The offer is on the table...AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2007, 04:01 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The offer is on the table...AGAIN

I've been offered a 96 RX7....
In any colour I want, he'll convert it to a single turbo (brand new) new engine, fit an apexi fc, fmic, basically get 450bhp out of it safely for my 2001 WRX Bugeye.

Do I get into something cheaper to run (engine re-builds at £2k a pop) and enjoy the RWD i've come to love from my skyline, or stick with the scoob and plug the £7k into it that as I was about to....or do this and keep the £7k in my pocket....to get more out of the scoob.

I love rex's and as I don't drive that much anymore, enjoy it as a weekend car or what?!?

Options are driving me mad....

GGG
Old 09 January 2007, 04:11 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I like the RX7 - there is a guy on Northloop with one that looks stunning so I would have one over a skyline / scooby
Old 09 January 2007, 04:14 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Well i've worked a lot on a mates one, my other mate (who's made me the offer) actually builds and tunes them so I won't ever get caught short...
I just don't want to loose loads of money in the long run.....

For £10k I could get a very decent spec'd rex but it'll never sell for that in the long run, but then again, nothing ever does....
Old 09 January 2007, 04:34 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

engine rebuild for a rex is around 1100 quid if yo uhavent sestroyed it and needs tips done etc... but cramped, expensive on fuel( 40 to a tenner with a light foot) and in no way in the same league as a skyline. so supra tt is the way yo go now i think !
Old 09 January 2007, 04:48 PM
mark engers
BANNED

Tenacity 10/10
Old 09 January 2007, 04:50 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

I do like the skyline but the mods can get pricey at the top end....thats why I was thinking of going for the rex.....cheap and easy to fix when broken...

Last edited by Chris L; 09 January 2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09 January 2007, 05:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

RX7 are crap.

Why anyone would want to own such an unreliable car I have no idea.

Cars are to be driven not fixed.

Whats this about spending 7k on a WRX???? Madness, either get an Sti or get rid of it.
Old 09 January 2007, 06:01 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
RX7 are crap.

Why anyone would want to own such an unreliable car I have no idea.

Cars are to be driven not fixed.

Whats this about spending 7k on a WRX???? Madness, either get an Sti or get rid of it.
RX7's are alot more reliable then people give them credit for.

Bloody awesome cars,
Old 09 January 2007, 06:09 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

By an RX7 and stick a Chevy LS1 in it!!!
Old 09 January 2007, 06:47 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bat-Fink
RX7's are alot more reliable then people give them credit for.

Bloody awesome cars,
I've only read stuff on here etc, but the need for rebuilds, high oil consupmsumption, high fuel consumption. All these things don't sound like good things to me.

They might be great to drive.....
Old 09 January 2007, 06:49 PM
Bat-Fink
Scooby Regular

I've only read stuff on here etc, but the need for rebuilds, high oil consupmsumption, high fuel consumption. All these things don't sound like good things to me.

They might be great to drive.....
Say no more.
Old 09 January 2007, 07:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Thats from the owners I may add.

But yep, I've read enough to know not to bother.

Of course if we had to have first hand experience of everything before being allowed to comment then there would be no car forums.
Old 09 January 2007, 09:31 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Try and keep the thread vaguely on topic chaps. If you want to bash each other with handbags, go and do it somewhere else.
Old 10 January 2007, 05:23 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Look at the residuals; youre far less likely to lose money on an RX7 than you are on an Impreza...
Old 10 January 2007, 07:10 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by GC8
Look at the residuals; youre far less likely to lose money on an RX7 than you are on an Impreza...
The huge running costs of the RX7 tend to even out the cost of depreciation in this case. That said an unmodified RX7 as to be a better bet than an abused, high mileage, stickered up, badly modifed tarts handbag of a bugeye.
If I was cripple I'd bite the guy's hand off and offload an unsaleable car which is worth 6K trade- as I think I might have said before.
Old 10 January 2007, 08:52 AM
PPPRob
Scooby Regular

Although I don't agree with Torpids tone (you guys obviously have clashed before!!!) I think he's right about shifting your car.

