Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2007, 09:57 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Civic Type-R prices

Just been given the prices for the Civic Type-R

£17,600 OTR for the basic trim
£18,600 OTR for the GT trim (Dual climate, cruise, foglamps, curtain airbags, auto lights and wipers)
£20,000 OTR for the GT plus Sat Nav & HFT

I'll leave it to you guys to comment further.
Old 10 January 2007, 10:06 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

How does that compare with the old prices?
Old 10 January 2007, 11:04 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just over £16k for the old one in basic trim but most specced the pricey air con at just over a grand.

Should think the GT trim will be the best seller.
Old 10 January 2007, 11:11 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Agreed GT will be the standard i expect. BTW what is HFT?
Old 10 January 2007, 11:27 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Hands Free Telephone.
Old 10 January 2007, 11:46 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ah! Thanks for that
Old 10 January 2007, 11:51 AM
ninjaguppy
Scooby Regular

any ideas on colour? The white concept looked awesome but I bet its gay red,dull black and no personality gunmetal!! They not official swatch names!
Old 10 January 2007, 12:28 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Guess it will be the usual colours ? Red, Black, Grey, Silver and White ?
Old 10 January 2007, 12:41 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Just had a live chat with Honda (Honda Car Experience Very good website) and it's -
Milano Red
Alabaster Silver
Nighthawk Black
Deep Bronze (black with a hint of rust apparently)!
Old 10 January 2007, 12:49 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Needs more power. It's heavier than it's predecessor, yet has the same engine power. A Clio 197, Mini Cooper S works, Focus ST, LCR etc, will run circles round it. Feel Honda have shot themselves in the foot with power.

It's competition are all cheaper too. Even a top spec ST in cheaper than top spec CTR.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10 January 2007, 12:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Agreed - The old CTR led the way with power.

Now it's waaaay behind.

Needs 250bhp and an LSD.
Old 10 January 2007, 04:34 PM
Mark2wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Agreed - The old CTR led the way with power.

Now it's waaaay behind.

Needs 250bhp and an LSD.

Not too keen on the new shape...
Agreed ,i paid 15000 for a X demo with 500miles on the clock about 3 yrs ago..A proper little fun car,but as matteeboy says they defo needed some sort of traction..i.e LSD
Needed 2 new front tyres after 9000 miles
Old 10 January 2007, 05:35 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Needs more power. It's heavier than it's predecessor, yet has the same engine power. A Clio 197, Mini Cooper S works, Focus ST, LCR etc, will run circles round it. Feel Honda have shot themselves in the foot with power.

It's competition are all cheaper too. Even a top spec ST in cheaper than top spec CTR.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
OK, you're wrong. Load up a Focus to this kind of spec and it will be more expensive.

Edited to say, exactly when will all these other cars run rings around it? Some of them may be faster at Santa Pod, but in the real world we are talking insignificant fractions. The Civic will be better built and more reliable than all of the above and, while we are talking about price, do you have any idea of the cost of a Mini Cooper S Works of the same spec as the top CTR? A LSD would be nice, but I never hankered after one in 50,000 miles. However, people coming from 4wd may struggle as all they do now is put their foot down and hold on - that takes no driver skill at all.

Edited again to say, it is a shame the new CTR has such boring wheels. The one's on the concept car looked miles better.

Edited again and again to say, I am looking forward to reading the reviews of the new CTR as my regular Civic feels like a really big car and I wonder if this feeling will be present in the Type-R version. I fear it may not feel as chuckable as the original.

Last edited by Blueblaster; 10 January 2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12 January 2007, 12:16 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

I would also hold my judgement in down crying the New CTR as to all these other cars will run rings round it, that is being a tad naieve.

Do you honestly think Honda will make a new hatch that for one will fall behind the current model, and secondly fall badly behind the competition, i personally dont think that will be the case. Again, where the New CTR may fail on straight line speed(probably not by much) it will make up for in the handling department and other areas.

I would wait and see, test drive it then pick the faults or give the praise.

Paul
Old 12 January 2007, 01:47 AM
Ministry Maniac
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster

It is a shame the new CTR has such boring wheels. The one's on the concept car looked miles better.

100% agree, they look really dull. They should be on the sport not the type-R. Maybe you can spec better alloys as an option??
Old 12 January 2007, 12:32 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

£1400 for sat nav and hands free - stroll on. Bet they sell none of those.

And why no white FFS?! What are Honda thinking about.

And the point has already been made, why not 240 bhp? Ok the F20C from the S2000 wont fit, but they have the means to do it to the Civic engine. Unless they are sticking to the fabled 200 bhp fwd limit? No LSD either?!

Im a huge Honda fan, but this is all wrong IMO. Looks great though.

Hot hatch market has moved on - look at the new clio power output!

MB
Old 12 January 2007, 12:54 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I seem to have hit a couple raw nerves.

OK, the phrase "Running ring round it" was just a turn of phrase. I know in the real world there won't be much in it, but I stand by what I said about it needing more power. A Focus ST has 225bhp, and easily chipped for more.
Old 12 January 2007, 01:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Honda are doing their own thing and not trying to get into a power race, to have more power than the current crop would involve having at least 270 BHP to give a Margin over the Mazda MPS and Astra VXR.

Maybe it's a fantastic drive even given its (compartively) low output.

I think most of the problem is that we are getting used to seeing bigger and bigger outputs, look at the daft creations the germans are producing just to win the power struggle, does anyone really need a 600 bhp Merc coupe ?

Oh, and maybe they are leaving room for an RR ?
Old 12 January 2007, 03:21 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

IMO, a Type-R should be a drivers car... while the EP3 was a decent drive, it wasnt as raw as a DC2/EK9 was, which are 'proper' Type-R cars.

