Lisbon-Dakar rally this year (www.dakar.com). They are as related to the road version as the Impreza WRC is related to the standard production turbocharged farmer’s saloon. As most people on here know, that means they are essentially identical ( for the hard of thinking.)

The Dakar hasn’t finished yet, but at an advanced stage, here are some stats.

180 cars entered, including 3 X3s. Others include Touraegs, various Nissans (Pathfinders etc), Bowler Wildcats, Mitsubishis.

On stage 6, one X3 dropped out. 45 other cars had dropped out, including all of the above. The two other X3s were both in top 10 positions (out of about 140 cars).

It’s now on stage 13, out of 15, and one is 4th. (I can’t see where the other is). Behind two Pajero EVOs and a Ford Buggy, not your average road-going vehicles. I count 69 of the starters have dropped out by now. So 4th out of about 180 starters and 110 remaining.

Pretty crap, really.
Maybe Clarkson didn't test drive his X3 on the Dakar rally. Althouogh how many people who buy one will enter it in next years rally?

I suspect Clarksons review was based on road driving. Therfore it is cr@p !!
Old 19 January 2007, 01:31 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the X3 in the dakar is so far removed from one you would by from a dealer you cannot compare them !!
having said that if you want one then get one don't listen to most of the doom mongers of here
Old 22 January 2007, 10:12 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by stilover
Maybe Clarkson didn't test drive his X3 on the Dakar rally. Althouogh how many people who buy one will enter it in next years rally?

I suspect Clarksons review was based on road driving. Therfore it is cr@p !!
Clarkson's reviews have to be taken with a pinch of Salt.

Autocar rated it above the new Freelander. Which probably makes it the "best" of all the small SUVs - Freelander/X3/Rav4/Xtrail/CRV etc.

But then it should be - its the most expensive.

Any car only makes as much sense as the person buying it needs it to.

We had a fair bit of snow last Thursday and 4wd with decent ground clearance (regardless of the system in use) would have been extremely useful.

Unlike most of the opinionated tossers on here who continually berate the SUVs, I've owned (well one was a coy car) two "lifestyle" small SUV's for a combined total of 4 years and about 50,000 miles.

The kept going in adverse weather where "ordinary" 4wd cars were falling off the road.

The've gone up rutted tracks when "ordinary" cars would have grounded & got stuck.

They've been as much fun on tarmac roads as "ordinary" cars have been. Most of them handle really well nowadays too.

They are better through the speed bump ridden, badly surfaced, potholed excuse we have for roads these days.

They've been more "fun" to drive day to day, over long and short distances.

Evo mag published info about greenhouse gas emissions. SUV's in the UK make so little difference its hardly measurable.

So please, keep all your tossy. moany, bleaty whingeing "ordinary estates are better" crap to yourselves

They are not "better" than SUV's. They are different. Which is exactly the point.
Old 22 January 2007, 11:35 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I have a RAV4 and dont mind admitting to it Suits my needs , For instance a trip to Scarborough yesterday .... 5 adults 1 dog and a load of camera gear, try doing that in the A4 saloon before it or the STI PPP before that . Yes we did look at MPV's But didn't like any of them , far too ugly imo . The RAV is a great drive, does over 30 mpg, loads of room , airy , comfortable and well thought out , plus when the snow comes this week Ill have some fun
Old 22 January 2007, 11:43 AM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
So please, keep all your tossy. moany, bleaty whingeing "ordinary estates are better" crap to yourselves
Hmmm, no, keep your tossy, moany, bleaty, whinging, "your opinion is meaningless while mine isn't" crap to yourself
Old 22 January 2007, 12:01 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
Hmmm, no, keep your tossy, moany, bleaty, whinging, "your opinion is meaningless while mine isn't" crap to yourself
Sorry, didn't realise that 4 years and 50,000 miles of personal experience didn't count

Duh...this is scoobynet...of course it doesn't
Old 22 January 2007, 12:09 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ///\oo/\\\
Sorry, didn't realise that 4 years and 50,000 miles of personal experience didn't count

Duh...this is scoobynet...of course it doesn't
You missed the point, entirely, but then this is ScoobyNet
Old 22 January 2007, 12:09 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

We have done 17k in our 2 year old X3 3.0i. Its been faultless for us. Build quality is fine, no rattles etc, engine is perfect and auto box is smooth. On road manners are very good.

The only 1 thing I would fault the car on is its fuel consumption - <20mpg. But thats to be expected I guess.

The reason we got it is its the smallest refined 4x4 that we could find that would carry all of our kit and 2 dogs and cope with muddy tracks, snow and wading. Its no Defender 90 but its very capable on and off road. 0-60 in 7 seconds ish, keeps going to 140mph.

There is the image problem, which is fair enough but Subaru owners dont exactly have the best image either

We looked at the RX300 and Freelander and it was way way ahead of both.

I would love to replace it with a 3.0d version but its major £££. Might consider a Freelander II to replace it later in the year.
Old 22 January 2007, 12:22 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cottonfoo
You missed the point, entirely, but then this is ScoobyNet
Exactly
Old 22 January 2007, 12:45 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Final positions in the Dakar for the X3s were 6th and 15th out of 109 cars finishing, plus one X3 dropped out as above. The two X5s entered came 16th and 37th. Highest position for Bowler was 18th, highest for any Nissan was 22nd. Mitsubishi and VW have a lot to smile about.

Edit - BTW, the two Fiat Panda 4x4s dropped out on Stage 5

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 22 January 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 22 January 2007, 12:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

So if you want a BMW, SUV and the option to compete in next year's Dakar the X3 is just the ticket