By the sounds of it, you've modified it in a way that potentially has limited your market for it and may be a lot better off in the long run with an RX7. And as you like them anyway

Whats the insurance like compared to what you have now just outta interest???
Old 10 January 2007, 12:38 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Well as i've got a good insurer (the mad moley) I doubt it'll be much different from what i've paid for this year already.

Had a look at two he's got and one of them (a 95) is in amazing condition with all the right stuff....so it's a case of a new engine, small street port and a single turbo conversion.

And as from what I can find out, Mazda arn't bringing out a newer model (I know the RX-8 but thats never been better than the RX-7) I think a well modified RX-7 won't loose as much in the long run. Plus what with the new Subaru on the horizon, it could be a good move.

Going to go and strike a deal tonight with any luck!

Last edited by Tripple'O G; 10 January 2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10 January 2007, 12:56 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Here's wishing you all the luck you deserve.
Old 11 January 2007, 11:23 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Mmmm, would love an RX7.....

Had an RX8 and your right, despite the fact i've never been in an RX7 i would still bet its a lot better.... the RX8 was lovely, pretty quick for a NA 1.3 but overall it didn't really bite me....

The RX7 on the other hand has me hooked on looks alone (FD obviously)....

Good luck and keep us posted... a single turbo conversion will be a monster with the RWD but i guess your skyline experience will have you "trained" up for that!
Old 11 January 2007, 01:45 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Scan read the thread- But How wrong you are about RX7's. Buy a good one and sensibly and have a little in reserve just in case, and you won't got far wrong.

As for running costs, they can be serviced yourself easlily, negatting main dealer or garage costs. They don't need AYC fluids changed like Evo's, they don't eat spark splugs, and will look after you so long as you look after it.

Yes they drink petrol if you boot it, but so does any jap turbo car especially ones running circa 400bhp and huge injectors.

Engine will last 60K miles or more with new RX8 tips. Don't forget most of these are running 400bhp. Most 400bhp cars might let go after 60+K miles, but they will cost a damn site more than £2K to rebuild if they do.

Relatively little outlay on a RX7 can gain massive performance, and the feeling of serious power in a very low slug proper sports car, through the rear wheels is something that can only be commented on, if you have been there and done it and experienced it.

I had a 2.5 20g classic circa 380/380, and the RX7 puts a bigger smile on my face, and thats with 350 ish HP. Big single turbo and the works must make for a truly awsome car that could only be rivalled with a true exotica like Nobles, ferraries, etc.

My only critism of the car, which depending on your viewpoint is not a critism, is that its such a raw experience. The car is rock hard, and you feel everything back through the car. The steering is very twitchy over the lumps and bumps and getting the power down is diffucult. You might as well forget 2nd and 3rd on a mildly damp road with 400 horses through the rear wheels with a big turbo kick. If you want a car that has more power than you can ever use then the heavily modded RX7 is your car.

Personally when I tune a car I alaways aim for just this, i.e more power than I can sensibly use without crashing. My 350+BHP RX7 can acheive this. 450+HP would be insane. But boy would I like to try it.

It would cost you serious money to take a scoob to a bonkers real driving experience power level.

If you do decide to stick with a scoob, I would say as above, sell up, get a JDM STI, and tek it and tune to the max but it still won't FEEL bonkers quick like the RX7 will.

Forget the mechanic problems its a myth, with the money you will save by going the RX7 route you should be able to afford 3K left in the bank for IF the engine ever goes, and have total piece of mind. Rather than spend to the max on a scoob have nothing left and still potentially cost you a rebuild at some point.

In summary If Its a toy RX7 all the way, if its a daily driver then Scoob or something else completely.
Old 11 January 2007, 01:48 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I'd bet most aren't running 400 bhp.
Old 11 January 2007, 01:57 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Going back to the economics of it, 2001 WRX for a monster rebuilt RX7. In terms of the financial side...... if this is on offer then its a no brainer to me.