Lightweight, no mod cons, LSD and a focused drive. Would be good if they did a lightweight one, but I doubt it, they'll make enough money with their HFTs, Auto this'n'that, Cruise, etc in the lardy Stock/GT model...

Wonder if the new JDM CTR will be better again, the last one (EP3) came with 220bhp and an LSD as standard.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12 January 2007, 03:42 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

DC5 is still the modern FWD to have IMO.

DC2 if you can live with the rawness.

And S2000 if you want more power and RWD fun

I see the Civic as one for joe bloggs.

MB
Old 12 January 2007, 04:03 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
DC5 is still the modern FWD to have IMO.
Agreed.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 12 January 2007, 09:32 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Talking

TBH I don't understand the rawness comments regarding the DC2, it isnt exacty hard core the set up in my old EK9 was a harder drive and an Elise even more so, Caterfield is raw, get real guys!!!

As for critising the latest incarnation before anyone has driven it RAOTFL, tell me exactly how you know the RS and 192 will be quicker and since when has more power ment it is quicker. Looks wise the EP3 is best described as an angled brick, at least this version has some style.
Finally as I said to the dealer with the EP3 he won't be getting my money until a white version is launched, 4 years on, money still waiting Honda Marketing are fantastic shame the UK bosses really don't have a clue!
Old 12 January 2007, 11:34 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Type R
TBH I don't understand the rawness comments regarding the DC2, it isnt exacty hard core the set up in my old EK9 was a harder drive and an Elise even more so, Caterfield is raw, get real guys!!!

As for critising the latest incarnation before anyone has driven it RAOTFL, tell me exactly how you know the RS and 192 will be quicker and since when has more power ment it is quicker. Looks wise the EP3 is best described as an angled brick, at least this version has some style.
Finally as I said to the dealer with the EP3 he won't be getting my money until a white version is launched, 4 years on, money still waiting Honda Marketing are fantastic shame the UK bosses really don't have a clue!

Well said sir.

Paul
Old 13 January 2007, 12:00 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Anyone thinking about ordering SATNAV for their CTR should know that the system is brilliant. I have just driven back from Italy in my Civic and the SATNAV diverted me around several big accidents. The stereo upgrade is also excellent and should be chosen if budget permits.
Old 13 January 2007, 10:01 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Type R - ive onwed one and I didnt like it as a daily driver. Great car but just too rattly and noisy. The S2000 was much better, but obviously a different car.

I think the Evo is quite bearable, but not the ITR for me.

As for criticising it before driving, well yes you have a point, but the facts are there. Its heavier and has the same power and no LSD. Is that progress?

MB
Old 13 January 2007, 10:08 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Maybe Honda are doing their own thing and not trying to get into a power race, to have more power than the current crop would involve having at least 270 BHP to give a Margin over the Mazda MPS and Astra VXR.
Top brass from Honda were quoted saying exactly that during the development of the new CTR.
Old 13 January 2007, 12:53 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Type R - ive onwed one and I didnt like it as a daily driver. Great car but just too rattly and noisy. The S2000 was much better, but obviously a different car.

I think the Evo is quite bearable, but not the ITR for me.

As for criticising it on before driving, well yes you have a point, but the facts are there. Its heavier and has the same power and no LSD. Is that progress?

MB
I think one of the things that many people on this site forget is that not all performance cars are driven like they have been stolen. I did 50,000 miles in my CTR and the only time I wanted a LSD was first thing in the morning when the tarmac was slippery and I was pulling out of my sleepy inclined driveway onto the main road. Not once when I was pressing on did I give it a second thought. If you want to take the car on the track or drive like a loony in greasy conditions then a LSD might be useful. For the rest of us we are better off saving a grand and doing without.

Dark Blue Mark, the comment about the CTR being for Joe Bloggs is just silly. The DC2 is very old now, the DC5 was never imported and the S2000 is not very practical. The CTR offers the best of all worlds which is what the majority of people really need. Yes they could offer a stripped out version but only a handful of people would buy it. I still maintain that as an off-the-peg car the CTR was and still will be the best car available. Price, practicality, value, residuals, reliabilty and good dealers mean it will be the car to beat.
Old 13 January 2007, 04:25 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

I think the CTR would have benefited highly from an LSD.

Maybe others dont think so, maybe i was just able to push the CTR to its limits more than others, i dont know.

I had the CTR on track and i would not say it was Terrible, but what i would say is that it understeered pretty badly, when i compared it with the likes of the 182 Cupped version that i also took on track.

On B roads i also found this, when pushing really hard you did not know where you where with the front end, partly due to poor steering feel and understeer. I did not realise how bad it had been until i got my 182(which i dont have now) then the levels of grip and steering feel offered surpassed the CTR.

Dont get me wrong the CTR is still a class act in the handling department, i should know because i bought another one after the 182, but i certainely never bought it because it was way quicker or handled better than the 182, but the point i am trying to make is, well jump in a DC5/DC2 and you know what i mean on B roads or track, they have something which the CTR Uk Is missing.

I still have fond memories of my CTRs and the gearbox, well, dont think i will ever have the pleasure of driving something with such a proficent gearbox.

Paul
Old 13 January 2007, 04:32 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

This is just a question and I am not being all hollier than thou. How many people actually drive so fast on B-roads that they suffer traction problems in a CTR?
Old 13 January 2007, 04:37 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Just buy an LSD for the new one if everyone wants one!!!!! they arnt really expensive!

Quick Reply: New Civic Type-R prices