2001 WRX sorry peeps but say 8-9K tops in the current market. 8-9K for a 96 new resprayed and rebuilt single turbo RX7 is superb value for money. But I would want a kit and some wheels as well. As in standard trim they looks a bit normal.!
Old 11 January 2007, 02:02 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

I'd bet most aren't running 400 bhp.
Fairplay, and comment. Probably allot claiming 400bhp, but only a single turbo conversion will give a true 400+BHP.

Standard trim will see you 300+ with nothing more than zorst and filter.

320+ from stock twins intercooler, filter, and Apexi, stock fueling, drivetrain

350+ from stock twins modded to non sequential, front mount, filter, ECU and a few other tweaks and changes, stock fueling and drive train.

400++++++ from Single turbo, larger injectors, stronger clutch, larger injectors, fuel pump, fuel rail but still stock gearbox.
Old 11 January 2007, 02:26 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobEvo5
Going back to the economics of it, 2001 WRX for a monster rebuilt RX7. In terms of the financial side...... if this is on offer then its a no brainer to me.

2001 WRX sorry peeps but say 8-9K tops in the current market. 8-9K for a 96 new resprayed and rebuilt single turbo RX7 is superb value for money. But I would want a kit and some wheels as well. As in standard trim they looks a bit normal.!
If the RX7 is worth as much as people say then it is a good swap. I would like to see someone actually get £8-9k for a 6 year old WRX. You can get a new one for £15k. I would say the true value is closer to £6k.
Old 11 January 2007, 02:30 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

My mate is after an RX7, but he wants a STOCK FACTORY uk one. Finding a decent one like that in good condition that has been unmolested is proving to a very difficult task without paying over the odds.

Everyone has riced and thus ruined them now No wonder they have a reliability reputation......
Old 11 January 2007, 02:32 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark Champion
By an RX7 and stick a Chevy LS1 in it!!!
Go one better, put an LS7 in
Old 11 January 2007, 02:35 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
If the RX7 is worth as much as people say then it is a good swap. I would like to see someone actually get £8-9k for a 6 year old WRX. You can get a new one for £15k. I would say the true value is closer to £6k.
I was being kind to all those WRX 2001 owners, but in which case the swap to the RX7 makes even more sense. I must admit the 2001WRX IMHO has to be the worst pick of all the scoobs available, which will have an affect on risiduals as well lol.

With reference to the thread post:
If you have 7K to spend on top of your WRX, then another option for you- Buy my RX7 in the for sale thread and keep your WRX as well, and still have enough left for a rebuild it you ever needed it.
Old 11 January 2007, 02:38 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
My mate is after an RX7, but he wants a STOCK FACTORY uk one. Finding a decent one like that in good condition that has been unmolested is proving to a very difficult task without paying over the odds.

Everyone has riced and thus ruined them now No wonder they have a reliability reputation......
Wise choice - buy stock and then modify yourself once in the UK. Just like my one.! did I tell you guys my car was for sale

Most imports are running dodgy mines ECU's and the like, running higher boost without any consideration to fueling, Ron, knock, etc. Hence they go pop.
Old 15 January 2007, 07:20 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments......maybe I didn't make myself clear enough.....

I know a fair bit about rex's and have been under enough to know the who, whats and wheres........having two good friends with some serious power (ROB 5, even better than John Yorks old yellow that everyone raved about) one who owns the rex tuning company I maybe doing business with....

I like to see the negatory comments about the 2001 WRX but hey, i'm talking re-sale into a market for it...not walking into a main dealer and taking trade money for it...so I will be getting the money I want for it.....

What I wasn't sure about is taking a step back into an "old" car.....however that decision has been made and i'd like to say, watch this spce....

Thanks for the "advice"

Last edited by Tripple'O G; 15 January 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:17 AM
Cipher
Scooby Regular

14 minutes, that's slacking.